My Mondial t repair project- Part 2 | FerrariChat

My Mondial t repair project- Part 2

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by nino calamita, Apr 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    #1 nino calamita, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hi Nino,

Best of luck, I look forward to your post. By the way, I am curious to know how you got the car on the ramps. Do you roll it up under its own power and then jack up the front?

Lino

3. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I cannot wait to see you work your magic on that engine bay like you did on the front end of your car. So far so good!

4. adamae82

adamae82 Karting

Nov 22, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Al Peralta
    This will be another great thread. Hopefully everything will be alright. All the best.

5. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Nino, looking forward to this thread but I know you will be fine!

All the best!

6. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Hey Nino,
    Are those rear tires old? Doesn't look like there's a lotta tread left. Maybe it's just the way it photographed.

7. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    This is going to be good! If you get a chance, I would love to know how high you have to lift the car in order to get the engine out.

Dave

8. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    +1

9. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    #9 nino calamita, Apr 23, 2012
    As a reply to Lino's question regards getting the Mondial up the ramps, with the very low ground clearance of the Mondial it is a lot better to jack the vehicle up and then place the ramps under the wheels.
    Jay, the rear tyres do have quite a lot of tread above the wear indicators so it must be the way they show up on the photo.
    And Dave, once the rear sub frame was lowered onto the trolly which I only put together this moring before going off and doing 2 funerals I found it quite surprising that I did'nt need to raise the body very much to clear the rear sub frame mounting points as I pulled the whole assembly clear. The whole process only took a couple of days and found it quite easy to do. Have my one and only funeral tomorrow starting at 1:45 in the afternoon so I will have time in the morning to remove the cambelt and inspect the bearings etc.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    Incidentally, my very good friend Mick who is in the next to the last photo in the last post and gave me a hand today in removing the engine is himself in the process of restoring a 1977 308 GTB fiberglass model belived to be according the the chassis no. the last fiberglass body 308 to come off the production line in RHD and has only covered 6800 miles!
    I have persuaded him to join the forum but he is very shy when it comes to posting his project. He is hoping to finish it in the next 18 months or so and we are both looking forward to our trip to the Ferrari factory when completed.

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #11 soucorp, Apr 23, 2012
  12. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hey Nino,

Thanks for the reply. I am really impressed in the use of what ever is available on hand to do your work. It really prooves that you don't need high tech. tools to get the job done.

Tell your friend Mick that I am sure that no one will judge him here and it would be great to see his GTB restoration.

When are you going to the factory, my son and me will be there visiting the plant in November and then to Caserta for a short visit with my Uncle.

Buona fortuna con il progetto del motore e cinture.

Lino

13. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #13 davebdave, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
    Great info Nino! We have a 4-post lift in our garage but when the car will be cantilevered off of the back, it will be located under a storage loft. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get the car high enough to slide the engine out. But, from your photos, it looks like once the rear bumper is away, there is good clearance.

I keep putting off the inevitable, but in a few years I will have to tackle the belt. Thanks much for posting your work.

Dave

14. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Nino:

This is great. Are you going to detail each step of the procedure? If so, it will be a good guide for someone who wants to do this. I don't want to be presumptuous, but if you have to order parts, could you list when, who and cost when you do?

Thanks, looking forward to this thread.

Art

15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    couple of questions:

- do you have the SN for that 308 ? :) would be nice to know

- are you going to be using Hill bearings

- and just for me: What is the status/condition of your gas, recirc canister?

thanks for the postings

rik

16. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    Hi Rik, regards SN of 308 I would have to get that off my friend and will post it later.
    Because of bad weather here in the UK I have yet to remove the cambelt but at first glance it appears that the bearings are quite new and are SKF which I am not sure if they are original Ferrari items or not, dare say someone will tell us. If these are shot then yes to that question.
    With this beeing a euro model a recirc canister is not fitted. As soon as the bad weather clears I will then remove the cambelt and pressure clean the complete assembly ready to remove the camcovers etc.

17. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Nino,

Is pressure washing good for engines? But I know you surely know what your doing!

I just remember reading this thread on steam cleaning engines:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29476&highlight=power+washing+engine

I want to give a good clean to mine but afraid to pressure clean it, so most likely will use Simple Green and a brush with a light mist of water to wash it away.

18. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    Hi Mike, in my opinion and experience over the years and having pressure cleaned lots of engines have not had any problems, having said that you do need to take precations with alternators, distributors and any other sensitive electrical items simply by covering with some form of water proof material ie. rubber/latex surgicial gloves which will slip over most items and keep most of the water off.

19. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA

- good deal on the recirc not there: REAL pain

- while out, make sure to check the window wiring as NOT tied down so that getting to the motor and wires when engine is back in that doesn't become a future problem. T's are not the same in regards to fixing rear windows when down as in the older Mondials.

- Just me, but I'd replace the tension bearings.

- remember to check the water pump as it would be another huge issue later. Cam bearing seals might be a good time to replace too.

good luck on this and look fwd to the pics and postings.

rik

20. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    Hi Rik, yes I agree. Forgot to mention that it appears that the water pump has been changed at sometime and also the camshaft seals.

21. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Makes total sense Nino, thanks. I do have some extra large rubbers ;) that I can put to good use to wash my engine.

btw, Bradan's 348 major service thread maybe helpful to you:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338260&highlight=348+major

cheers!

22. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I would agree, I have done the same. I use an engine degreaser (Gunk) and a brush and the pressure wash. I don't point the nozzle at electrical items and cover alternator.

Lino

23. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Nino, how's it going? Inquiring minds want to know.....

24. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    This is great.
    Taking lots of notes.

25. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    Hi Jay, thanks for asking, the answer is very slow at the moment. Very heavy rain here in the UK over the last week, in fact we have in force at the moment a ban on using hose pipes to wash cars, water gardens etc. even though it has been the wettest April on record and over a recent 24hr period we have had a months worth of rain, crazy or what. Anyway I have managed to remove a few items off the engine ready for cleaning and painting. Pics to follow.