Went to the dark side.... McLaren showroom opening tonight | FerrariChat

Went to the dark side.... McLaren showroom opening tonight

Discussion in 'Australia' started by psw, Mar 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #1 psw, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Olly & I went along to the opening of the new Australian McLaren showroom tonight, part of the Trivett Group, small showroom, final car looks better than the pre-production ones we saw at the MCA last year.

We knew Ron Dennis was going to be present, but I sought of thought Jenson or Lewis would be there given they are here in Aus and they were out at Eastern Creek yesterday. Ron opened the showroom & spoke for quite a while, surprisingly he was quite witty & funny, not as stitched up as his bio implies.....he was happy to crouch down & have his photo taken with Olly, Olly closed his eyes given Ron comes from the dark side :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    #2 Dipsomaniac, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
    Cool .. where have they put the showroom (William St I assume) and do you know when they'll be delivering the first customer cars? & I agree Ron is a perfectionist in everything he does, but is surprisingly down to earth when you meet him.

3. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    O'Riordan St Alexandria on the way to the airport.....down with RR, Bentley, Aston Martin etc, 2 cars there one registered, it is a demo vehicle.

4. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    ah right I didn't realise they'd all moved over there.

Singapore has 2 registered "customer" cars (Peter Lim & his wife - major shareholders in McLaren Group) & 1 demo on the road already .. but no showroom. There should be 6 real customer cars delivered supposedly by the end of this month. Oh & they're already taking deposits on the MP12C convertible/spider/volante/cabrio/drophead or what ever they'll call it.

5. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Showroom here is open but no car... last time I went by the space was occupied by an F1 shape (didn't go in to see but assumed it was just a mule).
    PS Saw a Zonda on the road last night - curiously 'hollow' exhaust note?

6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Who cares about the macca, which Zonda did you spot :D :D :D

7. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Silver one, heading to Pokfulam (actually probably the one that lives at Bel Air come to think of it...)

8. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ive actually seen the Orange macca sitting in the Krispy Kreme carpark! I had to double take when i saw it, the orange is stunning.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It took a child to make Ron Dennis smile! :)

Those are some great pics.

10. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You're right there.....and only mine could have done it :p

11. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I wonder if they sold any today :p

12. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    #12 I16, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Happened past the Mcshop today and they now have a very nice toffee apple red M4 sitting there. Nice size and shape (doesn't look enormous like current F and L cars); very nice understated interior but unfortunately smells very plastic. Showroom model missing a pedal and had steel discs, apparently ceramic are options. Odd orange calipers on the car and interestingly branded McLaren. Unfortunately nothing much visible of the engine with the lid closed, but I guess there's really 'nothing to see here folks' on most modern engines. The other odd thing was how high the exhaust is located - can see lots of ladies spitting chips if they happen to be standing behind one when it's started.
    Didn't ask the price but since the list on a 500 Tributo here is well over A$100,000 I guess it doesn't matter that I don't know...