ferrari 308 gtb or 1985gts | FerrariChat

ferrari 308 gtb or 1985gts

Discussion in '308/328' started by marcussean, Apr 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marcussean

marcussean Karting

Sep 21, 2010
    montreal
    Full Name:
    marco
    Hi need help, should I buy a 1977 308gtb or a 1985 ferrari 308 gts , both good cars and similar price the 1985 a bit more expensive

cheers

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That's a bigger question then you think it is

3. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

Agreed...

The question is what do you want the car for?? They are fairly different experiences and either has advantages and disadvantages. Its really a decision you need to make...

PDG

4. jrosevear

jrosevear Rookie

Mar 2, 2005
    Massachusetts USA
    Full Name:
    John Rosevear
    I suspect that the answer is that you probably shouldn't buy either until you do more research... which should start with driving them both, if you haven't already.

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If both cars are in similar condition, I would get the 1985 GTS, the last year of the 308 era. But, that just me. Drive both cars if you can and decide.

6. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Carb v. fuel injected, hardtop v. targa, that's plenty to think about just there. How are you going to use the car? Is opening the top important? What's the condition and history of each car?

In short - "that's a bigger question than you think it is"

7. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
  8. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Carbs and a gtb; there simply isn't a better combination ....

9. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Carbs (based on what I've read here) sound better and offer a little more power, GTB is arguably better looking and certainly more rigid. If those are your priorities, that's the way to go.

For me, the the reliability of the fuel injected QV and the targa top were priorities.

10. DWPC

DWPC Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2011
    Sedona AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Though GTBs are scarcer and considered by many Ferrari aficionados as more attractive, the iconic GTS is more popular generally and typically more sellable to 1st time F-car buyers.

11. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I had the same dilema when I bought my 77GTB. It was between it and an 85 GTS, I chose the 77 for the carbs, more solid chassis, & purer lines. I have some what regretted it ever since for these reasons:
    Fuel injection starts & runs better hot & cold
    Sodium filled exhaust valve failure of the 77 could turn the lump into scrap aluminum
    85 should have the magnesium 16in wheels
    Easier to get into & out of GTS with top off

Just my .02

12. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Why not wait for an '85 QV GTB? That's what I'm doing. I'm starting to feel like its an impossible quest however.

Another option would be a dry sump, glass GTB. More money but I would argue that is negated by the future value.

13. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Carb car will be more raw and sound better, and a GTB will drive better due to being a closed roof. QV better build quality and more refined. As someone mentioned, it would be very helpful if you could drive both.

14. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    As long as they are in similar condition, drive both, then do whatever your heart tells you.

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I owned my 77 GTB for 13 years. More reliable FI ? I don't think so. My carbs have NEVER been hard to start cold or hot. Never gave me hard times because of the carbs. I think it really is just a matter of taste. I personally would never trade my carb 308 for a FI. And I wanted a hard roof. I like the vintage look of the 8 holes when I lift the air cleaner lid and like the clean line of the GTB.
    I just bought a 3.2 Mondial Cab so now I have a FI and no roof to complement the GTB.

Good luck with your search and like others said try driving both if it's possible and buy what you prefer. I think they are both good cars.

16. pmichaelg

pmichaelg Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nothing new to add here. Moving along... :)

17. andy2175m4@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy Rein
    I am tall, and the removable roof of the GTS makes it so much easier to get in and out of, but if you are really more concerned about the future value (collectability) of the car, the GTB is more rare and should appreciate more in the future.

but really you should try them on like a pair of shoes, which one fits you best ?

tall: GTS

not so tall: GTB

if the shoe fits, wear it.

18. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    @Andy - certainly you arent suggesting that he should choose the car based on his height are you?? LOL!!! ;)

PDG

19. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Definately need to drive both. I wanted a GTB but found I couldn't fit. If you are asking which is more reliable they both have their plusses and minuses, have the 308 you decide you like the best checked out by someone who knows these cars and make sure you get a car with a service history.

20. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I would argue!!! ;) I think the GTS with the roof off looks better than anything out there! I actually like it with the roof on too :) ... and the louvers ...

'85 GTS would be my vote.

21. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    GTB nice car,

the 85 GTS...a great car

What was the question again?

22. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    My 2 fav models. I have an 85 GTS and it is the best looking of the GTS styles IMO. A carbed GTB and also the tops. It's a toss up for me. With the 85 you get some extra rust protection and a few less demons to deal with. Steel carbed gtbs are going to be the next collectible in the 308 series.

23. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have owned both plus I had an 85 GTB for a while. The 77 is just plain cooler, more raw. If you have some mechanical ability, that will help. If you just want to get in and drive, the 85 will most likely be easier to live with. I am very partial to GTBs. They are much nicer driving cars.

Dave

24. Aurum

Aurum Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    CT
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Add my name to the GTB side of the debate. IMHO, the GTB is second only to the hardtop 2X6 dino for "sexiest" Ferrari. And I truly mean "sexiest".

25. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    After owning my '83 GTS, I wouldn't mind trying out a carbed GTB.

IMO, the GTB is the purest design. I don't take the t-top off very often, so lack of the open-top option wouldn't bother me. No problems with the carbs or a "rawer" car here...I got all that down with my '64 Series I 330 2+2 and previous Corvette. The carbed cars undeniably sound the best and a little more go would be nice.

My biggest concerns would be the GTB's sodium-filled valves and letting go of a nice, sorted out, and dead-reliable car.

Conclusion: Get a spare t-top and have it painted to match, do some tweaking for better throttle response. Expensive, but not as much as changing cars.

Decide what you really want before you buy, not after.