Battery conditioner | FerrariChat

Battery conditioner

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Cavallino 458, Apr 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cavallino 458

Cavallino 458 Karting

Jun 24, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Vic Rob
    Can I ask what other owners' experiences have been with the battery conditioner usage particularly where you don't drive your car for say 2-3 weeks. Do most people lock their cars with the conditioners left plugged in or do you leave your car unlocked?

Has anyone experienced low battery voltage after a few weeks of non useage with the car locked and the conditioner plugged in?

I have been advised that the alarm/anti theft system does draw on the battery substantially when the car is locked.

Thanks

2. Ag N Au

Ag N Au Rookie

Feb 11, 2009
    CHV, CO
    I always use a battery conditioner on my cars, particualrly if they will not be used for more than a couple of days (I am sure that you could get away with longer periods of time).

With regards to the 458, I do not lock the doors as the connection is on the passenger's side below the dash and requires running the power cord out the door. On the Fcars with the connection in the boot, like the 612 and 599, I lock the car doors. Either way, I have not had any low battery voltage issues, even after the car sits for a month (required when I take those extended trips to Oz).

3. Cavallino 458

Cavallino 458 Karting

Jun 24, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Vic Rob
    Thanks - so when you leave the car for a month is it locked or unlocked?

Cheers

4. Ag N Au

Ag N Au Rookie

Feb 11, 2009
    CHV, CO
    The 458 is always unlocked while on the conditioner.

5. Cavallino 458

Cavallino 458 Karting

Jun 24, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Vic Rob
    Thanks AG that makes sense and is pretty much in line with what my F service manager said to do.

Cheers

6. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I use the battery conditioner when the car will not be driven over a couple of days. I did the same routine with all my other cars. None of them ever experienced any low voltage. Always locked.

7. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    It remains unlocked in my garage. I bring the wire out of a cracked passenger side window. I put the conditioner on if I am not going to drive it for a couple of days.

8. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    If I don't use the 458 for a week or if I know it won't be used for more than a week, it goes on the conditioner. Always unlocked in the garage.

9. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    I always use the conditioner connected, door shut and car locked. Only thing I've experienced was when I have the car locked on the tender and unlock the car, remove the tender and immediately try and start the car...it doesn't. However, if I unlock the car, remove the tender and re-lock the car for a few minutes and then unlock...the car starts right up. The passenger door shuts right on top of the cord and doesn't cause any damage to the cord.

10. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    I store my F Cars over 4 months in hot humid summer Florida while being North and always use the Conditioner on the 458 and with batteries off on my 430, 512TR, and 575 with windows open to get cool AC air circulataing inside to avoid mildew. Never had a problem.

I do wish the 458 had a battery off switch

11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    My dealer told me the battery would go dead if the car sat for seven days. I assume that is for a good battery and would only becomes less with time. I always plug the condioner in wheter in my house garage or my car storage area.

The dealer also told me if the condtioner is plugged in the car but not the electical outlet that the battery would be drawn down.

doing this I have had no problem.

Lee

12. Cavallino 458

Cavallino 458 Karting

Jun 24, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Vic Rob
    Thanks to all who responded. There are definitely some differing views. Are there any FChatters who are unable to use the car daily/weekly because of holidays/travel etc would be good to hear from you as to what you do if the car is not going to be used for 2-4 weeks.

Conditioner on
    Car locked/unlocked?
    Any issue on resarting after an extended break of non use?

Cheers

13. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    I typically drive her once very 2-3 weeks. In between drives, she's lcoked with battery tender plugged in. No trouble starting as long as the battery charger is disconnected, the car locked then unlocked a few minutes later. I'm guessing it resets the electronics.

14. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've left my car for up to 3 weeks without the charger and it started OK, admittedly in mild conditions. I think 4 weeks might have been pushing my luck though.

If I use the charger, I just close the door on the cord and lock the car.

15. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Karting

Mar 4, 2012
    My dealer said that if you leave the car for 2 weeks or more, you should always use the conditioner. I close and lock my car every time I use it. Just make sure that the cord is placed as recommended (lower front of the passenger door).

16. Cavallino 458

Cavallino 458 Karting

Jun 24, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Vic Rob
    Thanks Smokey, so when you leave the car without driving it for more than a couple of weeks (with conditioner on and car locked) you don't have any issue with restarting? Do you notice any change in battery charge?

17. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Since lead-acid batteries do not like constant discharging and charging, it is good practice to keep the battery in a high charge state. Thus the use of the conditioner even for short periods of down time.

18. tonybrasco

tonybrasco Karting

Aug 7, 2011
    N.Y.C.
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    my car goes for months on the charger with the doors locked, no kinks in the wire .. wire goes right under passengers door no problems..

19. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Karting

Mar 4, 2012
    So far so good! I have not had any problem. I have yet not left it for a longer period (i.e. winter) but probably others have which could advice...

20. 16MMM

16MMM Rookie

Sep 14, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    Randall
    If I am driving the 458 even once every 2-3 weeks I do not use the conditioner and do not have a problem , BUT I do not lock the car as the Alarm system draws from the battery. If I don't drive the car for more than 3 weeks, then conditioner is on and the doors locked. I had no problem restarting after 3 month winter storage this year.

21. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    True. Also, if the battery isn't kept fully charged, then the alternator has to do a lot of work every time the car is run, in order to re-charge the battery. Makes for a hard and short life for the alternator.

Which reminds me. I need to get a new battery charger, since someone stole mine last week. I'm pretty sure they didn't even know what it was they were stealing.

22. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The factory charger is not very high quality and mine quit and my 599 would not start after a month. I had my dealer wire the car for a "Battery Tender" which is a better charger. Unless I am going to use the car in a couple of days I put it on the tender.

23. 612scag

612scag Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2010
    My dealer installed a connection for a higher capacity batter tender when he delivered the car as the factory one is supposedly not that good. I usually put the car on the tender if I am not driving it for more than a week. Door stays unlocked. I don't use the tender if I will be gone just a few days. Haven't had any problems.

24. Cavallino 458

Cavallino 458 Karting

Jun 24, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Vic Rob
    Thanks - my dealer has suggested a C-Tek conditioner which plugs in exactly the same way as the factory unit. It conditions at slightly less than double the factory conditioner. Factory is 60 - 80 milliamps per hour whereas the C-Tek is 100-150 milliamps. Is yours a C-tek and was there any mention of factory warranty issues?

Cheers

25. 612scag

612scag Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2010
    I'll check the brand. No factory warranty issues.