FCA at VIR 3/19-20! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

FCA at VIR 3/19-20!

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by marcmc8867, Jan 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Love your challenge car, but who the hell is that older, balding guy in my Atom!

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Hahaha! That FAST older, balding guy? Sir Stirling, Junior! :D

3. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#78 NbyNW, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Should have posted this one instead!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Hahaha! Poor Christian... he only looks good from the back ;)

5. Photog

Photog Formula 3

Sep 24, 2009
    Kansas City, Mo
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #80 Photog, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    VIDEO TIME

If you saw me out at VIR I had my GoProHD2 attached to my hip. I am still uploading some other videos including Howards video, but in the mean time here are some for you to enjoy.

All filmed on my GoProHD2

Ferrari GTO Lightshow: http://vimeo.com/38943945

Ferrari 360 Challenge Race Car (Andrew Caputo): http://vimeo.com/39004135

Ferrari 355 Challenge Race Car (Charlie Vest): http://vimeo.com/39034427

Bennett and I on the parade lap (my first time on a track): http://vimeo.com/39008281

6. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
  7. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    Here is Karl Troy driving my 458 at VIR.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P9MwuC3ODMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    Clearly I dont know how to do this, what do I pick from youtube to embed the video?

Joe

9. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Let's try this

http://www.youtube.com/embed/P9MwuC3ODMw

Thank you Joe for the opportunity to instruct you and Marcus and for making such huge progress in a 2 day period.
    A huge thank you for letting me give the awesome F458 a try. Not many would would just toss the keys to their pride an joy to their instructor.

Karl

10. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    I just watched your awesome video Karl. Way to go, man! I wish I could have been there. The 458 really seems to be a cut above the rest, especially with YOU driving it!

11. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Thanks to everyone who helped out on this event. Always great to get back out on the track. And with such an awesome group, that makes it very special.

A few of us discussed the possibility of going up to Summit Point later this year. Pencil in July 7-8 with www.TrackDaze.com I will start a post on the "Racing/tracking" forum.

12. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    #87 DCNSX, Mar 23, 2012
    Also, at the end of the day Tuesday, a Lamborghini factory transporter showed up, with an orange Aventador in the back (one of two in the country). The car had been delivered to a Saudi prince in Miami, but he didn't like the car. So, it was on its way to the dealer in DC with only 108 miles on the clock.

Lucky me- I was able to see three cars for the first time in the flesh at this event: Lotus Evora (very quick, BTW) , McLaren and the Aventador.

13. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

BAJEEZUS KARL! What a treat! Thank you for making my Friday so sweet. Me thinks you've been around that track once or twice before. ;)

14. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Looks like you had fun, Karl! Kudos to the owner.

15. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    #90 DCNSX, Mar 23, 2012
  16. CVest308QV

CVest308QV Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Glastonbury, CT
    Full Name:
    Charlie Vest
    Well, I’m going to fess up that it was me in my F355 Challenge Car (#14) that went off of the drying, yet still wet, track on Monday morning. The car simply snapped on me at just 40-50 mph when applying very subtle acceleration in the middle of the “snake” portion of the course. The car behind me, an F430 Challenge car, also went off but there was no contact between the cars before or – thank goodness – during or after the spins (thank you Joe for not hitting me). You can give a race track all of the respect it commands as is humanly possible, which is certainly called for at all times at VIR and which I honestly felt I was giving, but sometimes you can still get bitten and that’s a risk we all take when we’re out there in harms way. I’m not proud of what was my second off ever on a race track and first in over 7-1/2 years, I blame nothing but my own driver error, and I apologize to all for the closure of the track that ate into everyone else’s track time.

With that said, I wanted to share the following thoughts…

First, the outpouring of concern for my safety and wellbeing by track workers and fellow drivers was overwhelming. I can’t thank them enough.

Second, if you’re going to partake in the hobby of track driving, safety equipment is paramount. Even though it was at relatively low speed, my car slid backwards into the tire wall with a blow that drove my neck and body hard forward, and the back end of the car probably went at least six to eight feet in the air before landing straight down again on the rear wheels. My HANS device, six point harness, roll cage, etc. did their jobs and I emerged from the accident with absolutely no physical effects or pain (immediately or in the days since). I was VERY lucky that the only pain I experienced was a bruised ego. If you do not have a HANS device, please please please get one and use it.

Third, there’s something to be said for “making lemonade out of lemons,” particularly after something like this happens and you can’t help but kick yourself when you’re down. While sulking and resigned that my event was over, the Independent Ferrari Service Team Pilota crew (John Tirrell along with Ben and Corbin) saw that by taking off a few broken body pieces, removing my rear wing, and – cringe – crowbarring some already bent metal to ensure my rear lid would latch securely and there would be enough clearance between the right rear quarter panel and wheel, my wounded car just might be driveable. After a mechanical inspection and shaking the car down in the far end of the paddock, it was deemed safe enough to do some easy test laps out on the track. After a few test laps where the car drove straight and true without any noticeable impacts on braking, turning, or anything else mechanical, we deemed it safe enough to drive at speed. Miracle of miracles, my event wasn’t over after all and I can’t thank John and team enough for getting me back in the saddle and out on the track again. It was the chicken soup I needed for my soul. I drove a joyous last two red group sessions on Monday at speed and without a hitch, and then came Tuesday…

On Tuesday, I drove in every red group session and took advantage of every opportunity I had to also drop down a group and take passengers and share the experience in my race car – with fellow drivers showing them my approaches to the track and, for a couple of sessions, out with Matt Wiley (check out his awesome high definition videos in post #80 of this thread) who had a rough few days leading up to the event but decided to come out anyways. By the time the day was over, I had clocked in nearly 3-1/2 hours of track time and 240 miles on the race car... more driving in one day than I had ever done in my previous 10 years and 135+ days on the track doing this great hobby.

Thank you again to all who showed their concerns and helped me out, and a big thank you must also go out to the FCA Southeast Region event organizers. Monday may not have been my brightest day ever, but I’m already longing to get back to VIR again.

Most Sincerely,

Charlie Vest
    Team Pilota F355 Challenge Car #14

17. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Great post, Charlie! Thanks to you and the whole Pilota team for coming down!

18. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Yes Daniel, a couple of times. Next time we'll go fast, lol.

Karl

19. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Daniel, you don't know how true that is... ;)

20. davew

davew Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 26, 2006
    South Boston, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave White
    #95 davew, Mar 23, 2012
    This was the first time I have attended an event since joining FCA last November after purchasing my 328GTS. Although I only came out to watch, I enjoyed meeting many of you, and hope to meet many more of you at future events.

21. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Dave it was nice to meet you. Your car was parked right in frt. of my office #17.
    Next time make sure you get that car out on track and join the good times.

Karl

22. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Hey Charlie, I don't think there is any need to apologize - not sure if you have driven on VIR in the wet, but 5A is wicked in the wet. I actually made that very comment to Peter at the end of our driver's meeting, and I felt that it should have been mentioned by Dan. You were probably doing what seemed reasonable, but 5A when wet has a coefficient of friction just above snail snot.

I agree whole heartedly with your sentiment about safety. Also, please know that it could always be worse; I caused our last SRA race to finish under full course yellow, that is an ego check that still stings 4 months later. I too came out relatively unscathed, except for some soreness - thanks to hans, etc.

Here is hoping that your repair bill does not accelerate the aging process.

23. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    We've all had our humbling experiences which can lead to a lot of growth provided we live through them. It's part of the deal. Crashing, losing your brakes at 180, even those things have to be practiced. We just hate to do it. As your comfort level and confidence
    increases time slows down when these things occur. It seems like slow motion that gives you time to let your newly learned instinct make your moves.
    How do I know? lol

24. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Chip, the 458 is amazing. A Ferrari that does what you want it to do. They haven't made one of those in a while. I was highly impressed. That's a car I would enjoy for sure. May be one day.

Karl

25. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    This is when Joe threw me the keys to his 458 and said " take your son Sean out and have some fun"
    I have never had students like Joe and his brother in law Marcus before in my life. In 2 days a friendship has been created that will last a lifetime.

http://youtu.be/q6m2suyUD4Y

Karl