How many BTU's to heat/cool a garage? | FerrariChat

How many BTU's to heat/cool a garage?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by nathandarby67, Mar 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I am in the middle of insulating my garage to make it more comfortable to work in. OK, truth be told, I am just trying to remove one of the many excuses I have come up with to procrastinate on some car projects I have that need doing.

Anyway, I decided to go ahead and make it a really nice space capable of doing Real Work. Bought a bunch of cool red steel wall cabinets, tool chests, stainless workbenches, wired for a bunch of 110 outlets, 6/3 wired for 50A 220V service, etc. etc. So, I want to make it nice. I don't plan on keeping it at 72 degrees 24/7, but would like to keep it semi comfortable at all times, and have the ability to crank it up and get it nice and cool in the summer and warm in the winter when out there working.

I plan on installing a mini split heat/AC unit. Garage is standard 2 car size (21x21), detached from house. It has a 9 foot ceiling, but I was planning on using spray foam insulation on the underside of the roof so the attic storage would be somewhat climate controlled. Walls are 2x4 with R13 insulation. I bought a foam panel insulation kit for the aluminum garage door, not sure of its R value. Oh, I live in south Mississippi, so while the winters are not bad at all, it gets god-awful HOT in summer. I have seen anything from 10K to 20K BTU's recommended for a space like this. I figured a few folks here may have some real world experience in this regard and could lend some advice. I tend to over-engineer and over-build things, so my gut tells me to just buy a big honking system and let it blow. But, I know you can run into humidity and condensation problems along with efficiency problems with too big a unit, so I want to get it right.

2. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    600 square feet per ton (12,000 btu) of A/C is in the average, but open to argument I am sure depending on the structure. A 1 ton A/c unit should be more than adequate, but note you are right, more A/C is not necessarily better, because of the humidity control issue. The unit can lower the temperature quick, but needs to run for a sufficient time to remove/lower the humidity.

Check the internet for free A/C load calculators. Then are several calculators online that you can use for your specific needs.

A window type heat/cool unit would also work for great for 400-500 square feet.

Sounds like a super plan for a garage. Lucky you.

DRG

3. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Here's what we used to do the calculations. A web search on "Manual J Load Calculations" will give you the info.

4. rmorse

rmorse Rookie

Oct 3, 2011
    Castle Rock, CO
    Full Name:
    Robert Morse
    If the main garage doors are frequently opened, you might want to consider putting some kind of PVC strip door on the other side of the garage door. During hot summers it might keep the garage cooler when you pull cars in and out.

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I have an overengineered garage of similar size, about 20 feet wide, 32 feet long but with tall 16 foot vaulted ceiling, foam insulated walls ceilings, garage insulated doors, laminated double glass windows, etc. The insulation has a huge impact on energy efficiency. I have a split mitsubishi heat pump/air conditioner PUZ-HA36nha2 with a ceiling mount evaporator unit. Overkill for you as it's designed for very low temperatures best pump operation. Works phenomenally well, really quiet, rehearsal or cools within minutes of the garage door being opened. I could have gone with the 24 unit, but the low temperatures model was at the larger size, and I have occasionally extreme cold temperatures delta to contend with, so I went for the unit noted.

My auto hobby is so much more pleasant with the temp control, I had such lousy workshop garages most of my life, so overkill now made sense to me.

6. fletch62

fletch62 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Fairhope, AL
    Full Name:
    Larry Fletcher
    I am in south Alabama and I use a mini split unit in my shop 1000 sq ft, 9' height 24k btu works good. I would think 12K would work for you.

Larry Fletcher
    www.cisflowtech.com

7. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Sorry to hijack, but Larry, can you recommend a CIS expert in Huntsville?