Do you want to see something amazing? | FerrariChat

Do you want to see something amazing?

Discussion in '308/328' started by PhilB, Feb 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    #1 PhilB, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, it's amazing to me anyway. For anyone following the RobWorkz Shift Shaft thread, you know I recently did the shift shaft seals on my 308. As a result of this project I had removed the center console. I thought, while I have the console out, let's consider a re-dye.

I spoke to the folks and Leatherique, and bought the 4 products needed. I decided to try it out on the the switch plate as a "test case". I stripped half of the leather on the switch plate of the old original dye (my car was never redyed before) and went through the process, following exactly the Leatherique directions. After the old dye was removed and the leather prepared, I applied the new dye with an airbrush.

The outcome was startling to me. At first, I didn't think this was the same color as my original dye, but when I compare the re-dyed part to the leather hidden under the console, this new dye was in fact the original color. My car is a GTS so I suppose after 28 years of sunshine, my leather faded pretty dramatically. (The original dye color does look a little bit lighter/brighter in the photos than in real life.) The re-dyed leather is soft and supple. The grain is still visible.

I think I will keep going with this project and finish the console.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Looks great Phil. I am getting ready to do the same thing. Is that the Saddle 3218 color or did you have him mix from a supplied sample?

Best Regards,
    John M

3. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    That is hard to believe! Great result, it will look fantastic when it is done.

4. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Yup, Saddle 3218 right off the shelf. For the longest time my leather looked dirty, so when I removed the console to get to the shifter, I thought I'd try to clean it. I used some lacquer thinner and was surprised that not only did the dirt come off, but the original shellac dye came off somewhat easily. That's when I called Leatherique and spoke to them about the situation and next steps.

This will be no doubt my next 3-4 weekends, I'll post progress photos as I get through it.

5. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    #5 PhilB, Feb 26, 2012
    Here's a couple of "after prep" and then "after re-dye" pictures. I'm really happy with how it came out.

Ok, so the total cost was the Leatherique products at about $100, a gallon of lacquer thinner maybe $15, four rolls of paper towels and my time. I already had the air compressor, hoses and air brush. Actually, I already had the lacquer thinner also and the wife contributed the paper towels, and a couple cups of coffee during breaks.

I followed the four step Leatherique procedure, cleaning and removing all old dye and contaminants with lacquer thinner, using the Leatherique Rejuvinator conditioner, Prestine Clean, and then deep cleaner using wet sand paper, always waiting 24-48 hours between steps per the instructions. Then I did the dye.

I initially tried using a high quality paint brush, but did not like at all how it looked when the dye dried. I then went to my airbrush.

I used a medium head and the compressor set at 45 pounds of air. It's very easy to apply too much dye, even with the air brush, so it takes some practice. You need to go as light a coat as possible. After some practice, and adjustments, I got the brush to blow more air than dye, and was able to then nicely control the finish. I did about 3-4 coats. You want to make sure any area your are spraying is upright, to avoid drips - the dye is very thin and will drip. Also, you need to do a reasonably sized area (like the sides of both pieces of the console tunnel), and then let it dry as you break down the air brush and thoroughly clean it. This means you need to plan ahead and be cognizant of your parting lines - the breaks where you stopped one spray and will continue again. The seams make the most sense but on the large tunnel piece there is no seam in the front so you need to pull the air brush away and feather out the spray, and then continue similarly when you turn the piece over for the next spray. Again, whatever you're spraying needs to face up to avoid drips.

The dye contains particles much thicker than most paints, and it dries to a skin on the tools and containers and funnels, etc.; so you only want to put enough in the air brush bottle to cover a spray, clean everything, and then turn your pieces to their tops or other sides and continue spraying. Blow too much dye and your air brush will clog quickly. You need patience, practice and time, otherwise it won't come out good.

I'll move onto the door skins next, but not until I re-install the console, so I'm probably 2-3 weekends away from starting the door skins.

6. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Nice work, Phil....Very nice!

7. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    #7 The Kook Abides, Feb 26, 2012
    Looks great. You will feel empowered with your new talent.

After I finished my GT4 I bought some used Scandinavian leather chairs and stripped them and redyed with Leatherique.

The airbrush is definitely the way to go IMO.

8. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Console looks like it is good to go for another 30 years!

9. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    #9 pad, Feb 26, 2012
  10. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Wow, that IS and amazing difference. Nicely done.

11. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    I never would have thought the outcome would be that dramatic or good.
    Very nice!

12. fmguthleben

fmguthleben Rookie

Dec 2, 2011
    Painesville, Ohio
    Wondering, does the leatherique make the leather more supple? My '80s seats look and feel brand new on the bottom half, while the top and headrest seem dried out as if I could crack the material if I press too hard. I'm wondering how they could be so far off- the po said there was work done on the seats- maybe just the bottoms were reupholstered. Thanks.

13. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I haven't done it yet but I have researched the product and would say yes. It is a process using multiple products that clean, moisturize, repair and dye. Very much like painting - 90% of the effort is in the prep. A key part to fixing the dry and cracking is how you condition / moisturize - notice many people condition the leather heavily and then allow it to work in by storing in a sealed bag, in warm conditions, for a long period of time (see instructions and the other threads). Then they have a leather repair product that fills in the cracks before you dye.

People who have done this, please correct me if I'm wrong.

14. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    Wow.....super job. The seats look brand spanking new!

15. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    #15 Robz328, Mar 15, 2012
    Excellent work, Dude!

Show us the full interior when done. You will be very happy with yourself!

I redyed mine with 3218 too...a lot better than my OEM which looked more like vomit.

I didn't spray since my leather will need replacement in a few years (assuming I'm driving the 328 and not working on it). It looked fine using a sponge paintbrush. Spraying looks better and melds with the stitching too!

I'll do the jam-up stuff later when I do engine-out and repaint (about 5-10 years).

Here's some pics (3-footer shots, of course).

The OEM carpet was very-stained tan...removed within a month of arrival in 2009.

Added cup holder panel since removing heating/ac stuff; the only remaining component used was the emergency flasher...it's under the cup holder panel. Even the cig lighter was useless for phone charger (wrong size).

New carpet was marine carpet. I used the old tan to make pattern pieces. I added piping to trim the edges.

16. maestro8

maestro8 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Looks great! Every F-car should have an owner as caring as Rob... :)

17. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    #17 PhilB, Mar 25, 2012
    Here's a few shots of the finished console installed back in the car. The color difference between the console and seats is very apparent now, the original dye really washed out over the years, possibly more so due to mine being a GTS and almost never has the top on.

I used one of CrownDogs clock face crystals, polished all the chrome including the oil temp and clock bezels, cleaned the shifter ball and repainted the numbers, and cleaned all switch other parts with dish soap and a soft tooth brush. Everything came out really nice. Reinstalling all those switches and levers was a royal pain, but I'm thrilled with the results. I had a hard time repainting the arrows on the power windows switches, so I opted for replacements - I bought 3 new H1 window switches - same size and wire connections as ours, and they were like $7.50 each. I used 1 for the aerial switch - my stock aerial switch is in great shape but has a different outline than the arrows on the window switches. I searched and this switch is hard to find so I figured before the little outline on it wears down, let me put it away. These switches are available with a green led which I got, I like that when I put the lights on now just about everything on the console emits an otherworldly green glow.

The last photo - a bit out of focus - is the original aerial switch with its special insignia. I think the earlier 308s has a different type of switch for the aerial. This one is identical to the power windows switches, but has the different insignia.

18. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Looks really great!! IMHO you cannot beat the classic look of that console. The only way to improve it is to convert to LED light bulbs so you can see your gauges at night. he he he putting bug in head.

19. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I saw that thread and have that on my list of projects, I deferred for the time being as I only had 12-gauge slugs and double "O" on hand.

20. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Why I'd be happy to send you over some .45 Colt when your ready.

21. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Hard to believe there are the same seats. Very good job.