Crackdown on front license plates | FerrariChat

Crackdown on front license plates

Discussion in 'Texas' started by jakermc, Apr 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    FYI: Hwy 121 is being heavily patroled by between Plano and Lewisville and they are pulling people over specifically for not having front plates. My wife got a warning yesterday for not having a plate on her 911 and she said they were back out this morning.

First time either one of us have been pulled over in 10 years here. Best to avoid that area for a while ...

2. cycloneGTS

cycloneGTS Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    Was this on 121 frontage or on the SRT? Thanks for the heads up!

Mike

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  4. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
  5. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    What jurisdiction police? I have friends who live in Plano who have been cited, but I've never had an issue with Dallas cops, even when pulled over for other alleged infractions that obviously pissed off the officer who could have looked for other violations.

6. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    Take the ticket, go down to the court house, zip-tie a front plate on, have them see you now have a front plate, they will dismiss it for $10 (instead of the normal $155 fine), cut zip-ties & remove plate before leaving courthouse, resume play. That's how it works in Carrollton...ask my roommate...she knows this first-hand.

The openly admitted whole point of that "law" is for use as a "law enforcement tool" for "discovering" other (more serious) infractions...according to a news story I watched last fall.

7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    That aswell as if they/we wanted to run a plate for outstanding warrants and such, amongst other things. I see and understand both sides of the story.

8. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I don't think I've ever written a ticket for no front mount plate, lol.

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I have never seen it happen either. There are officers who are strictly "by the book" and others who are more lenient and do not want the added paperwork and since it can be attached easily one can just mail-in their $10 with proof of it being attached.

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I've received a couple. Always from the super duper State Troopers. My tax $ at work :rolleyes:

11. Nick R

Nick R Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Nick R
    Instead of Troopers shouldnt we call them "Revenuers"?

12. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
  13. zweebach

zweebach Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    I received a speeding ticket last month from a trooper and he wrote me up for not having a front plate, but it was listed only as a warning. When I went to take care of the ticket there was no mention about the plate warning. So it seems that the lack of punishment in the law is true.

14. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I understand the temptation, but most of the Troopers I've met have been good guys. In fact, I give to the TSTA every year. Where I have run into the most obnoxious cops is in small town PD's in Texas. I don't want to mention any names - ALPINE! - but... best to be careful going through small towns.

I remember seeing, quite a few years back, a Ferrari that had a trick disappearing plate setup. With the release of a latch, the plate rotated down and the prancing horse came up. Anyone make anything like that today? It was a total grille replacement deal.

Cheers,

George

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    A warning is not an infraction so that is why there was no mentiom of it.

In all reality I do not not understand why there is so much drama about getting a "warning or a ticket" for no front license plate, the law is the law so unless the law changes it is still a violation. Get over it already.

16. jeffashcraft

jeffashcraft Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2006
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ashcraft
    I was told by a police officer in Frisco that the statue requiring a front license plate (actually ANY plate) was currently unenforceable. The law requires that you have the sticker, but no plates. He said that it is a result of an typing error on a bill that was passes in the last state legislature and that it would no doubt be changed during the next session.

17. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    If i recall correctly, it allegedly removed the penalty, not the offense. But plates aren't my forte......anything else traffic related, then I'm your Huckleberry.

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    It is hard enough for us LEO's to keep up with the changes made within the "traffic code" so I hope my input/opinion was not taken in the wrong sense. The only point I was trying to make is that it is still a law but you will find that most LEO's (the good ones such as Chad and I) focus more on severe safety violations.

So please do not group all LEO's together, some of us are still here because we simply want to "protect and serve".

19. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I had seen a plate like that too. Was pretty neat. A buddy of mine never runs a plate, but is aware of consequence. I did for a while with my Rx7, but when I joined he dark side, I figured I better start having one, lol.

20. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #20 deeprivergarage, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
    The full story can be found at this web site.

It is the December 2011 Texas Municipal Courts Education Center magazine.

It has an article specifically about the status of the front plate statute issue in Texas as of Dec 2011.

There has been a request for the Attorney General to sort it out. I do not think the Attorney General has issued a ruling at this time.

This may be why a police officer may be more inclined to issue a warning than write a ticket.

http://www.tmcec.com/public/files/File/The%20Recorder/2012/Recorder%20Vol%20%2021%20No%20%201.pdf

DRG

21. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I just KNEW this thread was going to be bad luck. Pulled over by a County Mountie in Real Co. this morning. He let me off, but I think only because I knew how to handle him (My dad was a military officer, so I'm pretty good with authorities).

OK, now I need to find the front plate mounting options for a 456M. lol.

Cheers,

George

22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I blame FNA for not installing the mounting brackets on US bound cars.

23. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Imagine the outcry from owners in other states when FNA drilled unsightly holes in the noses of cars destined for states without such silly front-plate laws, not to mention the blasphemy of even thinking about doing such a thing!!!

24. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    There are mounting brackets that can be secured under/behind the noses just like the one on my Miata.

25. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    George, how is your Plate Clip working out so far?