308 Leaking Antifreeze Overflow Problem LOOK!!!! | FerrariChat

308 Leaking Antifreeze Overflow Problem LOOK!!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by daddad, Apr 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daddad

daddad Rookie

Dec 6, 2011
    Middletown,N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #1 daddad, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have read in many post about dripping overflow problems. Well I found a problem with the Radiator Caps design which all ferrari owners should look at. I will attach some pics of housing defects. With one defect so bad the inside of cap fell inside expansion tank which could have made is way to the water pump and made a real mess. Where the spring meets the brass housing causes fractures which can cause pressure loss overheating problems and higher running temps.. The factory cap is a .9 bar and the new update is 1.1 bar. Please take a close look at manufacture name.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    That cap looks really old. Radiator caps are cheap, and it's a good idea to change it periodically, though not with every oil change. If you are using the old "green" antifreeze, you should be changing coolant about every three years. That's the normal life span of the anti-corrosion additives in the coolant that you really need in there. So that's a good time to check the cap and if there is any signs of deterioration, just get a new one. I use the Stant cap 1.1 bar on my 328 and it works fine. I used one on my 308 as well, same thing, worked fine.

3. Tifosi2011

Tifosi2011 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    Where does one buy a Stant cap? I've looked locally and asked wherever I've gone, and still no luck.

4. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
  5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I use a Stant but still use the .9 bar one. Doesn't seem to be a problem with my 77.

6. daddad

daddad Rookie

Dec 6, 2011
    Middletown,N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The cap and antifreeze are only 2 years old and it is Prestone Extended Life orange. NAP Free with a 50/50 Distilled water. The original cap was a 0.9 bar(13-psi) some are replacing with 1.1 bar(16-psi) which I understand both work fine. Just make sure it is for a closed system which means when systems heats up fluid expands pressure builds up to max psi on cap which is controlled by tstat,when it cools causes fluid to contract causing vaccum opens over flow lets air in, prevents hoses from collapsing. I installed slant 10330 which has a nice safety lever which you lift up to release pressure to over flow without twisting cap also its 13-psi or 0.9 bar original pressure. Best part it was $4.50, I think that was the lowest price part ever purchased for my Ferrari.

7. daddad

daddad Rookie

Dec 6, 2011
    Middletown,N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Sorry that's a Stant Cap #10330 some times I type to fast.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Going 1.1 cures this problem - at least until THAT wears out too.

I had the overflow problem happen about a month into ownership (1997). I put a 1.1 and never looked back. Not another drip in 15 years and 50,000 miles.

9. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I bought my replacement cap from Superformance, as I wanted to replace the tired original spring, seal, etc......no cooling problems whatsoever. Coolant is the local auto parts store brand, pre-mixed 50/50. The only time that she drops coolant on the floor is when I've over-filled the tank. I've learned the "sweet spot" for the car, and it doesn't happen any longer.

10. theobordeaux

theobordeaux Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
  11. daddad

daddad Rookie

Dec 6, 2011
    Middletown,N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Sounds right, being an engineer its like having a pressure cooker and changing the safety valve, 13psi to 16psi or 0.9 to 1.1bar on an old engine can cause problems. I am telling everyone just check your cap or replace as common service.

12. Capitalist

Capitalist Karting

Aug 21, 2010
    Darien, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    While any overheating event - regardless of pressure - can cause (substantial) damage to your engine, switching from a 0.9 bar cap to a 1.1 bar cap does not materially change the risk of damage.

The reason for this: the increase in boiling point going from 0.9 bar (1425 mmHg) to 1.1 bar (1575 mmHg) is minimal, only a few degC. (Going from a 0 bar open system to a 1.1 bar system pressure raises the boiling point by 40 degC.)

A higher-pressure cap, causing the cooling system to endure higher pressures when stressed, will more likely result in a burst hose or gasket, or extrusion of hoses from clamps / fittings. This stuff definitely shouldn't be ignored, but as far as risks go, they are minor. (Watch the large diameter hoses and the large circumference water pump gasket carefully; both LaPlace and experience say they experience the largest tension from the pressure.)

But a 1.1 bar cap is a very minimal band-aid for a bigger underlying problem, so it's still not much of a solution: if you have a problem that is somewhat mitigated by a 1.1 bar cap, your underlying problem is still there and it will come back to bite you. And boiling off your coolant, regardless of whether you have a 0.9 bar or 1.1 bar cap, runs a very high probability of doing real internal engine damage, even if you shut it down quickly, etc. And besides, no one likes a sports car that smells bad and piddles all over the street!

A better approach than a higher pressure cap would be to reduce the coolant concentration to 30% glycol, rather than the standard 50%. A 30% concentration gives up only a few degC of boiling point, but has more than 10% more heat carrying capacity improvement versus the 50% mix. Also, the 30% concentration has an improved viscosity, so pumps better (lower load on the water pump) and flows faster, again further improving the heat carrying capacity of the cooling system. A 30% concentration freezes at ~2 degF (-16 degC), so this is definitely a three season approach (no F-car excursions to the ski challet). But then, not many of us drive these cars in winter temps.....

A 30% glycol concentration should really be a standard approach in street performance summer fun cars, IMHO: this is actually more than just a band-aid. (Further reducing concentration, to 20% or 25% say, is not a good trade: too much reduction of boiling point for less heat capacity and viscosity improvement, and operation near freezing becomes somewhat risky.)

-frank

13. daddad

daddad Rookie

Dec 6, 2011
    Middletown,N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanks for Information, Never to old to learn. Thanks Again. Ken