trip to Stelvio (bummer) and a pleasant surprise | FerrariChat

trip to Stelvio (bummer) and a pleasant surprise

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Chenrezi, Mar 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chenrezi

Chenrezi Karting

Feb 10, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    #1 Chenrezi, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
    So today me a couple of friends from work had a day off in Milan and being all die hard petrol heads what do we do?
    Rent a car and head up North to the famous Stelvio Pass for a few laughs....
    The rental procedure went smoothly enough (this being Italy they did start to demand a written proof of our reservation but then let it go with that smile that only italian women can do...) and we found ourselves driving a VW Golf TSI which if memory serves has a supercharger AND a turbocharger to deliver something between 140 and 170HP....
    I must say it was really economical and if pushed made a decent enough pace....

The journey out of Milan went ok, but the 3 hours of traffic and single lane roads up to Bormio nearly killed me has it became clear as soon as we got out of the highway that overtaking on this road would be virtually impossible.....
    We had lunch in Bormio and were thrilled to do the drive up and down the pass - each one having a go both ways; but..... When we finally made it there we were faced with a "chiuso" sign....

After the long and tiresome drive there we were bummed out of ourselves.
    We took pictures and I must say the view is amazing, with the snow covered peaks in the surrounding mountains - it was 24ºC outside and 28 in Milan so we would never have guessed that snow was still a real possibility....
    Eventually we headed down south back to Milan and it was on the road down that the trip took a turn for the better....

You see, on the way to Stelvio we had passed through Monza and so we decided to stop by on the way back to "check it out".

Has it happened this next weekend there will be a Ferrari Challenge race and the track was being prepped for it.

Be it for the Scuderia Rampant hat be it for the way we walked we just happened to find ourselves inside the pit lane and mixing with the mechanics and checking out the cars.
    A colleague of mine actually knew one of the pilots but unfortunately he was in the hotel resting having arrived today but he did invite us for any future race of the series :)

I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking...

2. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Love that Team Ukraine sign on that truck:)

3. Chenrezi

Chenrezi Karting

Feb 10, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    #6 Chenrezi, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017