348 Spider 30k service parts much more expensive | FerrariChat

348 Spider 30k service parts much more expensive

Discussion in '348/355' started by LSU348, Mar 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My 1994 348 Spider is in for its next 30k/major now. Part prices are now approaching "painful" status in my opinion. The two tensioner bearings alone are ~$700 and ~$900 each! Belts and O rings are still about the same as they were 5 years ago but big parts are OUCH expensive. I am replacing the two small timing belt covers as mine have cracks and one has a small piece missing. Those things are going to cost ~$1,000 and are tiny! God help you if your large cover breaks. Also, I have the single disc clutch and am replacing the plate and rebuilding the pumpkin including throw out bearing and seals. The clutch plate alone is going to be over $1,300. OW!!

I am having Ferda Hroch at Vintage Motorcars on Kempwood in Houston do the work. He worked on my 308 and now my 348. Great guy but I know he will retire sooner or later. I'll be crying next time I do a major.

Looks like the total will exceed $8,500 mainly due to the covers and the clutch disc. Just a bare bones 30k including water pump would likely be $6,000. Budget accordingly "new" car buyers. Ferda is "cheap" compared to a dealer.

I look forward to getting mine back. Engine is out, Ferda is about 1/3 finished.

-Mike

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
  3. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was actually about to go edit my post...somewhat agreed with one caviot:

Seems the quotes I got from my mechanic were for all OEM parts.

Just bought almost all of this from Trutlands for far less.

Capristo bearings -- $320
    Clutch/Prussure plate -- $1300
    All 5 pcs for timing gear cover - repop -- $750
    Temp sensors (exhaust) -- $145 each

So it is not as bad as I thought but the clutch disc thing is outrageous.

Edit: Nice pic of your 348 TS in the snow. Dedication man! Dedication.

4. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I would always check Ricambi, too. There is no better service than Ricambi. I know this from personal experience on many different issues. :)

5. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agreed on Ricambi but I have done a lot of business with TRutlands so I went there first. They had all the parts so I bought them all. 3 days via Fed Ex and then into the money eater they go.