Maserati Khamsin | Page 139 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Mark,

I'm not a Khamsin owner , Bora here, but I believe there are some similarities with this problem.

There are at least two possibilities here. One is that the cylinder itself is leaking the other is that the connection at the cylinder is leaking and that IS easily fixed.

That happened to me and I mistakenly thought the cylinder was bad. A simple O-ring fixed the pipe's attachment to the cylinder.

Your car has a bit more complex seating so I think you might also have a leaky control valve in the area.

You can clean the carpet of LHM by removing the carpet and gently washing it in warm water in a washing machine on gentle cycle. Watch out for shrinkage though. You may need to utilize some kind of a drying rack to hold it's size. I was never able to get the LHM out of my carpets with just a carpet cleaning machine that has a hand attachment. That stuff is insidious.

There are references already posted on this thread for switch and cylinder rebuilding here in N.A.

Good luck with it.

2. abarth69

abarth69 Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks Bob

Not sure if its still leaking or happened in the past

I guess I will have to start the car and move the seat around to find the leak. Not sure how the lines as attached?
    Any idea on the type of oring and size ?

Cheers

3. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sorry, no I don't remember. It wasn't anything special on the Bora and I expect it's the same for the Khamsin. Buna-N type.

Put some paper towel under the cylinders and pipe connections then work the adjustments.

I expect a knowledgeable Khamsin owner will pipe up and show the spots to check.

4. John Berg

John Berg Rookie

Dec 12, 2009
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    John Berg
    Hi Graeme,

Question - the nice new and white vacuum hoses and the clear return plastic hoses for you Khamsin - where did you find them!
    I have been looking with no luck until now!

Best regards
    John

P.S. my car needs jut two more weeks with the painter and then it will be ready for final assemble!

5. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    You can get more access by removing the seat from the runners fixed to the floor if a later car. (I think the early cars had slightly different seats and functions) The seat is held to the runners by 4 large screw headed bolts. Then you should be able to work the switch and see what happens as the supporting cage moves up and down.

The cylinder is similar to that for the headlights (but smaller I think) I can't remember what the connections looked like, but may be of the type that are held in place with a spring clip, behind which is the O ring Bob mentioned. I last purchased some from Barry Barisiac, but they need to be LHM compatible.

Finally got to take my car out for a run today with the break in the weather. Nice, put a grin on my face.
    Also let my co driver for K 40 have his first go, he did well.
    But looks like that dreaded leak on the LHM tank was not just down tot he filler neck as there was a small puddle under the car. Will have to get the spanners out next week and arrange for it to be repaired. Wish I had a stainless steel one like Graeme.

Bal

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Buna-n is mineral oil compatible.

Have a look here too.

http://citraulics.com/hydpumprbld.htm

Just find one in the right size, they're not unobtanium as far as I remember.

7. abarth69

abarth69 Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #3457 abarth69, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
    I just may be in luck as I fired up the car ran it moved the seat all around and no leaks it may just may of happed in the past.

Cleaned it all up along with the mat and will keep eye on it

Still would like to know how these lines come apart ?

Cheers

Mark

8. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    Had a nice day today playing with the old cars.

Took the countach out to get a MOT today. Then the Khamsin and fianlly swapped over with the 328. It's amazing to feel the differences in these cars and how they drive. The Khamsin is still such a fast car in comparison.

Fixed a few issues with it and one simple problem. Had a fluid leak from two dried out seals in side of steering rack. then checked the fluid and found it about 4cm from the bottom of the reservoir. Topped it up and the car drove and behaved so much better! Something I last checked a long time ago or so it seems!

So much more fun driving old cars compared to new ones!

Paul

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There's a clip you pull out and then the tube and O-ring slip out of the cylinder. The compressed O-ring makes the seal and allows for movement.

Leave some paper towel in there for a while, but yes it may have all happened in the past. Ivan bought that car and got the hydraulics working again. The PO to him didn't want to deal with it and just sold the car. He may know something. After that Classic Coach worked on the car for several years.

Maybe you should send him a note?

10. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Hi John

MIE had all the piping material it wasnt cheap but it does make a difference.
    I also replaced all the rubber hydraulic return hoses.

Hi Mark

The Most common leakage occurs on whats refered to as the staple fittings on the connections to the BOSCH Micro Hydrualic components.
    The main leackage comes from Seat control; Clave and headlight control valve. These seals from memory are 4mm in Dia havea 2.5mm bore and are 1.5mm Diameter.
    These seal are imposible to get and I have tried to get them made with no luch. The other isse is that the seal doenst just sit in the hole it is retained by a small brass ring which is a press in fit.

This system was originally used in the Mecedies 600 Pulman. I believe that if you own a Pulman you can buy them.

As for the actuators the seals can be replaced but the teflon guide seal on the actuator shaft is unique.

I would love to put all the original system back but after years of failed attemps I went the Electric path and Locked ot the seat actautor and ziptied the seat mecamism so it doesnt rock back and forth.

Regards

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This is interesting. I don't understand all the trouble in fixing this.
    I have a friend who like me used to own a Bora for many years. He's repaired these with simple O-rings before. I'll see if he can remember the details. He hasn't had the car for almost 15 years now. Is the Khamsin all that different? Certainly not the cylinders and the headlamp switch is the same part which is available new from Eurospares for about $60.

12. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I dont believe the Actuators are different sizes. However I tried Orings and they just leaked.
    Interesting the Eurospares had the Switchs are we talking the Hydraulic valves or the electrical rocker switches?

Cheers
    Graeme

13. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Very same reason I didn't do the repair myself after buying the o-rings from Barry Barisaic. I had the connector block on the left hand inner wing leaking plus the headlight switch, seat switch and the connector block on the inner a post. These all had the o-rings retained behind a brass press fit ferrule which had to be put back to the correct depth and extracted without damage. I ended up handing over to Pleiades to renew who supplied the o-rings as part of the work. So I still have an envelope with those I brought from the states.

Bal

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #3464 staatsof, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    I'm just talking about the headlamp switch. I believe the seat buttons on the Bora are different. I'm going to be speaking with my friend later today so maybe I can shed some light on that part at least.

Yeah, that switch for the Khamsin is really cheap IMHO and it fits the Bora though Eurospares doesn't show that in their on-line catalog.

The hydraulic cylinders were manufactured with that nylon as a part of the interlock retention method between the cylinder and the cap. Looks like it was injected in the interlock grooves? You'd have to get them apart without damaging them and then adapt something else. The guy in New Zealand? sells what looks like a very nice replacement which is serviceable for life. Seems like the way to go.

15. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    Sorry to sound like a a schoolboy in heat!
    Was out in the car visiting a friend out in the country today and driven about 100 miles in the K. Other than yesterday havent really been driving her much. I took one of his petrolhead 22y/o sons out for a wee run in the country roads around his house. He had never been in such an old car! He was very impressed with the performance. thought the ride and seats were very comfortable. Loved the sound.
    And everyone said it was such a beautiful car!
    Was in the west end of Glasgow ( the trendy bit) yesterday and left the car outside one of my fav cheese shops. No coincidence obviously! Anyway, as I was in the shop just smelling about, there was a group of about 8 people all around the car.
    When you see them on the road or parked, they are just stunning. Compared to modern cars, they just look like a piece of classic elegance and style.
    If we all got our cars out and each of us drove a few '000 km per annum, I think we would significantly raise the profile of the car.
    Beauty, is eternal. And these cars must be one of the most beautiful ever made!
    I will go take a cold shower now!

Paul

16. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    Forgot to mention, as I pulled onto the motorway heading south to link with the country road, i pulled in front of a Grand Cab and a 458 driving in convoy. They followed me for about 5 miles until i pulled off. So rare to see a Maserati on the road. I have driven all day and never seen another one!

Anyway, will stop rambling. Just had a great couple of days with cars!

x

17. 2fast4us

2fast4us Karting

Sep 5, 2010
    Germany, NRW
    Full Name:
    Rolf
    Hi all,

there are problems with modern antifreeze in old engines. Has anybody experiences and recommendations?

Thank you and happy driving

Rolf

18. Maeter

Maeter Karting

Nov 13, 2001
    Sold for £43,700 including 15% buyer's premium. I saw the car in person, looked go but needs re-commissioning work (and deletion of the tow bar in my opinion!)

Pascal

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #3469 Nembo1777, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
    Thanks Pascal I was hoping someone would go. It looked really good in the photos but that is not always reliable. I assume the funny buttons in place of the ashtray were some sort of stereo equipment?

If you took any photos I would love to see them.

The past few weeks have been pretty intense but:

-Sunday I delivered the book text to my publisher: 156713 words. Almost three times more than my book on the Ferrari breadvan, Rebel rebel. Having started the process in the spring of 2007 it was a surreal moment. I had withdrawal symptoms afterwards now I know what women feel after they give birth:). Now we face weeks of editing correcting the PDF until it is ready for the printer. Photos, archive and recent, static and in motion, were preselected late February. Text is 99% of the work photos is 1% of the work yet we have some very fine photography and unpublished archive photos.

Here again is the link with info on the book.

http://eaurougepublishing.com/books/detail/maserati_the_citroen_years

-We have 25 Khamsins registered to attend KHAMSIN QUARANTA, from all of Europe.

-Yesterday I had a very nice phone call: "Hello this is Mrs Gandini we can come after all" so Marcello Gandini designer of the Khamsin will be there, from Friday late afternoon to Sunday morning.

-MM Ermanno Cozza (whose 60 years working at Maserati were celebrated last October) and Fabio Collina will be there all weekend representing Maserati Classiche.

-They will judge the cars in the Concours. The top awards will be as follows: best preservation, best restoration and best of show. The winners of these three awards will receive a formal parchment document from the factory as well as their Concours award from us.

-Other awards, les important ones but still a nice touch, will be ladies choice and greatest distance traveled. Since our friend from Tehran could not make it this award is likely to go to one of our Norwegian friends but I have to do my due dilligence on which one actually lives the furthest from the event HQ!

best regards,

Marc

20. MrGrigio

MrGrigio Formula 3

Dec 19, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Rennie Stein
    Even though I'm a Ferrari owner, I have a real soft spot for the Citroen era Maseratis. A real soft spot. I will certainly be buying your book and hope some time in the not to distant future purchase a Khamsin (sadly, I missed out on the blue one for sale in Melbourne). Although a cliche in the classic car world, these Maseratis were certainly ahead of their time. I frequently read the posts on this thread and wholeheartedly agree that the Khamsin is one of the most avant garde front engine designs of all time and my personal favourite.

Thankyou for all your hard work in preserving and telling the history of these magnificent machines.

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well thank you for your kind words which mean a lot. As you know these cars never got the coverage they deserved and I hope I have in part corrected that.

This thread is wonderful because it has given a voice and impetus to these cars and in a very international way without conflict or any negativity.

best regards,

Marc

22. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    Marc

Desperate to see the book. Sent in advance notification to publishers.

Paul

23. helmut1014

helmut1014 Rookie

May 11, 2008
    John,

have a look at Dirk Sassen #5541

http://www.ds-sassen.de/c_katalog.htm

Regards, Helmut

24. gopp

gopp Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Marius Sorteberg
    Hi Marc,

According to Google Maps, the distance to Dijon from my home is 1887 kms, but Stein only has 1881 kms. This is if we are driving the whole way down, using the bridge between Malmø in Sweden and Copenhagen in Denmark. Mrs. Sorteberg and I don't plan to cheat using trailer, ferry, train or any other transportation than 008, so we thrust the car can do what it was built for.

It was great news that my hero Marcello Gandini said he will show up!

Best regards
    Marius

25. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    I am only 1600km away so I wouldn't win if i came! sob.

mind you the difference between 1887 and 1881 could be open to interpretation!

How much is to use th bridge at Malmo to Copenhagen with a car? Have friends living in Malmo and one works in Copenhagen and goes across by train every day. Would love to drive the bridge and the scary tunnel going into the sea at the end! Is it 40km?

Paul
    Scotland