Sub woofer box for my 355 | FerrariChat

Sub woofer box for my 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Extreme, Apr 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    #1 Extreme, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I’m sure the purist won’t like what I’m doing to my 355, although I’m willing to bet there are others that would like to do the same thing. With that I’ve decided to post pictures of my custom fiberglass sub-woofer sealed enclosure housing a Alpine type R 8" sub. I built it out of ¼ foam and fiberglass for a lightweight sandwich structure. So far I have the inside glassed and I’m currently working on the recessed shield shape where I will place a Ferrari cavallino. The nice thing about this enclosure is that it mounts to the car via the factory mounts for the glove box on the rear shelf. This means the box can be removed in about 5 min and the car returned to factory appearances.
    When it’s all done I will have it covered in black leather to match the interior.

As for not having a place to store my targa top behind the seats, this isn’t really an issue for me since I don’t drive much with the top off and when I do it’s just local trips around town.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sdbmwfxr

sdbmwfxr Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    San Diego
    That's awesome. It'll look great once covered. Ever think of sinking the sub into the assembly so you son't even see the speaker?

3. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    Nice work Erick. It is going to be awesome. By the way, what is that little funny looking hole in the middle for? :D

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Erick - How is it attached to the glove box fitting? If it can be easily removed, yet still securely mounted on original fixing points, it seems like a smart design.

5. Trance

Trance Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2009
    Nashville/Knoxville
    Full Name:
    Pouya V
    Looks like a great project! And good choice on the sub. I think you should paint the enclosure to match the interior, just my opinion.

6. Tomax

Tomax Karting

Apr 27, 2004
    It is hard to blend in with the interior if you go put a great big SF shield in there. Obviously your car and do what you please - but I would suggest doing a photoshop mock of that first.
    I think putting shields everywhere is usually something that should be left for the replica guys.

Recessing the speaker as in the earlier post is a good idea too.

7. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    #7 treedee3d, Apr 22, 2012
    I agree, I too sometimes look at the car and feel like putting emblems everywhere but I have to hold myself back because it can get tacky.

However, if you absolutely must, you can go with something like this as it would blend in nicely in the black interior as opposed to the yellow colorful option.

What do you think?

8. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    Im not going with the normal SF shield. I think you will like the way it turns out. Lets just say its not yellow or even a shield for that matter.

9. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Can't wait to see what you do...

10. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    #10 Extreme, May 14, 2012
    I finally got the sub box finished. It looks good and sounds Great!

I had it covered in vinyl instead of expensive leather, the match is excellent.

My 355 GTS has only top shelf mounted glove box, I used two of these brackets for the mounting scews I hope you can see them in the pictures.

11. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
  12. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Cool beans.

13. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    Is it just the flash of the camera or is the black on your subwoofer cabinet a deeper black than the rest of the interior leather? Just curious. Great craftsmanship. I really like the chrome cavallino in the middle of the black shield depression. ;)

14. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    The flash for some reason really makes the vinyl look darker; I guess it might have to do with the grain differences in the leather versus vinyl. Without the flash it's pretty damn close. It has the same dull look of the Ferrari leather.

I thought about painting the cavallino flat black to blend in and have a subdued look. Obviously ended up going with the chrome look.

15. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    I think it looks great in chrome. ;) It really looks classy in my opinion.

16. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Who did the sewing? The stitching on that box looks great.

17. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    I had a local shop do it, I have zero experience with upholstery.