The London marathon. | FerrariChat

The London marathon.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Fan512bbi, Apr 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Anybody watching or better still anybody ever competed? I try to watch every year but with the GP starting at 11.30 I wont see the finish this year, the womens elite have just started with the wheelchair users next.

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    My ex did it one time years back.

A silly pursuit IMO - the human body just isn't made to run that far. Theres a good reason God gave us cars. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

3. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    +1.

My mum used to be a physiotherapist and she would go into one whenever marathon running were mentioned. Cycling yes, repeatedly sending shocks through your leg joints thousands of times no.
    A guy I used to work with was an obsessive marathon runner and did his joints in eventually to the point he could hardly walk.

4. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Only saw it in the movies - "Run Fatboy Run", starring Simon Pegg (hilarious movie!).

I have run 3 marathons in the last 3 years, and will run 2 this year. I took up distance running 3 years ago to have a significant goal for my 50th birthday, and kept at it since I enjoy the challenges and the cameraderie of the group I run with.

As for joints - there's plenty available to read about technique, and proper running technique is critical to avoiding injury. There's more to it than just strapping on a pair of thick, cushy shoes and heading out. Contrary to common opinion, most people do not know how to run properly. For the stories you hear about people with injuries or long-term damage, there are many more about people who've been running for decades with no injuries or issues at all.

5. 458beast

458beast Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2011
    rainy
    Full Name:
    Will
    My mum use to run the marathon every year a few years back but stopped...

marathons are boring to watch I usually tuned in the last 5 mins to see who won..