Just got my first | FerrariChat

Just got my first

Discussion in '308/328' started by GLS12, Mar 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    A red/tan November 87 production GTS with 36k on the odometer and a recent major (and records dating back into the 90s). Drove it for about 70 miles yesterday and loved every minute of it. The car needs some cosmetic work to the interior which i plan to do over time, but is a solid car otherwise. There are times when I still cannot believe I have it, and walk out to the garage just to stare (having seen other threads, I am glad I am not the only one). Though I haven't posted much, I want to thank folks on the forum, and particularly this section, for all the helpful information found in posts regarding what to watch out for, pricing, etc. I hope to post a few pictures later this afternoon.

One funny story, which I hope isn't too common: My father was driving the car and we were coming around a sharp corner (in our lane), and a Toyota of some sort is going around the corner in the opposite direction. We can see each other for maybe 2-3 seconds at most and in this limited time, his only reaction to seeing us / the car was to flip us off for no reason. People amaze me.

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Welcome Greg and congratulations. I wish you many miles with lots of smiles. And yes, every now and again you will meet the A*&^&ole on the road. I just ignore, the cars are too valuable to risk some yahoo causing some expensive damage. If you are familiar with the forum then excuse me but there are sections like the xrefrence thread and DIY threads you should become aware of. Steve put this together just the other day for new owners:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361108

I am sure that with time you will get comfortable here, everyone is great and most helpfull

3. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Congratulations. Your acquisition isn't complete without some photos here :)

Don't worry about those that don't understand. I'm actually in such a happy place when driving my car I don't really look around at all. I do occasionally see someone taking a picture in my rear view mirror.

I do chalk it up to not understanding. These older cars are about passion and dreams, not money anymore. People who are not into cars can never be made to fully understand.

Enjoy it and best wishes for a long healthy relationship.

4. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Congratulations, Greg. Where did you find her?

5. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #5 GLS12, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Oops, you broke rule number three, driving on gravel, now you'll never be accepted into some special groups :D Nor will I :D

It looks great.

7. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Congrats!!!!

PDG

8. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Welcome to the 328 brotherhood! Enjoy it! :)

9. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Those first few months of Ferrari ownership are one of life's truly magical and special times.

She's beautiful so take it all in and enjoy the hell out of it.

Welcome aboard.

10. Shane86

Shane86 Karting

Dec 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Shane
    Congrats!

11. jjh122

jjh122 Rookie

May 5, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice, I'm hoping to have my first one soon too..!
    John

12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You will!

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Patience, keep your dream and it will happen.

15. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B

16. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Alright, another 87 328! Looks great. Drive often and enjoy :)

17. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    #17 Chiaroman, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    Most people will be pleasant but there will always be someone like that.

Not sure why.....

They are simply miserable and won't allow anyone to enjoy life.

Enjoy the car to the MAX!!!!

18. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks all, I appreciate the kind words. I definitely plan on enjoying it, but unfortunately the weather hasnt been cooperating and I also need to get it into the shop to fix a couple of items uncovered during the PPI (I maybe should have done this immediately but could resist having an opportunity to take it out before it goes and sits for a bit).

19. DNJS328

DNJS328 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 25, 2011
    Arlington, TX
    Full Name:
    Don P.
    Congrats! I've had my first Ferrari now for 7 months and the excitement doesn't go away. My 328 was also manufactured in Nov. '87 so we must be close. One of the first '88 models. Rosso Corsa/Beige that was a little worn on the interior as well. That is being fixed right now and the beautiful days we are currently having is driving me crazy not being able to drive. It will all be worth it. Drive her like she's meant to be driven and enjoy!

20. f1fanforlife

f1fanforlife Karting

Nov 20, 2010
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Greg,
    Somehow I missed this post and your new purchase. Congrats and wish you many safe and happy miles with her. Look forward to seeing it on the grass at River Creek.
    Kevin.

21. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks Kevin. I'm looking forward to the tournament this year. Hopefully it will be a little cooler than last!

22. noblesteed

noblesteed Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    Welcome to the addiction! If you thought it was bad before ownership, just wait. For example, before ownership... for about 3 years, I was on here once a week or so... now I'm on here about 4 times a day. It's facebook for Ferrari owners. Haha. Congrats on the car man!

23. TM328

TM328 Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    New England
    10 years and running on my 87. It has never gotten old and is a joy to drive.
    Last year I took my wife out for an easy summer ride(top off) and some guy yelled "Ferraris suck" to us and we smiled and drove by. You will get far better manners from children when driving a Ferrari and I have no idea why.

24. f1fanforlife

f1fanforlife Karting

Nov 20, 2010
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am sure it will be way cooler. We were certainly dragging on the last few holes. I am looking forward to it again. We had a great time.

25. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Are you sure he said "suck" and not "rock"? I mean with all that engine noise......