Current 328 Values? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Current 328 Values?

Discussion in '308/328' started by J. Peterman, Apr 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    When it drove up and you saw it for the first time, you would thought it was a great car. And then after you looked at it you would say otherwise, but from the sidewalk the car was stunning (sorry to use that word again).

I walked when i saw some dust under the paint, some overspray on the windshield rubber and yet the owner said it had not been repainted, I could handle a repaint I just wanted to know why. Along with the obvious mileage the car really had I was not going to buy it without proper representation. Heck maybe I was wrong and someone got a good car at a super low price...but I doubt it :)

I still think 35 to 45 is the range for decent cars, some are below that and some above, but most should fall in that range.

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The steering feel argument is overblown, if you want manual steering, a manual rack was offered in the 355 and was indeed still available at Ricambi last I checked so could be retrofitted for under $2k in parts. Even easier would be to de-power the stock rack (I've done it in a Porsche 944, incredibly easy) if you were so inclined. I don't know if this isn't widely known or those that generally buy a 355 also generally like power steering or what, but is not really a valid argument. However, when a car speaks to you, it speaks to you so no argument there. I didn't intend to turn this into a discussion of the merits of a 355 vs. a 328, more on why 328's are priced where they are and for sure the price of other v8 models influence that. For someone that doesn't have a particular attachment to the styling of one or the other (they're both good looking cars), well I've driven both and simply put the 355 is just way more car. I cannot envision a scenario where a similar condition 355 is worth less than a 328 or 348. Just like I cannot envision a similar 355 being worth more than a 360 or 430 - rare/race models not withstanding (ie the vetrorossina 308's, 348 gtc's, 355 challenge cars etc).

The maintenance issue is valid, but a well sorted 355 gtb/gts 6 speed (mainly valve guides done, exhaust addressed) shouldn't cost more to maintain than a similar 328 - belt change and clutch change intervals are the same, other than having to possibly address corroded or worn connectors the 355 electrical systems aren't known to give issues (shock actuators maybe?), though the 308/328 have fuse box issues that are just as bad. You start getting into the f1 or spider models and there is obviously more to go wrong, but there are no corresponding 328 models if that's what you want.

Regarding the 355 looking like an mr2, you could say the same about a Fiero GT and the 308/328...They are vaguely similar but in no way the same.

I'm an owner (of a 355) and would love for my car to be worth the 60-65k (or even 55k) that some of the other owners think they're worth, but having just been in the market I know it's not. If I wanted to sell it, I couldn't get that much for it unless I was in no big hurry and waited for somebody that wanted my exact car. At the same time, if I wanted to buy a 328, I wouldn't pay what I could get a similar condition 355 for. I also wouldn't pay Testarossa money (also now in the 45-50k range) for a 328, so it's not just the v8 models that influence the price.

3. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    It's all down to maintenace costs. A Testarossa is "more car" than a 328, just like a 355 is. Both will cost more to maintain, which directly influences the sale price. This is why they all cost similar money inspite of much different intial cost and performance capability. It will remain this way until they make the transition from "used car" to "classic". At this point maintence costs will be less of an issue and the cars will be judged/priced on their other merits.

4. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    And there is the problem (not being critical). There are a variety of opinions about what all these cars should be valued at, yet in the end it is what the buyer is willing to pay at the time. Every buyer generally has their own individual cut-off points concerning price. Two cars may be in exactly the same condition, have exactly the same history of records, but may go for measurably different prices simply due to this fact. Small markets are funny this way...

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I tend to agree, although the financial calculations are different for the heavy hitter classics. The health of the engine is a large part of the value for a 308/328, whereas for a 250 GT SWB the car is worth a fortune so a rebuild is always doable.

That said, after 25-30 years, I think the odometers are more curiosities than useful measures of anything. My 1956 Porsche only has ~50K miles on it, but the engine and gearbox are in full teardown/rebuild this month.

I agree. I think the 328 is more car. Not faster, but a very engaging piece of machinery (not electronics) and probably last Ferrari with the potential to be a classic rather than a recyclable. It was also the end of an era when Enzo ran the place, and the last model before automation was introduced at the factory, IIRC.

It's a significant car for high end BMW 3 series money. I don't consider the 355 and Testarossa to be as good a value.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #31 Bullfighter, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It probably varies by person. For me, one of the cars higher up my fantasy list became available under favorable terms. Time for a new adventure.

That doesn't diminish my enthusiasm for 308/328s -- still the last best Ferraris, IMHO, other than the F40.

You have a very good 328. Here's a photo of 71403 from Bella Italia in 2008 where the car was featured as part of the Winner's Circle of national trophy winners:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Initially I thought I might get into a 308/328 as a starter for myself, thinking a few years back that I would grateful if I could afford even that... When I realized how much the 355 prices had plunged, I realized that not only could I get any of the following: 308/328/348/355/TR/550 but that I could get some fairly decent examples in the low 50k range... I knew that I had some thinking to do.

I also ended up in a 355 like bobzdar. I do believe that the 308/328 has essentially bottomed out, as these cars begin to experience attrition they will slowly begin to gain value as classics, especially 328's, 348's, and TR's. The 355 still has some ability to fall in price, but at $47k, I was content with jumping on what appears to be a fairly solid car (that will still need $$$$ of mods to be what I am looking for).

I bought a 355 knowing that I wanted a driver. I got exactly that, it's not perfect, but I won't feel one bit of guilt doing my own maintenance (never had service records with the car), putting mileage on it (it's not a concours level car either), or deviating from stock (although I do occasionally wince at the thought of putting non-Ferrari after market parts on it). I think the availability of inexpensive 355's is temporarily driving down the 328/348 market... but I also believe it is a limited window of opportunity for many of these cars. Especially as iconic as the 308/328/348/TR/355 have been. I agree the styling of the 308/328 is just gorgeous and classic, it is a rolling metal sculpture, whereas the 355 still reminds me of a modern fighter jet.

8. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio

Good question - one in which I ponder on and off. This is my second 328 (with a Euro 308 in between); this is also the best one in terms of condition. When I decided to look for my second 328, I focused in getting one in well-preserved original condition and consequently took a while to find this one. So yes, there are times when I convince myself to just keep the car.

After owning this car for a year, I started realizing that I wasn't using it as often as I did my previous 3x8s, even though I enjoyed driving it. Why? Well, the main reason is that my car priorities are changing. I got back into racing the last couple of years; hence, my appetite for an exhilarating, raw driving experience was more satisfied by driving a race car. For daily street use, I prefer to have the more serene environment of a GT-type car. Therefore, the 328 didn't get much use. My personal history has shown that I usually sell things I don't use enough.

For my next Ferrari, I prefer to get a race car over a street Ferrari. I'd like one that I won't have any qualms about using at the track with the risks associated with driving it closer or at its limit with other cars on track.

Having said this, if the 328 doesn't sell above my price limit, I'm totally fine keeping it. It's the ideal convertible model for relaxing but brisk drives in US roads. I still quite enjoy its balance of driving feel and comfort amenities. I think its classic good looks keep improving with age. Lastly, its relative ease of maintenance/reliability is just icing on the cake.

Never say never, but the 328 may be my last purely street Ferrari.

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    For the price, I would go with a 400GT over a 328. The 400 has a proper 12 cylinder engine and sounds great. While the 328 looks OK, it is so slow that it is embarrassing.

10. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    To each their own. Owning a 328 isn't embarrassing in the slightest. 400 is a nice car, but just not the F-car I was longing for. And that too is what sells these cars - passion for a particular model, shape, style, or level of performance. Very difficult to quantify to a $$ amount.

11. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Lets not forget the 328 is 25 years old, back then the speed was just fine, and the look well it's better than OK, it's a classic design just as a Dino246 is a claasic design.
    With over 11,000 posts you still don't understand why one buys a 328/308/246.

12. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Frank is a V-8 and V-6 snob.

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

frank is a fellow boxer owner and i like him. however, i think his comments are to get a stir...don't mind him at all.

the 328 is a lovely looking car and does so much of what a timeless sports car should do!!!

i have several very fast sports cars and motorcycles...i may end up getting a great gts so i can enjoy the sun and wind in my face knowing that there is not a better looking car on the road!!

pcb

14. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Hi Sean. I currently have my 1989 328 for sale and am taking it off the web. I have owned it for 10 years, bought it from a retired guy who bought it from the factory. Here is the no kidding sellers take. I will tell you the range for an 89 328 GTS red, tan, 19,0000 mile pristine Ferrari. The range is 59 to 71 with a fair priciest $64k. How do I know, I have had 3 offers ranging from $61k to the last initial offer of $64k. The negotiations were me interviewing the potential buyer followed by me talking them out of the deal and recommending an earlier higher milage car for $20 to $30k less. A car is worth what a buyer is willing to pay and a seller is willing to take. $64k is a fair price. I would not take less than 71k. It might seem unrealistic but I could never replace it. Down the road how would I know how authentic a 35 year old 89 328 really was? Odometer messed with? Accidents not on carfax? How many 328's do you see for sale on line...8 to 18 at any given time. Of those all but 4 to 5 are high milage, different color combos etc... They all would be great cars as daily drivers. Although many 328's were built, the last one rolled off the line over 23 years ago. There are very few that have no excuses, low milage, well maintained and cared for. If you are looking for that 328, I was offered the prices above and after interviewing the buyers told them they should not pay the premium for a near perfect 328 when they wanted to put 5to 10k miles a year on it. If you want to drive and enjoy it I would recommend a nice 30k mile 1986 328GTS. A red/tan one of those would sell for around 40 to 45k. Hope that helps. Be patient! You will know the care for you when you see it. You will end up like me 10 years later realizing you just can't part with it. Just buy an additional one like we are.

15. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I don't buy the mileage argument for cars as old as 328s are now. It all comes down to maintenance: I'll take a well-driven, well maintained, well documented car any day over a car that gets a handful of miles per year. And those higher milage cars (30k mile, for instance) can be just as fun, pristine, beautiful, and more importantly reliable.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Not at all. I love the F40 and 246, which have a V-8 and V-6 respectably. Having owned a 328GTS, 400GT, TR, 330GTC, 348 Spider and my current BB512i, I have found the V12 cars offer more car for the money. And, I have not found the V12 cars to be prohibitively more expensive to own than the V8 cars. In fact, my former 400GT was the least expensive per mile to own than any of my previous Ferrari, with my BB512i being a close second. And, while maintenance cost should certainly be a consideration in the purchase of any car, if maintenance cost is a determinative factor in Ferrari ownership, maybe one should consider another marque; any Ferrari is only one problem away from a $25k bill!

17. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Just to throw this monkey wrench into things a lot of it CAN come down to timing. I know of at LEAST TWO people who have bought 328s in the LOW $20s because the cars didnt have a lot of the history or services or records. Both cars turned out to need majors and some TLC and within a VERY short time were excellent cars. Probably not show winners like TacElfs car, but great drivers cars that did well for their owners. I would have HAPPILY jumped on either of those cars if I were in the market for a 328.

So, dont necessarily snub your nose at any given car. Its not hard to find a diamond in the rough and just spend a little time polishing it up.

PDG

18. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004