430 exhaust in a 360 Need Help | FerrariChat

430 exhaust in a 360 Need Help

Discussion in '360/430' started by nchhotu, Mar 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Need some help. I have a complete 430 exhaust system(muffler,tips) what needs to be modified in order to install. I hear bracket modification and shortening the exhaust tips. I also have read that you don't need to cut the tips if you remove the crate. Another cocern is hoe the exhuast mounts in the 360. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Why not sell the 430 exhaust and get a 360 one? If hacking up your car is necessary to make a 430 exhaust fit, that will kill its resale value. What is motivating your swap? I don't think the 430 exhaust will flow significantly more or sound that much louder to offset the trouble and cost.

3. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I have heard the 430 exhaust in a few 360's and it sounds really nice. The muffler is the same as the one in the 360 CS. I have read that the install requires a few mods and was hoping on getting some specific details.

4. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    the exterior dimensions are the same but he intenals are not . I fitted one for a customer and it sounded dreadful and was down on power. If you really must do it you need a pair of stradale tailpipes(which will also require modifying) or a have the 430 ones cut about to fit. You will also find that to stop the ends sticking out of the car too much they have to be located deeper into the bumper, which then brings them very close to the wheelhouse.

5. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Considering the effort and work involved to modify a factory 430 exhaust it might be easier and less costly to procure a decent aftermarket muffler meant for the 360.

6. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    I know a few people who have converted 430 systems to fit a 360. You need to chop a section out of the tail pipes as the 430 tips sit a lot further apart than the 360. Also, you need to buy (or make) Stradale mouting brackets - the 430 and Strad silencers are the same parts but they have different mountings.

In short, it is doable but it's not an easy DIY...

7. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    This is Joe at Fabspeed motorsport. I own a 6 speed 360 spider and tried 4 different exhaust systems on my car in order to experience all the sound varieties and for empiracle and testing data. I do a lot of research design and development on exhaust systems and intake systems.

A couple of things to consider.
    Yes the Ferrari oem challenge straddle muffler and the oem 430 muffler have the exact external size and shape. Therefore the mufflers are interchangeable. However Ferrari has different part numbers for these mufflers and Xray inspection shows the internal designs are quite different and the sound was different ......the 430 muffler is more restrictive internally and attenuates controls the sound more versus the straddle coupes muffler.

I actually installed both of these mufflers on my 360 as I wanted to recreate for sale a challenge straddle muffler for 360 cars based on what I believed Might be the best possible choice of sportscar sound and power. I actually bought at great expense a complete challenge straddle rear muffler with straddle tips and I had a factory f430 muffler with tips laying around too.

I waterjet cut tig welded the correct brackets in order to correctly mount the oem straddle system on my car. I installed everything and hooked up the vacuum valves. So I had everything installed and made solid works files of all the brackets and was ready to duplicate the entire oem ferrari challenge straddle system for regular 360 cars.

I was greatly disappointed with the retrofitted 360 challenge straddle muffler on my USA
    360 spider. The problem was That the car was down on power and the sound was not as aggressive as I assumed it would be. In analysis I attributed this to 2 factors. One of these factors I could not remedy so I ditched the project.

On the straddle the oem factory headers do not have pre cats so the sound level is more sporty f1 like right from the factory. I can address that with race quality headers.

The real issue was that the 360s vacuum operated exhaust valves did not open up very often despite aggressive driving as my cars ECU was tuned for the cars original boat anchor coffin style muffler and the cars ECU opened the exhaust actuated bypass valves just as Ferrari programmed them to open for the big boxy muffler. So there I am driving and road testing with a complete expensive Challenge Stradale factory OEM rear muffler system with factory tips and the car sounds weak and is Down on power. Exhaust flapper valves only open at certain rpm points. I am frustrated and realize the difference must be locked in the Challenge straddle OEM ecu brain programming.

Anyway I swap out topside the challenge muffler to the 430 muffler . Car is even more muted and my exhaust valves open at the same rpm points ranges dictated by my ecu.

Pm me for more info I do have extra brackets mounting hardware laying around from this endeavor.

You will have to fabricate exhaust brackets in order to install the 430 muffler

8. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    In short....not recommended.

9. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #9 nchhotu, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finished with the exhaust project and i am very happy. Love the sound of the 430 exhaust in the 360 sounds more F1ish than on the 430. With the valves open she screams. Want to thank Fchat folks for you help but a special thanks to Spiderscott for taking his time to send me pics and details on the project. It was easy and straight forward thanks to his efforts.
    video is forthcoming...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Interesting. Looking forward to the video.

-Gil

11. hangarsixco

hangarsixco Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2010
    S. California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #11 hangarsixco, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This was done on my 2000 360 coupe. It came on the car when I purchased it.
    It had the X-OST Maranello Pista Race system on it, with the Carbon Fiber look tail pipes. It was insanely loud. The system is very expensive I believe it retails for $7K for the package. Why someone paid this kind of money for an F430 exhaust on a 360 is beyond me but it did sound nice and as said above was quite loud. My car is a Euro without the pre-cat that made quite a sound difference.

It was modified at the tail pipe mount it was cut, the exact amount that was cut is unknown to me. It certainly can be done. However on my car the tail pipes sat wider and the bumper grills were removed to make the tail pipes fit. Picture 1 is of the aluminum brackets that were fabricated to fit the Stock exhaust mount to the new muffler. Where my hands are in both images was where the pipes coming off of the muffler were cut to allow the tail pipes to attach; fit into the bumper.

Ive attached some images of the system for your reference. I'm actually going to list it for sale soon if anyone is interested in it. I changed the exhaust out when I purchased the car. The system pictured is for sale if anyone is interested.

Hope this helps.

Below is a link of a youtube video of the car at idle, no revs. Not the greatest quality as it was shot on my Iphone.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifwA3IqHklY&feature=youtube_gdata[/ame]

12. THINKFAST

THINKFAST Karting

Jan 13, 2011
    Earth, mostly ...
    Good job! Glad it worked out for you. Waiting to hear it...

13. F1.360.LOVER

F1.360.LOVER Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Congrats, Nick, I'll have to come by and check it out!

Nate

14. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Hi Nate come by Sunday/Monday. Want to compare notes. Do you have your valves open or closed?

15. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    Nice job. Nice polished muffler box as well. I know you will be very pleased.

16. F1.360.LOVER

F1.360.LOVER Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Valves are hooked up. Closed during idle. I'll get ahold of you tomorrow.
    Nate

17. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #17 nchhotu, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
    Thanks to your info. I only polished the muffler since i wanted to paint the tips black.

18. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #18 nchhotu, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
    Here are two vids i quickly put together. First vid is with vacuum line connected the second valves open. I will get a better vid once the weather clears up but it sounds even better when your in motion. I am not sure if my CS TSU makes it sound better especially when down shifting.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD1HYyxbUX4&feature=channel[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dghagL-tqNc&feature=channel[/ame]

19. RED TESTAROSSA

RED TESTAROSSA Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2009
    So. Calif.
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Your 360 sounds awesome!

20. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    +1

21. TZL

TZL Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2003
    Atherton, CA
    sounds great !

did you have to make a new bracket to mount the F430 muffler?

22. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thanks. No i picked up a used 430 exhaust brace and mounting brackets from Russ at Ferrparts for $85 and the 430 exhaust and tailpipes bolts right on. No additional bracing needed since the tailpipes are much shorter. All together the exhaust cost me $950 installed.

23. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    That is one of the 4 hidden beauty of this solution.

24. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD

Question : For Euro cars that don't have pre-cats how will a 430 Silencer with 360 CS outlet pipes sound ? Will it sound like a 360 CS ?

Based on Joe, the 430 and 360 CS silencers look alike but are different, so the sound will not be like the 360 CS.

Furthermore, without the 360 CS software, will a manual 360 open its valves at same RPM as with OEM 360 exhaust ? Also , shouldn't there be more power (and noise) due to less restrictive setup ? Thanks !!!!

25. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Will original 360 Challenge Stradale exhaust tips fit 430 OEM muffler box without any modification ??? Thanks !!!