TR Prices are rising!!! | FerrariChat

TR Prices are rising!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by testarossa717, May 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. testarossa717

testarossa717 Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2007
    NY/NJ
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Take a look on ebay and the Dupont Registry. Some will say these are just "asking prices" but they are going up across the board. When is the last time that you saw TR prices(88.5-91) collectively, in the 70K to 80K;s price range?

I know there will be at least one person that will post an auction price at Manheim of a broken down TR with 120,000 miles that was sold as a parts car and look to make that the rule and not the exception.

2. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    I think I agree about the rise. I don't know if it's quite consistently yet 70/80k, but 60/70 seems to be the new norm while it was 50/60 last year.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    There is only one thing important: will a buyer really pay the expected price .... :)

4. BlackTesta

BlackTesta Karting

Feb 24, 2012
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sebastian Fischer
    An excellent, tlc´d and perfectly maintained car will ALWAYS realise the target price. This is for granted.

BTT: Same situation in Germany...prices are increasing :) and this is exactly what has been predicted. Especially the later cars with cat (like mine) and the early mono specchio will gain worth day by day. The lowest price range we had in Germany was around 45k€ for a car with 40-50k kilometers on clock -> a pure bargain for one of the last 12-cylinder-dinosaur-supercars. Now, a comparable car costs between 50-55k€ :)

5. azmurciev12

azmurciev12 Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    seems like you can't find a really nice 512TR for around $70K. there's nothing for sale nowadays.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  7. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've been hearing from brokers i know that Testarossa prices are on the rise and most expect prices to rise considerably in the next few years. I think this is attributable to the fact that people who coveted these cars when they were young are now reaching the age when the can actually afford them and want to fulfill their child hood dreams.

If I had a dollar for every person who has approached me and said "When I think of Ferrari, I think of this car"

I know all the stuff about the high production volume about these cars. I don't think that is dispositive, they made a TON of american muscle cars, but that didn't stop prices from going through the roof.

Just my .02

8. deangpsx8

deangpsx8 Formula Junior

May 2, 2008
    Melbourne-Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean C
    Testas were only high volume in LHD.
    The low volume RHD cars (approx 480) have been slowly rising for about 4 years.

Testa's were the last rear 12 cyl Ferraris made for many years.
    They were also the fastest production car for many years.
    To me that spells collectable.

My Countachs value has gone through the roof over the years, I expect the TR to do the same.

9. pino40

pino40 Karting

Aug 1, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Joe or Pino or JP
    Well i really hope that they heading to the 70-80k range otherwise my 89TR will be enjoyed for a few more years. For 50-60k my car will be with me for a long, long time and since buyers dodn't compare apples to apples let them buy one for 45-50k and then spend 30k to fix them.

10. azmurciev12

azmurciev12 Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    #10 azmurciev12, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
    i saw this one just now.... http://tinyurl.com/btmyf7h

anybody know the car??? '93 512TR $60K for 30K miles, sounds reasonable unless there is a story.

edit: i wonder what happened to the rear badges???

11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    At this point, I'd put it down to seasonal adjustment. Lets see if the prices hold up heading into the fall. Never sell a sports car in the fall, never buy one in the spring. If you want to make a quick buck, start buying up sports and muscle cars heading into the holidays as people need money for Christmas, then sell them in the spring. I've done this a couple of times and made 15-20%, but usually on lower dollar cars. I would do it every year if I had enough enclosed storage to hold a couple of extra cars, but I barely have room for what I have and renting would eat up the profit.

There's a TR local to me for sale for $40k right now, but I would imagine there are some issues with it.

12. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I've been a TR lurker for years. I've wanted one since 1985. I've ALWAYS been following the market on these cars. I just love them. Prices are going up a little based on my research. They will never be as inexpensive as they were last year. Even though they made a lot of them, I think its a hell of a car for the money and will definately increase in value. My .02

13. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    I don't want to start a whole "10000 TR/512/M isn't that much compared to today's prod number" discussion, but 17000 Modenas, 20000+ 430, and who knows how many 458 will be built!

10000 units doesn't look that bad in comparison, but ok, it's still remains to this day the highest production V12 Ferrari.

Regardless prod numbers, this car is way too iconic to stay where it is in terms of price.

14. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Even by exotic car standards, the Testarossa is BANANAS. Ferrari never has and likely never will make a regular production car so over the top. Its just outrageous and the styling never gets old to me. Add to that the fact that they are iconic, really well built, comfortable, and the last of the Flat 12's, and you have recipe for future collectibility.

Personally, there isn't another Ferrari I rather own.

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #15 UroTrash, May 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    I like the cover!
    John

17. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Maybe, if this is really true (I think it probably is) - the original flying mirror cars like mine will be carried along with the trend.

18. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Carried along, carried along!!!

Are you kidding!

The flying mirror IS going to be the leader of the pack :)

They are relatively rare by TR standards and have the truly iconic single mirror and single lug nut. When I went shopping for a testarossa, it was the ONLY one I would consider.

:)

...but I am not biased or anything ;)

19. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    i noticed this car for sale not too long ago. Shame i'm not in the market at the moment, but it looks like a great deal for someone.

20. testarossa717

testarossa717 Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2007
    NY/NJ
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Here's some food for thought: In October 2005, this thread appeared on Ferrari Chat regarding the Boxers. There was a concerted effort by some members of this forum to drive up prices. While I do not agree with this tatic, I will tell you that the prices of the Boxer exploded at the same time. Coincidence? Maybe. But this type of manipulation can drive up the market tremendously and it does happen to every commodity(coins, gold, cars, stocks etc) at some point in time.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78361

Usually, you see a tremendous parabolic move to the upside, not just a steady climb before the run is over. Think of what happened to exotic cars in 89.

I am not mentioning this because I think this is what is happening to TR's. I am bringing this up to show what can happen when owners decide enough is enough and don't succumb to selling this beautiful iconic car for a firesale price. While I don't believe people should actively list their cars for sale with no intention of selling them just to drive up prices, I inspire those people who are legitimate sellers to take a look at the beauty of the Testarossa and list their price accordingly.

Let this be the start of a new day for this car. :)

21. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    First - thank you, JoeZaff for your words of encouragement on the flying mirror.

Second - I think there is something to the notion behind this thread. For one thing, I follow the Testarossa ads on Hemmings Motor News month by month - have done so for about five years now.

Besides the obvious asking price criteria - something interesting seems to be happening there: There are far less Testarossas (of all types and years) being advertised lately. Where there used to be at least six of them, many times there is only one ad lately.

Does this matter? Well, at one time Cord 810/812 cars were being advertised for $90,000 or so. Suddenly, there were very few ads to sell them. Then, over about a year - they went up to at least $150,000 or more.

Coincidence? Well, the fewer good cars on the market, the higher the price. I think there may be a lot of Testarossa owners (like me) who view cars they bought in the low price era as permanent collectors items and do not really have any intent to let go of them soon.

22. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The most recent results from RM Auctions would confirm that prices on the TRs are moving up, this however has not yet been reflected in the Market Letter.

23. danielc1

danielc1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2008
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cappelle
    Exactly... I think that the owners who bought the car that are not economic stable enough to really affort one, are finaly gone with this crisis... There will always be one for sale for 'cheap' dollars, but in what condition will the car be?... The real fine ones, update, and well kept, will go trough the roof...

24. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I may as well put on the flame suit for saying this - but car for car, (not counting the North American rarity factor) there is no reason to value them any less than a Boxer.

25. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Clearly you're kidding?