Lowering suspension on 355? | FerrariChat

Lowering suspension on 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Extreme, Mar 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    #1 Extreme, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
    Need some guidance.

I want to lower the suspension on the front of my 355. I've searched and read the different threads regarding lowering, it's just that none of them give the details regarding my issue.

I have the wrenches required for the lock collars on the struts, although after loosening the lower collar I can’t get the bigger collar to turn as there is pressure on it from the spring. I am trying to do this with the struts still on the car. Is this wrong, do I need to remove the assembly and compress the spring in order to adjust the collars? I borrowed a spring compression tool from AutoZone however it will not fit on the springs with the struts on the car.

2. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    I've not done it my self, but the struts will need to be removed to adjust the spring platform. There is a very informative thread here from a while ago that gives the formula for the number of threads relating to how much lower the car will sit. Worth doing a search...

3. tispkj

tispkj Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Jennings
    Hi Guys, not done myself on a 355 but very unlikely you need to remove the strut or suspension unit, you do need to take the load off the strut though to help.
    A good soaking of WD40 (duck oil) or similar beforehand will help.

Regards

4. pourquoi_ne

pourquoi_ne Karting

Mar 16, 2006
    England
    Full Name:
    John
    I'd think long and hard about lowering your car! Mine was lowered when I bought it. I lived with hitting the underside of the front bumper and sometimes the underpanels for long enough then put the car back to original settings. May depend on condition of roads, weight of the occupants, amount of luggage in the boot etc but the anticipation of when more damage was going to get done was way too stressful for my liking! Even at the standard ride height I occasionally hit some things! Just my opinion and experience.

5. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    Yeah I have been thinking about rather or not to lower it. I like the way it handles now, I just don't like the large wheel gap with the front fender.

6. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

#6 F355Bob, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    The 1" drop in the front really helped clean up the look.
    The huge brake rotors help out also. :)

8. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    #8 junglistluder, Mar 26, 2012
    Shurik355 likes this.
  9. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Two things:

Our cars don't have struts they have coilovers with upper and lower control arms.

You don't need to remove the coilovers to adjust them but it may actually be faster if you can't get your hands on a low profile spring compressor.

Be sure to disconnect the anti-roll bar from one side while lowering and then reconnect when both sides are finished. This will relieve the tension from side to side and make quicker work of the process.

Rob

Shurik355 likes this.
  10. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    Very Nice!

Can you recommend a low profile spring compressor that will fit the front coilovers.

11. cactussed

cactussed Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    Oddly, I did this last weekend as I fitted some new springs and the ride height was all voer the place.

To save you wondering, I couldn't get a spring compressor to fit in the miniscule gap either. I also have the c-spanner and it doesn't fit in the gap either.

What I had to do was undo the nut from the top of the shock and then undo the shock at the bottom (ie, remove the bolt from the wishbone) so the whole unit is basically free of the chassis. This releases the tension on the springs and you can then turn the adjuster rings by hand to the height desired.

That's the easy part.

Getting the shock back into place is harder as the bottom mounting bolt (including all the spacer washers) is a bit of a bugger to get in place.

All in all, totally DIY'able but a lot of effort just to alter ride height.

12. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Interesting thread as I was just thinkin of how to sscrew with the front suspension on mine :) ................. if I were to go lower ...... I would only go about 1/2"-ish lower all the way around :eek: ............ and as F355Bob said ........ one just has to be a little more careful ... :)

Not to hijack but .......... but does anyone know if the H&R 355 springs are stiffer than stock?

13. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    I was about to give up on lowering the car as I couldn't get a spring compressor to fit. Your idea sounds simple enough. Honestly I'm still trying to decide if lowering it is what I really want to do. As I have enough trouble as it is getting into some driveways.

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Since you have gone through all this trouble, you might as well slide the strut/spring combo out from under the wheel well, put it in a bench vise, and mes with the adjustment all you want with lots more space.

15. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They are, I have them on my car. Unlike most 355 owners, I run my suspension on comfort mode all the time and it rides well. It's harsh enough in sport mode with the H&R's that I don't bother. My car is about 1.5" lower than stock with the front adjusted all the way up and the rears set to match at about 2/3 max height.

16. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    #16 Monteman, Mar 28, 2012
    I've gone pretty low on mine and I would venture to say too low. Lots of issues trying to navigate normal city streets, driveway entrances, etc. I'm not sure I would do it again but I do like the look.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON

Me too!

18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I am at stock ride height and scrape the underside and nose rather regularly. How anyone could get by with an even lower car just boggles my mind......

19. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    I decided not to lower the car for this same reason. I like the look of lowered 355's I just don't want the difficulty of navigating around town, it's hard enough now getting into some places.

20. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Thanks for the info ......... so correct me if I am wrong but with H&R springs up front, you have them adjusted all the way up and the car is still 1.5" lower than stock?

I was hoping to only stiffen the front but adjust the springs to stock height ........ :eek:

21. st4rk

st4rk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2011
    I'm wondering if my car was lowered from stock, I bottom out ALL the time if I'm not careful. Granted, most of the times it is my own dumb fault for not being careful.

[​IMG]

22. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    If I am not extra careful I would bottom out a lot more than I already do :eek: ......... but I think some of that can be remedied by stiffer front springs ....... IMO the front of the 355 (at least on mine) seems far too anxious to bounce downward at every dip ..... :(

23. mad dog

mad dog Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    suffolk uk
    Full Name:
    andrew
    I've found removing the shock makes it far easier to adjust it. Not a difficult job, espec as I don't have a slim spring comp.

But what I think a lot of people forget is the roll bar adjustment and corner weighting. Just reconnecting the roll bar puts an unusual load on the car because its set to ordinary height. OK there is adjustment on the splined arm but that is too course. It really needs adjustable links.

The corner weighting is also thrown out. Having that right makes a major difference to handling. Of course not relevant if not driven to limit I have known several 355s return to stock height due to effect on handling.

24. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    So can one get stock ride height from H&R springs?

25. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    From the picture it looks stock to me.