Official "All the strange things that my F1 equipped Ferrari has done to me" thread | FerrariChat

Official "All the strange things that my F1 equipped Ferrari has done to me" thread

Discussion in '360/430' started by RayJohns, Feb 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #1 RayJohns, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
    Okay, in the spirit of this thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233279

I hereby start the official "All the strange things that my F1 equipped Ferrari has done to me" thread. Let's here your stories and your solutions. I'm sure it will be helpful to future F1 owners to have a thread which details issues to watch for, things which have gone wrong and how you handled them, etc.

Let 'em rip.

Ray

2. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    This is exactly why I wanted a manual, and the fact that my wife can't drive a stick only helps.

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hey,

Not terribly helpful, but one of the funniest I've read was the "Ferrari Tech" who told a customer "if it won't engage 1st, try rocking in your seat - That normally works!" :D

I then added further advice that any "passenger should also rock, it won't help get the car into 1st, but it will entertain anyone looking on...."

FBB added a note that it was of course important that any "stereo" rocking must be "in sync" or the effect is cancelled.

:D

Cheers,
    Ian

4. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    My 360 F1 makes me smile every time I drive it.
    It is especially wonderful on track.

Lou

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #5 RayJohns, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
    okay, Lou, please stay after school. This is not the I love my F1 thread :) We want to hear about what goes wrong and what's required to make it go right on the F1 360 cars :) In the long run, I think it will be helpful to have a collection of information, insight and howto's for F1 users. 360 was in many ways a pivotal year for the F1 system for Ferrari.

Ray

6. CyclingPeaks

CyclingPeaks Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2006
    Big Island, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Hunter Allen
    Go over a speed bump at 10pm Christmas eve.
    Car shuts off.
    F1 light comes on.
    Push car out of road with amused neighbor.
    (-Long story, short- The hose clamp on the bottom of the reservoir was loose and leaking fluid very slowly.)

-Add tranny fluid.
    -Wait 10 minutes. Restart the car. Drive home.

-The toughest thing to figure out is what is the EXACT Correct level in the reservoir and when you check it.
    -What I know:
    1)- Prime the pump.
    2)- Check the dipstick.
    3)- Level must be between the notches.

If the fluid is hot, then the level will be ABOVE the top notch. This is where you can get bitten.
    It 'appears' that you have the right level in there, but in reality, your F1 level could be low on edge.

Hunter

7. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    Detention would be a pleasure :)
    Yes, I agree that the F1 grew up alot with the 360.

There are some well-known
    issues in the archives, most notably the F1 pump. Ferrari started
    superceding to the Stradale pump as a upgrade for all 360s. Once I
    got the newer F1 pump and the newer computer, the system seems
    to be great. As with all things computerized, the knowledge of your
    service tech goes a long way toward making the system run better.
    There seem to be a lot of techs out there that will claim that your
    PIS setting needs to be adjusted when the real issue is either a worn
    clutch or, in one case with me, a failing brake switch. My only
    gripe with the system is that it costs too much to buy an SD-2
    so that I could DIY the settings.

Lou

8. Skipper

Skipper Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Frank Drebin
    any ever not be able to get into first gear ( skips right to second) and the auto feature doesn't work either?

9. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Not a glitch from my F1 cars during 6 years of ownership. Two 355:s and now my 430 Scuderia...

10. Skipper

Skipper Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Frank Drebin
    fixed it!!!! user error, had the traction control off or on , toggled it back and she is back in action

11. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I'm surprised this thread never got more responses. I remember when Ray posted it.

Maybe F1 car owners have short term memory. I say this from experience on Fchat. I've heard about so many strange and annoying F1 problems on this site for years now.

12. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I am surprised no one mentioned the F1 reverse lever failure.

13. vegas

vegas Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Australia
    Two strange things with mine -
    1. When I push the accelerator down hard - things start going past very fast.
    2. It seems to spontaneously attract traffic cops - I never had either of these issues with my VW Beetle.

not very helpful sorry..

14. RED TESTAROSSA

RED TESTAROSSA Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2009
    So. Calif.
    Full Name:
    Randy
    But funny!

15. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Perhaps those problems were overstated by a few disgruntled posters seeking the attention that always follows public complaints about a high end sports car. It’s a lot more fun than being ignored for posting “My car runs great, no problems!”.

I’m now well over 5 years and 40K miles on my ’02 F1 coupe filled with blissful excitement and zero problems. Nothing but routine maintenance at recommended intervals plus an occasional preemptive strike before trouble hits (e.g., replace F1 pump relay switch).

Now listen for the silence…..

16. ferrari502

ferrari502 Rookie

Jun 4, 2013
    Vancouver BC
    So here's a strange thing my 2002 Ferrari 360 F1 spider did to me a few months back. I was in second gear coming to a stop at an intersection and it felt as though it was trying to downshift to 1 but the car stalled. I was not able to start it back up and the red f1 light was on the dash. I waited and tried for about 20 minutes and nothing. Eventually I got it on a flatbed and to the Ferrari dealership. When I got there, the mechanic got in the car and told me to rock the front tire back and forth while he pulled both paddles back at the same time to put it into neutral. Surprisingly this worked and the car started back up. He says he's seen this happen before in these cars. Anybody else heard of this? Wouldn't want this happening again and there would be nothing more embarrassing than have it stalled again and telling someone to rock the tire back and forth

17. Fatty

Fatty Karting

Jun 5, 2010
    Australia
    #17 Fatty, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Random gearing issues, only happens during warmed up temperatures.
    Transmission fluid everywhere, either from the actuator(s) or hoses. Major cleanup job, and diagnosis.. sigh...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

When I first got my 360, it would creep forward without any throttle when in gear. Sort of like a real automatic transmission would do. Shifts were rough and would cause the kind of head slamming that Jeremy Clarkson was known to complain of. Got the PIS adjusted and creep at idle was corrected and shifts were smooth. Cost - $0.

Only other issue was F1 bleed block had to be replaced. But I have since learned that the three pedal cars have the same issue.

19. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Sometimes have issues going into 2nd when cold. Oh wait that's the 3 pedal issue :D

20. Gurjeous

Gurjeous Guest

Sep 13, 2012
    Actually I had a similar experience right after getting my clutch done on my 01 360 and I asked the Ferrari dealer why when I parked the car on a slight hill and don't trust only having the parking brake on so I would leave it in first and when I came back I couldn't get it out of first. I told them I would have to try to put in reverse or try various things and then it would pop into neutral and then I could start car. The dealer said that I am suppose to put the car in first gear and then parking brake, not the other way around or the car will be stuck in first gear and the only way to put it in neutral would b to have someone rock the car and I keep trying both paddles until it goes into neutral, so now I don't park on a hill cause I don't always have someone with me to rock a Ferrari with me lol but it makes sense. I really wish there was a more securing parking situation, other than that I love my F1, love the auto mode to drink my coffee and love the fact my wife can drive if I happen to have a drink :)

21. Gurjeous

Gurjeous Guest

Sep 13, 2012
    Sorry I said that wrong, put it in park first and then put it in first gear, sorry my bad

22. Gurjeous

Gurjeous Guest

Sep 13, 2012
    Put the parking brake on and then first gear

23. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Have you been drinking?

24. Ari

Ari Karting

Feb 23, 2010
    Everglades City FL
    Full Name:
    Ari Silversteinn
    Thank you Lou for those pearls of wisdom.

25. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hmmm... I think the car was giving me the F1 finger
    Let's see: I first had to deal with a transmission that wouldn't go into reverse. If I turned the car off, I could get it to move. Probably a sign of things to come. Then: Every time I started I would get the dreaded beeping and F1 light and unable to select a gear. Had to shut the car off and re-start. Didn't matter if the car was cold or hot. Dealer diagnosed a bad clutch position sensor that meant the transmission had to be removed ($4K) - all for a piece of wire/sensor.

Since the sensor was replaced, I've had no problems. The pump is running at 12 seconds to prime the system, up from 8 seconds. Suppose that's next...

Despite the F1 issues, I like driving with the F1.