Euro 72 246 gt project Ebay S FL | FerrariChat

Euro 72 246 gt project Ebay S FL

Discussion in '206/246' started by gel69, May 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gel69

gel69 Rookie

Oct 26, 2011
    Bartow FL
    Full Name:
    Gil Laplanche
    hello everyone. I found this listing on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-Other-1972-FERRARI-246-GT-DINO-HARDTOP-CALIFORNIA-CAR-SINCE-1978-2-OWNER-CAR-AMAZING-/330725887836?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4d00cc8f5c
    and have a few questions:
    the vin# 05036 could the Dino gurus of F chat give me some history on this car?
    Seems to have been a Euro car before shipped on this side of the pound.
    What could be considered a fair offer in regard of the work left to be accomplished?
    thanks for your input
    you can PM if others do not want to be bothered

Gil central FL

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    There are a couple of not-too-flattering threads about this dealer in the Florida section.

3. gel69

gel69 Rookie

Oct 26, 2011
    Bartow FL
    Full Name:
    Gil Laplanche
    well I went on the FL section and indeed found the tread about this dealer: it defnitly does not look good thank for the advice.

4. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    i have not been able to download the pics. are they blocked or whats the problem?

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Link to particular thread would be appreciated! Thanks!

6. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    original delivered to Germany
    2012 International Auto Group (Pompano Beach, FL, USA),
    1978 until 2012 Frank Anthony Vizcarra (Richmond, CA, USA),
    1976 until 1977 John DiGiorgio (Sausalito, CA, USA)

7. gel69

gel69 Rookie

Oct 26, 2011
    Bartow FL
    Full Name:
    Gil Laplanche
    many thanks for your answer , at $75K with 9 days to go it is likely going to be out of my league, maybe I 'll trade the family Amilcar for it ;o).....just kidding not a chance!

8. gel69

gel69 Rookie

Oct 26, 2011
    Bartow FL
    Full Name:
    Gil Laplanche
    I realize that I might not have listed this tread into the right section and for that I apologize to whom ever it is disturbing.

9. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Certainly not disturbing me !!

I spoke to the dealer briefly and he didn't have much to say when I asked him questions about the car.

It might make an interesting project but I am looking for more of a driver

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Forgetting about the dealer being a problem or having bad press.....

What is the guess a car like this is worth?

I am not a buyer for it, but knowing how many buyers ARE out there, I am guessing if the dealership equation went away, we would be discussing a SALE price for several weeks at least, assuming the parts are all there.

11. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I think you'd have to go and unpack all the pallets and check everything to even have a clue what it's all worth.
    There is always stuff missing or not as described... and it's fun watching the disturbed look on the salesperson's face as you lay 1000 parts out across their floor. If someone does it, please take photos (of the salesperson).

If reassembled and it's a driver, for fun, let's say $130k (and I'm being generous with that paintwork) and then deduct $10k for the engine and $10k for the gearbox and throw out another $10k for tires, brakes, radiator, hoses, new exhaust etc. because it's all been sitting for years. Don't forget the new badge for the front.
    And then factor in the hassle discount: $90k tops.

But it doesn't really work like that does it?
    The new owner will be unhappy with the paint... and while you're there. Before you know it, it's stripped and up on a rotisserie for a full restoration. The owner now complaining about the high cost of re-chroming and worrying about which breed of mouse to get mousehair from.
    It'll be great. :)

12. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Assuming that the parts are there. The good things about Dino's is that virtually everything is available for them. My concern would be the condition of the heads, block, crank etc. Those are the hardest bit to find. Depends are what you are looking for but it definitely needs work, not for the faint of heart or shallow of pocket. My business partner just finished a concours quality restoration on his and did everything ourselves except for the body and paint and he probably spent $70k everything in. Now his car was bought well so he isn't upside down in it but expect to drop that kind of coin if you want a perfect car.