Route 66---Very interesting piece. | FerrariChat

Route 66---Very interesting piece.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tonyh, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  2. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Tony,

Come on out to AZ some time we can go cruise around RT 66 in AZ and NM

Rob

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Rob,
    if i'm ever out your way, i'll come by and surprise you!
    Tony

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Tony, you are really pushing my buttons with this one. While there are some beautiful and interesting drives in the Eastern part of the USA, there is nothing like getting lost in the Rockies. If you take the time to learn a bit of the history, it doesn't get much better than a Western road trip.

Here's one example: One Summer, I drove almost 10,000 around Texas in two months giving seminers here and there. Most people will tell you that it doesn't get much more boring than West Texas. However, while driving south of Carlsberg Caverns, New Mexico, I stubbled accross an historical marker about how a local doctor had discovered an entire wagon train buried in the sand back in the 30s. As best they could figure, the train had been attacked by Indians sometime around the 1840s (probably Comanches). They later searched all the historical archives that they could find to discover the identity of this lost wagon train. No luck. To this day, they don't have a clue as to who these people were or where they were from. It's still there. Roughly 40 wagons out there in the sand.

There's more. Oh, I've got lots and lots of stories of Western road trips. Seeing ball lightning at while crossing a high 9,000 foot valley in Colorado, ghost towns in the middle of Nevada, finding a crystal clear and ice-cool spring in Utah, racing hard core bikers (the real thing) over the LoLo pass in Montana, finding (the hard way) a VW graveyard in the the middle of Utah and the list goes on and on....

Ah man, you gotta come over. We'll have a blast!

Dr "Lonesome Highway" Tax

5. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I grew up in Gallup, NM when Rt. 66 was the only hi-way through New Mexico (I-40 was almost done). To this day I can hear my mother's voice telling us kids to "go play in the middle of 66!".

I do virtually all my F-car road trips on Rt66/I-40 and the Southwest in general. I have relatives in Albuquerque, Phoenix, Mesquite, Las Vegas and Gallup that I try to see every year.

You really should try seeing the Southwest, and not just Rt. 66 - it is an amazing part of the country!

6. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    btw
    tony

whered you get your avatar