Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 | FerrariChat

Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by blackwood, Mar 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #1 blackwood, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I took the new lens for a test drive at the LA Zoo today. I like. It's significantly cheaper than its Canon and Nikon brethren. Reported to not be as sharp wide open as either, but I shot it at 2.8 quite a bit (cloudy day) and was happy with the results.

It's got a good heft to it, feels much like the canon 70-200. Focus is pretty quick on the 5D mark II (relatively old auto focus system). It's VERY quiet, more so that I remember the canon being. The optical stabilizing system works pretty well. Probably saves a stop at least for hand held shooting. Images are fairly clean in terms of chromatic aberration (this lens uses some FLD glass).

Given the price point, I'm very happy with it. Time to list my canon 70-300DO and start socking away money for the Sigma 120-300 2.8.

Left to right/top to bottom:

157mm, ISO800, f/2.8, 1/1000, manual focus (through thick wires that confused my AF)
    200mm, ISO800, f/2.8, 1/200, AF
    200mm, ISO800, f/2.8, 1/800, AF
    200mm, ISO800, f/2.8, 1/1250, AF
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #2 blackwood, Mar 31, 2012
  3. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Great photos. Looks like a wonderful lens.

-Gil

4. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The 3rd shot is fantastic. In the first shot, is the weird bokeh because of the wires?

5. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #5 blackwood, Mar 31, 2012
    Thanks! I'm happy with the decision to get this and the mark II rather than the mark III (body only).

Yep, even a couple feet away at 170mm f2.8 they're still visible.

For reference, My wife took this with the 40D, f/4, only 45mm.

6. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #6 blackwood, Mar 31, 2012
    The fencing almost killed this frame too. He was moving too fast for me to MF, and the wires confused the hell out of the AF. Fortunately he was doing fairly repetitive laps around the enclosure, so I was able to predict where to set up shop and aim.

200mm, ISO800, f/2.8, 1/250, AF

Pixel peeping, it's a bit soft, but I think it has much more to do with the cage than the lens.

Edit: and it looks like I need to crop the right side a little more.

7. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Very cool. I keep seeing all this stuff I want and then realize it completely goes against the whole reason I got rid of all my Canon stuff and went with the D7000 and only the 18-200. Decisions, decisions.....

8. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    haha, well the D7000 is fantastic. I still want one. This lens is "only" 1200 bucks. Way cheaper than Nikkor.

9. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Fantastic pics Marc. :D

10. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Another happy Sigma 70-200 owner here.

As nice as the Nikon version is, it's hard to justify the 50% premium.

11. E40racer

E40racer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2008
    Belgium
    2 years ago I moved from a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 to the Nikon AFS VR 70-200 F2.8. Yes it's a lot of money but I have no regrets. My Sigma was an older version, the biggest difference was the autofocus, the Nikon is much preciser. The Sigma become very soft with a 1.4 converter, with the Nikon the difference is hard to spot. I also prefer the colors of the Nikon to the Sigma.

12. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Never used the Nikon, but I hear good things.

I compared some photos I took with the canon copy +1.4x to these (different subject, lighting, body, etc so purely superficial). Colors from this copy seem about as good. Aberration is much better with the sigma (though I hear the newer version of the canon lens is pretty good). Vignetting seems well controlled even on a full frame. Hard to compare sharpness or AF since I used them on dramatically different bodies (7D vs 5D2).

Only thing I don't like about this glass is the name. It's a friggin mouth full! Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS. Sometimes it's written with FLD at the end too. Comeon sigma. It's a lens, not a language..

13. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yeah, only. That's the other part, for awhile there I had camera equipment that was worth more than my car. I really need to just start renting lenses, going to NYC next week and would like something with a higher aperture for street shooting, instead of buying a 35mm f1.8 I think I'll just rent the 1.4.

14. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Nice.

Yah, next time I go to yellowstone I'm considering renting a super-tele prime (600 f/4 or so) See if I can have it shipped out there so I won't waste rental time in transit.

15. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm thinking of renting one of those this summer for one of the ALMS races, it'll be nice to play with a lens worth $6k or so. :D

16. Pars

Pars Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2006
    KY
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Nice pictures! Glad you are liking the new lens. The 70-200 F/2.8 is a great tool to have at your disposal. Sigma's lens offerings have been getting consistently better as of late. I recently purchased the Sigma 50-500mm OS F/4.5-6.3. It is slow, but the range is exceptional and the quality is actually better than I had hoped for. The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm F/1.4 seem to be really winners as well. It is nice that a 3rd party has stepped up to the plate with good offerings because Nikon and Canon glass can be so expensive.

17. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Awesome about that 50-500. I usually shy away from super zooms (10x - wow!).

Would like to try it one day though. But I'm obsessed with the 120-300 f/2.8. Add a 2x, and you're at 600mm 5.6. Good lord!

Part of this purchase was the trial run the brand. So far I'm liking it. A buddy rented the 50mm 1.4. Seems nice. Build is definitely better than my canon copy. Nice that it uses 77mm filters too.

18. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    If either of you rent one, be sure to arrange for a gimbal head and allow yourself a little extra time to get accustomed not only to smoothly tracking with the giant lens, but also to learn how to acquire the image you want in the viewfinder. The really narrow field of view makes it challenging at times.

19. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I imagine. I've used 400mm on a crop sensor which frames like 640 on 35mm. Huge pain. Good advice.

Is shooting on a monopod out of the question?

20. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    I wouldn't say out of the question at all, but certainly more difficult if you are following anything fast moving that moves closer to and further away from the camera. A wimberly sidekick and a ball head works great on a tripod. I have hiked 3-4 miles a couple times carrying the hole system over my shoulders with foam pipe insulator around the legs.

21. Pars

Pars Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2006
    KY
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I agree about superzooms usually not having great image quality, so I was looking to get the Sigma 150-500 OS, but all of the reviews said that the 50-500 OS has better image quality. So far I am pleased.

I did some reading up on the 120-300mm Sigma zoom and that sounds great. It is also half of the price of the Nikkor 300mm F/2.8. That is very intriguing.

The biggest issue Sigma lenses have is that sometime they have back or front focus. My Sigma 50mm did and I sent it back to Sigma for calibration. It came back working fine. It seems as though the newer lenses are having less issues than they were several years ago.

22. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Many bodies come with the ability to micro adjust focus on a lens by lens basis now too.

I guess I got lucky, mine seem to be pretty dead on.

23. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Since I love to hijack your threads I hope you don't mind one more.

Have you used the original 5D and how big of an improvement is the mk2 AF system over the original? How accurate is it when using a very shallow depth of field?

24. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I believe it's the same AF system as the original 5D (which I haven't used).

The AF sensors are quite a bit bigger than the dot used to represent them in the VF. They are looking for the highest contrast point within the viewing area of each sensor. So while you may put it somewhere deliberate, if the sensor finds a higher contrast point nearby it will hone in on it.

Shooting at 1.4 when I have to (prefer 2.8 for DOF and sharpness reasons), focus on my son's eyes tends to be pretty good, as pupils present good contrast.

I read a while back (maybe on luminous landscape) that the line type sensors (on the 5D/II, only the center point is cross type) tend to be arranged vertically, so if you're having trouble locking onto a horizontal, try rotating the camera. Good tip, particularly if you're into architecture photography).

The 5D3 represents a quantum leap from the 2. Something like 40 cross type (two lines overlaid to form a + shape, thus sensitive horizontally as well as vertically), and 5 double crosses (two cross type on top of eachother, one rotated 45deg to form a star shape, thus sensitive in both diagonals as well as horizontal and vertical). I have major "3" envy, but for the majority of what I do, the antiquated system in my 5D2 and 40D is more than sufficient (although for one thing the 3 is supposedly better at shooting through fencing).

1Dx takes it a step further, integrating AF with metering, so you can spot meter at any of the 61(?) AF points. Pretty nifty if you're doing things that move quickly. For me, spot meter and them compose works well.

I think Nikon has the metering advantage with their RGB 3D zone system. They may also have AF linked metering.

25. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Interesting, a few friends have them and I might have to go play with one for a couple hours.