Creases on brand new racing seats? | FerrariChat

Creases on brand new racing seats?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by fastmover, Apr 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastmover

fastmover Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2009
    NA
    #1 fastmover, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello all. I recently took delivery of a new 2012 458 Italia coupe. I ordered black racing seats with red stitching. There are some rather prominent creases present on the bottom portion of the seat in between the two bolsters. Does anyone else have something similar? I am just concerned because it is a brand new car and I would hate for theses creases to be mistaken as "wear" when or if I sell the car. Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 2k7997tt

2k7997tt Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    John M.
    Ask for a new seat.

3. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yup. Do not relent.

4. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    It is hard to see in the photo but if the 'creases' are just the result of loose fitting leather, there is a good chance that you have nothing to worry about. Ferrari leather is very plush, and the factory upholsterers generally leave a little "play" in the fit because they know that the leather will tighten up with time. So cars often arrive with creases in the seats, depending on how long they have been in transit and the temperature along the way. It will resolve over a period of weeks to months. You can accelerate the process by leaving the car in a warm place. Sun with windows down for short periods of time will also accelerate the process, but of course you do not want to expose it to excess heat. Spiders with top down in the sun is perfect for fast shrinkage.

5. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    No disrespect intended to Chum's cogent response, but I have seen a fair number of new 458s (and other models) and did not notice any creasing in the seats. Personally, I would worry that these would be a focal point of flex and deepen prematurely with use. I am curious to see how the dealer will handle this.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think minor creasing is common with leather seats. My Daytona's have them and it looks like a natural part of the process. But, it's hard to tell from your photos because I really can't see anything in them.

It's a discussion you can have with your dealer. See what he says. It's no skin off their nose if a new replacement is ordered or the seat is sent out for repair.

I had a small problem in my seat (the dealer found it). Something was poking up from underneath into the leather. I didn't even see it but it was making a small dirt mark in the seat from being pushed out. FNA agreed to send the seat out for repair under warranty. It took about 5 days total to R and R the seat and repair it.

This may be something similar but again, it may be something quite normal too.

7. fastmover

fastmover Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2009
    NA
    Thanks for all the advice guys. The dealer is 600km away and I just received the car last Friday. I did mention that I was concerned about "wear" on the front seat when I saw the initial pictures but they said it was just due to reflections from the light and it was fine. I was hoping to just let it go but I think I have a legitimate concern given the car is brand new, it is a focal point for the eyes and could potentially lead to early wear. If I had the time to fly into the dealership and inspect it personally I don't think I would have let it go before taking possession. I'll keep you guys updated.

8. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I know what you mean and i'm sure i see the creases on the pic.
    Driver seat left and right in the front area, right?

I just saw this on some 458 and a Scud.

Seem to be a "problem" causes by the leather structur which is the end natural product.

I'm sure that nothing will eleminated these creases.

Greetings Christian

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    OMG! 400 miles to your dealer? I can't imagine that.

Good luck in getting it resolved.

10. Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    Florida
    I can see the creases even with the low res pics. I would not accept that. You should not have to drive the car back to the dealer. Have them pick it up in their covered truck or trailer once the new replacement seat has arrived. You will then be without the car for just a day or two while it is swapped out. I have the exact same seats as yours (type, colors and stitching) and they have no creases or defects. Don't accept it. You paid good money, you should get nothing but 100% perfection, no matter what anyone else on this forum says. It will forever P*** you off if you accept it.

11. fastmover

fastmover Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2009
    NA
    #11 fastmover, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    How about comparison pics of the passenger seat? It looks like something was set on that seat during the entire journey over. You can especially see it along the center stripe.

13. rainforest

rainforest Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    WTF! Ferrari's commonly are delivered in terrible condition. Complain to the dealer.

14. -EZtrader-

-EZtrader- Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    We are spending a lot of money on these cars- and they should be perfect.

I would def have the dealer handle this.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When dealing with natural materials, one's idea of perfection doesn't always match with nature can deliver.

I think the creases are magnified by the black. But, it would be interesting to see what the dealer has to say here. My guess: that's just what leather does.

16. ktm

ktm Formula Junior

May 24, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    I don't want to ruin your new car, I have exactly the same seats and they are perfect, no creases. I would get your dealer to change them.. You have spent a lot of money on your car. Is that what you wished for, I doubt it. In my view don't be shy and push it to the limit, by all accounts Ferrari are not slow to fight warranty claims so why should you accept this.

17. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Thanks for taking the trouble to post these more revealing photos. They are not the simple 'loosely' fitting new leather effect I was referring to in my earlier reply. They do look like a warranty issue.

I would expect Ferrari to make good on it. If the seats need to be rewrapped, they can be done as good or better than the factory. But you will want to verify that the dealer's vendor is up to the job.

18. israeli

israeli Rookie

Sep 23, 2011
    Have the same problem & the dealer tells me it is normal...well maybe it is normal for a Fiat 500!!!

19. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    It looks normal to me as well, in the sense that there is nothing wrong with it since it comes from a natural hide, BUT, if it bothers you and you are not happy, the dealer should replace the bottom seat cover for you. Should not be a big deal for them.

20. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    the seats look fine to me. Enjoy the beautiful car.

I do not believe anybody else will notice.

21. sticky7

sticky7 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    So sorry to see that your seats are in poor condition. Most of you need to stop drinking the Ferrari cool aid! " leave it in the sun, it will fix itself" or " it shouldn't be a problem" come on people, stop accepting crap from a company that doesn't give a ****! Case and point, my cavillino which I paid extra to have stitched into the seat came damaged,from the factory,which means someone at the factory said " don't worry about it,let the dealer deal with it" how can Ferrari look the other way and send that out? And if you think your getting a new seat! Dream on, I tried, they laughed and said " we will fix it". Sure that's what I want, a brand new 336k car being repaired! But wait! It gets better, the cover for the Headlight washer wasn't sitting flat so I took a look, low and behold it appears that when the factory ,machine rubbed the paint, it must have gotten caught and ripped off the car, you can see the ears are broken. You think they put on a new one? Nope, gippetto just put it back in place like it never happened and sent it out. Amazing how you pay SO much and there not only is no quality control but apparently no pride. They slam these things together and ship them to us way to eager, overpaying consumers. Not enough? Ok, today was the first time I washed it,only to find that the rear bumper has split on the narrow part just below the tail light.(I have the challenge rear grill) and it seems as though the carbon grill doesn't fit to the bumper properly and was putting preassure on that narrow piece,resulting in a split bumper.Wtf do I do now? Well, every time I see someone driving a ferrari, I think " there goes another sucker!" And I for one am not a sucker, the car will be sold!

22. 2k7997tt

2k7997tt Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    John M.
    Did Enzo steal your prom date in high school?

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Honestly Sticky I haven't seen any of that on the 3 cars I've ordered but I'm sorry you're not happy. That is certainly no fun.

I do agree though that if you don't complain, they will never get better.

And, I wonder if some if this is from poor dealer prep. There is a huge check list about 2 inches thick that each dealer goes through before the car is released (I've seen it -- it includes everything). The Headlight washer issue should have been spotted right there before the car came to you. Or, it was damaged when the final detail occurred at the dealer. The cars have to be cleaned before delivered because they are wrapped in white plastic.

As I said, my dealer found a minor defect in my 458 seat and they repaired it in about a week. I think if you have a crack in the rear bumper, they need to fix this also.

Here's to better times ahead! :)

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No, I think he has a point. However, most of us here said discuss it with the dealer so I fail to see how we are drinking Kool Aid.

I don't like Kool Aid. Yuck! :)

25. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    What about the area running down the middle? Seems like there are significant creases there too?

I"m in the camp that you should fight hard to get them fixed.