Algar Ferrari | FerrariChat

Algar Ferrari

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by PHC1, Apr 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PHC1

PHC1 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2007
    Pa
    Full Name:
    Serge
  2. PHC1

PHC1 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2007
    Pa
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Learn something new every day... I had no idea that the same Rosemont Pa location that is currently Algar Ferrari, housed Derham Body Co. established in 1887....

"The Derham family turned out custom built auto bodies for such notables as Joseph Stalin, Pope Pius XII, King Farouk, President Eisenhower, Gary Cooper, Raymond Loewy and their limousines were used in fifteen coronations around the world. They were also the longest-lived American body builder, and the only classic-era coachbuilder that survived the Depression."

3. TonyK

TonyK Karting

Mar 7, 2011
  4. PHC1

PHC1 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2007
    Pa
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Thanks Tony!

5. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Oh how interesting...I always wondered where "Algar" came from.

I'm surprised you guys don't have this story hung up in the showroom somewhere...very interesting stuff!

6. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Having grown up in Lower Merion, it was personally interesting for me to read both those histories. I learned something today!

Thanks.

7. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

8. Monto

Monto Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2009
    I heard today that Algar is being sold. Anyone have any details?

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yep. JoeMac bought it. He ran the numbers and it was cheaper than buying his cars retail. :D

10. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

You are the funniest dude I know. But I don't know any funny people so that isn't saying much.

11. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #11 JoeZaff, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    Awwww, thanks Man.

and ya know, I don't know many white guys with an eight inch afro, but even if I did, I doubt I would meet someone who rocks it as well as you.

The bad news, you look like an extra from Saturday Night Fever...

The good news, if this "corporate" thing doesn't work out for you, I'm sure you could land a job sculpting hedges at the Magic Kingdom on the strength of your fro alone.

:D :D

12. Desmosedici

Desmosedici Karting
    BANNED

Aug 9, 2009
    Now that is actually pretty funny. Your sandbox banter finally produced something that actually made me laugh out loud .

The 458 Spider is really really nice in the flesh, top down esp. I'm totally in love with it. One of those cars I'd seen a million pictures a million times before in a million different places but when saw in person it just really has "IT"! What a car. Saw a few but the white one with black and white stitching..... absolutely off the hook.

13. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Thank me for that, PCH1, who i provoked in a discussion on an audio site.
    How ya Doing PCH?
    Greetings to the rest of you in the Pa. area.
    Is Dave still hanging here? (I think it was Dave?)
    Best,
    Bill Hart

14. Rapido308

Rapido308 Karting
    Owner

Oct 11, 2011
    PA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Algar has been officially sold and is under new ownership as of yesterday. I wish the new owner success as he brings the dealership into a new era.

It is my understanding the dealership may be expanding service types (other high end vehicles besides Ferrari) and the sale of other (used) brands. It is nice to know we can rely on them to now provide outstanding service to our other toys!

I am a huge fan of everyone at Algar; they always treat me great and appreciate the outstanding service I receive.

15. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    This is sad news to me.
    I always liked Algar and the Segal family.
    It wasnt the usual car dealership. Everyone knew everyone, They were friendly and always helpful to me.

I can only wish the new ownership will provide the same experience to me.

16. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    oh no, I hope Algar does not change much, I love the way they do business...

17. Rafienva

Rafienva Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2004
    North Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Ralph(Rafi) Cestero
    1+

18. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I always liked Bob. However, for me, the heart of Algar lies with its wonderful staff. While I am excited to see what is in store for our favorite dealer, I hope I can look forward to many more years of Francis, Mike Bloch, and Tony D., leading the charge. In the last few years, I have seen remarkable changes at Algar. They have become very warm and welcoming and their customer service has become the gold standard. I attribute this to Francis's leadership and the excellent staff that has been assembled.

Personally, I don't trust anyone but them to maintain my TR. Mike Bloch has gone out of his way to earn my continued business and quite frankly, I don't think there is a better mechanic in the world than Tony D. I have come to consider them both good friends.

So, here's to the new owner. We all wish you luck and great success! You have a great team to work with.

19. Desmosedici

Desmosedici Karting
    BANNED

Aug 9, 2009
    My understanding is that the impetus for the change in dealership was a personal matter totally unrelated to the dealership’s operations. Given that it wasn’t financially or operationally driven and the rapidity with which a qualified new owner closed in on the opportunity (which I’m relatively certain wasn’t a distressed, fire-sale proposition), I think says a lot about the operation.

Indeed Bob Segal was not your typical owner. He was universally liked, would talk to and befriend anyone and did a bang up job on the reconstruction of the facility as well as building and maintaining the team around him that he did. That team has been consistently and universally praised not only by everyone in the grassroots community but also by numerous and sundry manufacturer and industry awards. Hopefully that team will stay in place and this will just be an evolution in the dealership we have all come to adorn, the absence of Mr. Segal notwithstanding.

I think it is sometimes understated and taken for granted how fortunate we are to have a dealership like Algar at our disposal, myself included, and I think a change like this can bring it back into perspective as we ponder the potential outcomes here and hope for the best in this new chapter, which could be great and positively transformative in wholly new offerings paradigms of business.

Admittedly these things don’t always turn out so well in this specific industry sector. Based on what I’ve gathered from what appears to be nearly unanimous opinion, there have been not so distant ownership changes within the luxury & exotic sector that have gone abysmally and turned out to be a real disservice to the community in which they are situated to serve and as well a real blight on the marque(s) they represent. I think the ensuing and current operational (and presumably financial) status of those particular dealership operations tell the whole story of how a bad ownership/management change can quickly and dramatically suck the value and goodwill out of an operation as such; assets that took decades to build can be destroyed in a matter of months, especially in a business whose purchasing community is as tight-knit and service oriented as luxury & exotic sports car sales & service. From what I know, which is admittedly only little from grapevine sources, I am very optimistic that Algar’s new owner is not of the disposition nor level of sophistication that would allow that to happen to this jewel of a dealership.

Thanks to you Bob Segal for giving us what you did and the very best of luck and wishes to you.

20. phdedieu

phdedieu Karting

Apr 17, 2011
    Warrington PA
    Full Name:
    Philippe
    Couldn't have articulated it better myself!

21. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey

I admire good writing skills, of which you have an abundance. Bravo.

22. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Well said Joe!
    I have to agree with your assessment of the staff at Algar.
    Mike always treated me great and we all know Tony D. is aces.
    It would of been awesome if Francis would of bought the dealership. He would of made a great owner.
    I wish the new owner much success and I thank the Segal family for all they great service and fun they have given me.
    Thanks Bob!

23. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #23 Challenge, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Photog

Photog Formula 3

Sep 24, 2009
    Kansas City, Mo
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Algar is personally one of the best Dealerships around and their welcoming staff doesn't even make it out to be a dealership. When I was there when the Bugatti Veyron was in, got the full tour upstairs and every nok and cranny and the history behind that place is unbelievable. Sounds like you had a good time Kevin! What were you down there for?

25. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Hi Bill,

Yup, I'm here!!

Dave M.