Ship US Dino to Europe - or not? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ship US Dino to Europe - or not?

Discussion in '206/246' started by DinoLasse, Apr 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 72Dino246GT(Eur)

Dec 1, 2005
    SFO Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Peter Hollyer
    The cars my friend shipped went to Europe; it is not a quick trip as the route goes through the Panama Canal.

Securing the car in the container is an art; as the ships motion in moderate to rough seas puts unusual forces on the "tie down points" and can affect or damage the car's suspension over the course of a long sea voyage. Nothing that can not be mastered, but it is important that you be there to supervise the work and have an experienced "loadmaster" do the job. This is one of the aspects that is critical to damage free transport. I was impressed by Cosdel's knowledge of the possible problems and the solutions.

If you do plan on shipping via container I think it would be of value to inquire on FerrariChat as to the best way to secure the Dino in the container; while the overall system is similar for all cars each has its vulnerabilities and strengths regarding the use of "tie-downs".

While the shippers handle many cars, even the most experienced has limited experience with the Dino; personal knowledge to understand the choices made during the preparation for shipment will help avoid errors leading to damage and give peace of mind that was is doable to protect the car has been done.

Vintage Ferrari's are shipped every day so it can be done safely. It is like all things "Ferrari", a matter of finding and using an organization that employs people with the specialized knowledge of our unique cars and provides the required services with an engaged mind.

Peter

2. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    +1 completely endorse above remarks having shipped a Lola T70 and parts from Birmingham AL to UK..incident free, timely and cost effective.

Ed

3. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Lars, I know that you will make the right decision when the time comes. Forza Dino! Fred

4. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Lars,

Since your asking for opinions I'll give you mine. I get the impression from you that you are fairly 'particular' about your cars and perhaps other things in life. I am the same and many others here are too I would imagine. I would think that finding another GT in a similar condition as your car would be very difficult. You have many years of history together with your car. You know the car inside and out. You know its strengths and weaknesses (few I think). A new purchase would be a bit of a gamble no matter how well you have it checked out. I would find a way to take it with you.

But really you need to do what is best for you, and you are the only one that can answer your own question. The good thing for us is that the internet provides a way to bring us all together wherever you end up in the world!

All the best,

5. afer

afer Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Uruguay, S. America
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Ferraro
    Hello Lars: in my opinion you must keep your car. Cosdel is an excellent company. My Dino traveled to Uruguay, South America from the USA West Cost 15 years ago with Cosdel without problem.
    Good luck, Alvaro

6. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Tom,

Yes, those are all strong arguments for not selling the car, and try to take it with me.

True, it is a decision I have to make for myself, but I have found it most helpful to hear all the discussions and opinions here. Much appreciated!

All the best to you too,

7. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Hello Alvaro,
    Yes, I am starting to lean that way too.
    Thanks for your advice!
    Lars

8. GTA246GT

GTA246GT Karting

Oct 23, 2005
    Sweden
    Hi,

In case you need some support when/if the Dino arrives in Gothenburg, please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Ciao/ Björn

9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Lars, since I assume you are in the neighborhood, call and go for a visit at Tom Shaughnessy's.
    I think he has shipped more cars than all of us combined.
    He would be a terrific source for good info, and you might even find that 'elusive' Dino part
    you may have been looking for.

Regards, Alberto

10. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars

Hi Björn,
    Very nice of you to offer, but if I ship the car, I will try my best to get it shipped shipped directly to Stockholm. A couple of shipping companies can offer that route, although the vast majority ship to Gothenburg. It would be so much easier for me to bring the car through customs in Stockholm, and it eliminates the need to have it transported across the country. / Lars

11. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    No doubt that would have been very useful, but I am in Sweden right now, so I will keep it in mind for the next time. There is still some time left before the ship-or-sell deadline.

I arrived the day before yesterday, and can you believe it, the ground was covered by an inch of snow this morning. It is still snowing heavily, and the nature outside my window looks like a Christmas card. Would have been nice - if it was Christmas! / Lars

12. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I had dinner with a Lambo dealer the other night. I asked how much to air freight a car to Toronto from Italy. He said they have a deal with Lufthansa: the car goes on standby for $1700. They usually ship within a week.

Sounds like a great deal!

13. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That is the deal of the century.