Crappy Replicas thread | Page 126 | FerrariChat

Crappy Replicas thread

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ninyo, May 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I have no way of knowing if that is the same car, but I remember seeing one in person in
    1999 at the FCA National Meet at the Chateau Elan outside of Atlanta.

The owner was quite pleased with himself because his car was being photographed as he
    entered the parking lot. I smiled and said "nice looking replica". He told me that it was an
    original "Ferrari BB Spyder". I then started listing all of the differences between a true
    512 bbi and this Fiero in fiberglass clothing. And then I told him if he did not want to be
    ridiculed, he would park that thing down the road.

Whether he took my advise or not, I don't know. But I do know that I didn't see the car
    or the owner again during the weekend.

2. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    #3127 DiabloTerr, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I don't mind anyone being into replicas, even crappy ones, until they start sticking actual emblems and brands on them. When they start trying to pass them off as authentic, that's my limit.

4. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    that would be a great mini/micro car for my kids!

5. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I notice there is no picture showing the fit of the doors with them closed! I'm SURE those panels line up perfectly...at least, judging from how the front bonnet perfectly follows the nose of the car, if by perfect, you mean within a few inches.

6. DiabloTerr

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    It looks like a modified NAERC Body, the door should line up fine unless the builder was lazy/incompetent.

7. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    What's the difference between a crappy replica and a not-so-crappy one?

Crappy: (1) Has ferrari badges and emblems. Owner says some nonsense about it being "an original 512 BB Spyder," or otherwise claims that his non-existent "Ferrari" model is real.

(2) Has Ferrari badges and emblems. Admits that it's not real, but tells you that his car is actually better than your Ferrari: it's faster, handles better, even rarer, etc. (If Firebirds, MR2's, Fieros, etc. are so much better than Ferraris, why don't Ferrari owners try to make their cars look like those?)

Not-So-Crappy: (1) Has a Firebird, MR2, etc. which is made to look like a Ferrari, but owner will readily admit that it isn't one, and (2) the car does not have Ferrari emblems or badges.

Actually Pretty Cool: The car has an all-original, one-off design (even cooler if designed by the owner) and a powerful American muscle car engine (even cooler if the owner is an engineer and/or mechanic who put it together himself) Okay, so everyone knows it's a Fiero or whatever, or at least started life as such, but nobody is trying to pass it off as something else.

That I can respect. Fakes and phonies I don't.

8. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    That discription isn't a replica though...

I will say though, that a well built replica of an unownable vehicle, is definitely not crappy. Example, Delmar Benjamin's R2, I've been in the cockpit when I was a kid. Thing is cool as heck, no originals survived, and it had a really bad reputation for killing its occupants, building an exacting replica, and putting it to the test is pretty cool.

On a similar vein, there are old race cars, that are practically unobtanium, maybe they sit in a collection somewhere, never get driven, just sitting. They were built to drive, making a replica, putting a sporty engine in, and driving the heck out of it - thats cool. Theres a 250 TR replica, built by the guy who built the original GT40's back in the day. I've often seen drive by my workplace. Cool car, really nice to see it out and about.

What I don't understand, is building a replica of a production car, that is likely to depreciate to sub $100K prices, 355, 348, 360, 430, 458, etc.

I also, have to agree, some of these cars PLASTER badges, emblems, and scrip all OVER. In the steering wheel, head rests, door jams, glove box, shifter, center console, dash, front badge, grill badge, sie badge, rear badge, wheels, brakes, more places than I can describe.

A real Ferrari, blends the interior, the one the steering wheel is emphasized, maybe its in a few other places to, but in a much more subdued manner, perhaps engraved into metal, left the metal color, or embossed somewhere, but again, subtle and blending in. Looks really crappy to have it plastered all over, when the real one doesn't.

9. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Point conceded.

All right. I'm okay with that.

A friend of my father had a "Rotus," a Japanese replica of a Lotus 7. This doesn't quite fit your completely unobtainium criteria, but the guy wanted an inexpensive replica. He didn't have any Lotus badges on it and even had a sense of humor about its not being the real thing.

I'm with you there.

If, as our scabrous "Skullangel" claims, Fieros are vastly superior to 308s, why don't all 308 owners try to replicate Fiero bodies and stick them on our cars? Why try - way too hard - to convince everyone that your car REALLY IS A FERRARI, and then, when you're called on it, claim that it's really a better car anyway?

Here's the thing: ANY Ferrari is better than ANY kit car, by virtue of being original. . . Yeah, reproductions of famous, one-off, unobtainable limited-edition sports cars can be cool. But when someone starts with this cr@p about "it's-actually-rarer/faster/better than a real one," well, don't pi$$ on my leg and tell me it's raining.

10. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Gee, I wonder why no one bought last summer at $100K, or a little after next time it was listed @ $90K(With a false Yahoo exposure claiming "man builds his own supercar.) Or at $80K, or $70K.

The owner trying to flip some fiberglass body panels he bought off of someone else for a huge profit, should save himself some time and list it a little more at what its worth. A sucker might bite at $20K, a big sucker, $30K. The car has been listed ever since he built it.

11. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
  12. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Sure has a Mosler look to it...

13. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
  14. VF1Skullangel

VF1Skullangel Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmPD5fB2lfg[/ame]

Everytime I see a replica like this I think of the move The Thing because its a disgusting imitation ;)

15. DiabloTerr

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    DC Supercars Diablo Roadster Replica. They kill me when they add the fake emblems...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU4Cm6mKAAE&feature=related[/ame]

16. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
  17. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
  18. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Have to agree ! ! ! Looks just like .........a...........ummmmmm..........the spawn of a Corvette and a Maytag washing machine box.

Now, we know.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  20. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Wherever it is it must be a scary place.
    Where are the Fiero fanatics decrying the desecration of their beloveds?

21. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    "Fiero fanatics?"

22. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    There must be some ;)

23. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    Chicks in his 'hood obviously don't know jack about cars.