1995 Porsche 928GTS | Page 5 | FerrariChat

1995 Porsche 928GTS

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by calder1, Jan 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emcauto

emcauto Karting

Jul 1, 2009
    #101 emcauto, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
    Highest MSRP total was $171 000

Could not post sheet due to copyright to 928 Registry . Check Rennlist forums its there!

2. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
  3. Not anything alike, but both neat. That's a Super Duty T/A. The big dog version. A high watermark, not your typical Trans Am. This 95 928 that's got everyone's attention is a rare car as well. A couple years older, and not so rare or expensive. This year, well yes it's rare. What you find in cars (or anything for that matter), if you watch enough, is that certain versions sell for prices that don't make sense. That is until you learn why. One guy can't make the market.

4. chuck z

chuck z Rookie

Jan 23, 2006
    #104 chuck z, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ....since it's my website, I'll post for you (you'll have to follow the link to see the build sheet). This car was known as the "Linton" car; it was the last name of the guy who originally spec'd this car and didn't take b/c it turly wasn't going to be the last GTS built. It was 2nd to the last, the factory built another after this one.....:

http://www.928registry.org/1995-928/1995-928GTS-Pearlglanz.htm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. amstokesdb9

amstokesdb9 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2009
    Arlington
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    This whole uproar over this car's valuation seems ridiculous. It seems obvious now after seeing what people will pay for cars in auctions and the like, that a car is worth what people will pay. Also, people are always paying a premium for a boyhood dream car, especially when it is a very desirable setup.

The whole "this is 360/456 money" seems narrow minded too since I'm sure there are plenty of 430/458/599/etc owners who love 928s and have no interest in adding a less expensive Ferrari to their stable. You only live once, why make money an issue if money is not an issue?

I wouldn't make this my first 100k car but this would make a great addition to many enthusiasts' collections.

6. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    And no one has made any significant offer from what I gathered there last week. Chances are it will be for sale for a long time, and has someone else posted here it will take someone who wants to recapture some of his boyhood dreams. Like my original post said, they are dreaming with that price.

7. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Albert:

"A fool and his money are soon seperated"!!!

8. drf3576

drf3576 Karting

Dec 25, 2006
    Terre Haute, IN
    Full Name:
    Dane Frauenholz
    I think it goes back to the famous saying....

its only worth that..if you can get that

thats anything out there...

9. rgil627il

rgil627il Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 15, 2012
    +100

10. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    And so can anyone else, hell I can ask an outrageous amount for whatever too but am I going to get it? All depends if they can find a buyer willing to pay that. Doubt it seriously!
    As my original post said, DREAM ON and thats after seeing the car.

11. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wait long enough and a $95k low mile '95 GTS might seem like a bargain that all of us would like to have... Think of 246 Dino's in the...when was it early/mid '80's...you couldn't hardly give them away! Now really nice examples are what $300k? Or did I see $180k??? Either way, it is many, many times more than the car cost new. $95k for a GTS is probably about what it cost new...certainly with taxes and such it was.

The Linton car is an enigma. It has vaporized and if it were to show up again in like new condition (as it was the last time any one around here saw it) that car would command a hell of a high price.

Chuck, I thought a couple more were built after this car. Was it really the 2nd to the last one? I knew Porsche AG took the very last one...

I love 928's! I have paid $41k for a 3 year old GTS with 33k miles on it way back years ago and felt like I got a GREAT deal on it then and frankly I wouldn't part with it for that money today. I have also paid $3750 and $3600 for 2 of my last 3 and they needed work. I'll be in to them for $11k all said an done, but they will look so sweet and so special they will be worth 2X or 3X that to me! One of them ('85 EURO S...guards red with black/red interior) has garnered offers over $15k... REAL OFFERS! The car is amazing! The '78 may well be the earliest auto 928 in the country! #295 EURO car...SO SWEET!

Anyway, there are crazy car nuts everywhere...I lead the 928 pack in that craziness I guess!

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

These cars will never have the cache the lower production 911's do. No matter how much they're pumped. :)

13. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Depends on which 911's you are talking about... Anything that is water cooled drops like a stone in resale value and it depends on which 928's you are looking at... Only 406 GTS's built for the US market. That is pretty rare. Then if you look at Club Sports 13 built for ROW market. Those make most every 911 look common.

Only time will tell... regardless the 928 will be passing the old 911's on the street and race track everyday and probably cost less to maintain in the long run as well. YMMV!

14. Frodo

Frodo Karting

Nov 20, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #115 Frodo, Dec 1, 2012
    Found this thread a little late.
    IMHO the amazing fact about the 928 GTS is NOT that certain low miles cars sell for over
    100 000 dollars, what's really amazing is that a really good example of these fantastic grand tourers can be picked up for as little as 30 000 dollars. At least in Sweden.
    I'm so glad I found a -92 midnight blue/blue car with 53 000 miles. Dreamt of this car as a young boy, now it makes me dream of putting my golf clubs in the back and taking of for a european continental trip..;)
    AND, since Stockholm is crowded with 997s or Astons, this car is a very rare bird and still attracts peoples eyes. A lot of people ask me if it's a new model from Porsche...;)

15. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris

That's a lovely 928 - I think they look great in midnight blue.

16. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    #117 wlanast, Dec 2, 2012
    Tough to get the depth of the color in photos, a beautiful color on the GTS.

Here is one stateside, the owner has an incredible car.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B8dExmf3b8[/ame]

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

wilhoit enterprises has two low mileage examples listed. both in 6 digit range. wilhoit has been in the porsche business and like sloane, only deals in quality examples and gets top dollar.

like it or not guys, the 928 gts is a serious gt (maybe one of the best ever built) and holds its head very high when compared to anything more current.

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The 928 was a great car. But, here in the USA it was the combination of the 308GT4,400 and Mondial coupe of Porsche; unloved and a depreciating monster. Unlike the 911, the 928 is Ferrari-like expensive to work on too.

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

frank,

the "928" is as you describe. this thread however is really to discuss the valuations for the final iteration...the GTS.

the GTS if compared to a 308 would be more akin to a 76, Glass, Dry Sump version.

But, I do understand your thesis.

pcb

20. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    #122 AndrewJM, Dec 15, 2012
  21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Whats wrong with this $14k 928S ? http://www.streetsideclassics.com/sh...-Porsche--928S

22. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    Well, it's actually an S4. The ad has it wrong. Nothing is wrong with it....it's just not quite collector quality, and therefore worth a lot less than a mint GTS.

23. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Lovely sharks, Andrew!