Lift-O-Mat Strut Replacements | FerrariChat

Lift-O-Mat Strut Replacements

Discussion in '348/355' started by RSO1091, Apr 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RSO1091

RSO1091 Formula 3

Mar 31, 2012
    Idyllwild, CA.
    Full Name:
    Henry S.
    I just replaced both engine compartment hood struts on my 1995 F355 with ones purchased from O'Reilly Auto Parts. Their stock number is SAC SG459025 and they cost $17.99 each. I know that there are probably many sources out there for these parts, but I thought I'd pass this along for those in search of a bargain. It seems that these types of purchases (at reasonable prices) are far and few in between for Ferrari owners, so we should take advantage whenever possible.

2. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    Henry,
    Thanks for posting this information.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #3 f355spider, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
    Henry thanks for posting, it is good to know we have some options.

The factory oem part is SG437007 and the N rating is 400 or 90lbs. About $25 from Rockauto.com
    There is a popular and less expensive one SG404018 but are stronger and rated higher (I think around 465N or 105lbs). About $10 each. They seem to last a little longer, but to be honest, not significantly so. I think engine heat causes the rear ones to fail so quickly.

The less expensive ones work great for the heavier front trunk, as they help it to stay up better, but on the lighter engine lid, Dave Helms has reported the stronger struts can cause damage to the hinges where they are welded to the lid.

So the oem is recommended on the engine lid, the less expensive/stronger ones for the front trunk.

The one you are listing (SG459025) is rated at around 335N or 75lbs. So they are a bit weaker than oem. Should absolutely work just fine (and no risk of damaging the engine lid)...but may not last very long...particularly on the engine lid; but for some reason they last about four times as long on the front trunk. I like the stronger ones on the front trunk...with the oem ones, more than once I have been bonked on the head when a gust of wind causes it to drop... ;)

4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I just put the light ones on from Rock auto and they dont hold the lid open, lucky I got the higher pressure ones also and will give them a try tomorrow

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice find Henry.

Don't forget to add the info to the 355 cross reference thread.

6. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I use the stronger ones on the rear lid and what I think causes a risk of cracking is the load when it rapidly rises and then stops, but I do like the holding power. So I just open it with the mechanical release in the gas door and keep a hand on the lid as it comes up to prevent that whip action. Seems to be a good compromise

7. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Dave Helms posted in another thread to use one of the stronger ones on the engine lid and then the OEM. Just a thought.

I need to replace the engine lid ones on mine once I get it.

David

8. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    Used the RockAuto on my 98 engine lid and just used one of the pair. worked fine,saved the other.

9. RSO1091

RSO1091 Formula 3

Mar 31, 2012
    Idyllwild, CA.
    Full Name:
    Henry S.
    A lot of great input here guys. I'll let you know how long they last in the rear engine compartment, especially as they are only rated at 75lbs.

I've only had my car a few weeks and am comforted to know that there is such a great resource out there where I can get ideas on how to repair at least some of the little things myself. Just put in an order from Ricambi for the lid actuator knob-thingie that is now made of brass in the blower box of my 355. At $63, it's a small (literally) reminder of how expensive this little hobby is going to be to maintain.

But just taking it out for a short drive up a nearby mountain road makes all of that go away...

Henry

10. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I always say that the sound alone is worth the price of admission.