any pointers to price of dino offered for sale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

any pointers to price of dino offered for sale

Discussion in '206/246' started by bertspeed, Mar 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #26 swift53, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry Bert, first learn in the wading pool, then go into the ocean...
    This, comes from someone that made the two biggest Dino buying mistakes in life, but then, no book was available. F-chat and the great fellows on it saved me, just look at my restorations, and they are strictly done in house, well...90%.

Now that Matthias's book is available, study, learn, and know what you want.
    I'd bet you would buy a Rosetta Stone language course before going to a really foreign country?
    Same issue here. Imagine, there are 4 versions of Dino + GTS, and they are all very particularly not the same in their own, just as a '72 911, T, E, and S. Same car, very different car and $$$.

Dino can be a wonderful Greece or a terrible Germany;)
    There are many Dino buyers out there, the competition is fierce to find a really good car and unfortunately, those are not for sale. Buy the best you can, with photos that document the work, and don't get fooled by a shiny, pretty face.

As someone said, there are some incredibly beatiful 'girls for hire', but would you marry one?

Learn to speak Dino.

Regards, Alberto

PS. Professional inspections are great, but no one has x-ray vision. You have to be the final judge, it's like sending someone out to buy you a suit for you...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If the OP isn't willing to travel to Italy for a six figure purchase, then I'd agree with greyboxer.

Looking at the photos, the car in question has the potential to be a restoration project (in which case it is priced high).

From my experience in the Porsche 356 world, where rust is religion, I'd say you either want to buy the best, most documented car you can, or -- if you want it perfect -- buy something that already has the need for a mechanical teardown and body restoration factored into the price. An in-betweener doesn't usually make financial sense.

But, true love between a man and a car is a special thing, so money isn't always the whole story...

3. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I strongly suspect this car will need a complete restoration.
    Some of you guys have restored these cars-- what did it cost you? Of course the answer can vary by a factor of 2 based on what you want the result to be, but what is a ballpark range?

4. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    The one that speed masters in yhe UK seems to be good value at the moment....restored in 93 by Terry Hoyle as well

www.speedmastercars.com

5. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I went to see that car. Overall it's in nice condition and runs well but has quite a few incorrect detail issues. It's also missing it's tool and jack kits, has no leather pouch/owners manual/parts book etc and has a few deep scratches on the paintwork.

6. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I suspect it may be difficult to find one for less now though!
    Having said that if it has no tools books and paint damage, you could probably add £10k !!

7. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    This car needs indeed a complete restoration which is 60k Euro at a minimum.

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    My L series, has 2000 hours+ on it. Now it is only a matter of re-assembly, figure 500 more.
    Of course, this car was an extreme situation as it was realistically an 'organ donor' candidate.
    Only exception, were the geographical settings, that allowed its resuscitation.

Realistically, it is very difficult to assess, until all is taken apart. Clearly, this applies only if you are doing a nut and bolt resto.

In hindsight, and in the USA or UK/EU, I would buy someone else's "DOCUMENTED" work and pay less for all their troubles, as they will never recoup 100% of their investment.

Regards, Alberto

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    More details on this car crossed my desk out of the blue today. It is without a doubt an early M Series. Sorry but I did not get a serial number. From the additional photos I saw the car requires a total restoration and is likely not fit for driving without a comprehensive service. As such I feel the price is in the high end of what is reasonable but for sure not totally out to lunch either.

10. GTA246GT

GTA246GT Karting

Oct 23, 2005
    Sweden
    Hi,

is this Dino sold? If not does anyone have the contact details to the owner/seller to share?

Ciao/ Bjorn

Dino 246GT #01248

11. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Now that is funny, it could be a driver and the restoration would cost at least twice that for one that is worth while.

12. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    My suggestion look at as many cars as you can. Half the fun is the chase right? become an expert. Spend at least a few months then when the right one pops up you won't have to ask this group, you'll know.

13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    If I buy it, you can have the light. Free.

Regards, Alberto

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #39 swift53, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I do not want to sound jaded or by any means imply that all Dino are in this condition, yet I would like for someone to tell me how is this mayhem spotted before such a lucky purchase?

A professional PPI would be hard pressed to show these body issues, unless extreme measures were undertaken to arrive at the truth. At some point in time, ALL Dino were unloved and disregarded as not worth the Bondo slathered on them, unless they are one or two owner cars, or with a bulletproof provenance history.

When I purchased this plastic surgeon's nightmare, a non driver, with engine out but all there, I was clearly told that it would require $100K of USA labor to restore.
    Therefore I was perfectly aware of the finances involved.

But, and this is a big huge but, what happens when you, dear Dino passionate lover, buy a 'Driver' that is presentable, has a few 'visible issues', and one day you have a slight rust bubble that you want to repair and find what you see in the above photos?

I would not wish to be in those lovely driving shoes after I plopped $160K for a 'driver'.

As Rob and your other Dino counselors very wisely advise, do your homework, buy Matthias's book, learn about the car, and minimize your risk.
    At the end of the road, it is a very pleasant experience.

Good hunting!

Alberto