355 smoking up front | FerrariChat

355 smoking up front

Discussion in '348/355' started by F129b, Mar 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Please help...
    Friday night I pulled the car out, left it to warm up for approx. 3mins. In the dark, I noticed the smell and sight of significant smoke from under the bonnet..raised the lid to see big smoke coming from the fuse panel area. I turned the key to 'off' but the car kept running..then to my surprise, pulled the key out and car continued to run for 3-4secs. The smoke stopped after 30-40 more secs. and I clicked the fob to arm starter-NO CHIRP. Car DID start but did NOT smoke again during the 30 secs. it took me to pull back into the garage.

I have now pulled the panel on the fuse box and don't see any scorched relays.
    -The red light DOES blink normally on the dash
    -The car does NOT chirp when the fob button is pressed
    -The car now DOES start & stop as normal when key is turned on/off
    -The car does NOT smoke from the fuse panel

I can't find a description of a relay in the owner's manual diagram that I would think could have burnt out and plausibly explain what happened/problem of NO CHIRP.
    Any thoughts on how to proceed?

2. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    So you now do not have to disarm the engine immobilizer in order to start the car? You just get in and start it?
    Sounds to me you have struck GOLD. :)

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Very funny, but sadly true.

4. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    As funny as it may be, the sight of your very clean & well maintained 355 GTS smoking is not all that funny. Beside the fact that I still MUST click the key fob to enable the starter.

5. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    I am truly sorry for any grief this has caused you. I’ve also had my fair share of grief lately regarding my 355.
    I hope someone on the forum can point you in the right direction for a fix.

6. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Where is the factory alarm siren located? (my car has not got the factory alarm fitted)

I know the factory alarm siren is battery back up and the battery is prone to leaking and frying the siren, could be a good place to check....