New iPad. iOS 5.1. iPhoto. Apple TV. | FerrariChat

New iPad. iOS 5.1. iPhoto. Apple TV.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Etcetera, Mar 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Anyone going to dump their iPad 2 for the new one?

Coverage here for those of you that might have missed it:
    http://www.engadget.com/event/apple-ipad-event-2012

I'll be keeping mine since it's still pretty damned capable. The new screen might be pretty slick, but on 9.7 inch screen, it's kind of lost on me. But then again, the camera from the 4s is kind of also a draw.

New iOS 5.1 update is out. I loaded it, don't notice anything either way, except their image compression doesn't seem nearly as aggressive as before. iOS 5.1 is mostly a bug fix:
    • Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
    • Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
    • Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
    • Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
    • Redesigned Camera app for iPad
    • Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
    • Audio for TV shows and movies on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
    • Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30 second rewind for iPad
    • Updated AT&T network indicator
    • Addresses bugs affecting battery life
    • Fixes an issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls.

iPhoto is up on the app store, and it's a huge value at $5. It's worth it as an alternative upgrade to the built in photo app since it adds the ability to flag photos or flag them as favorites, each of which get stuck into their own album. It also has some pretty slick photo fixing stuff, but I haven't used any of them since I've got Photoshop Touch. They look pretty useful for basic reworking though.

iPhoto also has the ability to create photo journals that you can share via iCloud. I haven't used it, but it looks pretty slick. iPhoto also has the ability to "beam" photos to other iOS devices that have iPhoto installed. Finally, it has some pretty slick new slideshow effects...so very worth the cup of coffee this app costs.

Apple TV. 1080p, sign me up.

2. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I just ordered the new iPad 3... 64gb wifi only. Black with black leather cover. I'm upgrading from the iPad 1 (skipped the 2).

Not sure if I should upgrade my Apple TV. I have the last one and it's "high def" enough for me already. What I'm curious of is if the older ones will get the software upgrade.

3. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Kevin,

I'm thinking about getting the same thing... how do you like it?

Mike

4. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Love it.

To be honest it's not a MASSIVE difference from my original iPad... but I do love the device.

5. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Thanks, Kevin.

Mike

6. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    The screen on the New iPad is a big jump forward. I used a gen 1 and the new ipad back to back and was really astonished at the difference. The new ipad is also remarkably quicker. I love the thing.

Mark

7. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Just bought it tonight... 64 with wifi and 4G.

More to follow!

Mike

8. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    My SO bought a 16gb iPad3 on release day from Best Buy without issue. She did not have a tablet yet. She loves it.

I have an Asus TF Prime. I love it.

Honestly both are great at what they do.

Her screen is surprisingly not that much better than the one on mine. Watching a netflix stream side by side does show some minor improvements on her screen, but the new retina display isn't all its cracked up to be considering mine has a significantly lower resolution iPS display (it is no slouch though) .

Probably the biggest difference (besides whichever ecosystem you pick) is the number and quality of accessories available for the iPad compared to my Asus Prime.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    1.5 k streams are no way to judge the new display. If you are going to pick nits, at least find a way to do so that isn't laughably bad.

10. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

However, while you're correct, isn't this exactly the format most users will watch?

I know I'm not going to burn an uncompressed Blu-Ray to watch on the thing for example.

Seriously - What kind of content *does* highlight what is unquestionably a beautiful display?

Cheers,
    Ian

11. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    High res photos.

12. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Thanks for saying exactly why we made that comparison. I replied to this topic then completely forgot about it as I was extremely busy this weekend.

The vast majority of the users of Tablets in general are not loading up their SD cards with movies encoded in high bitrates. The vast majority will use it to stream videos and content over the Wifi (and/or 4G). Netflix is the de facto standard for image quality when it comes to internet streaming. Therefore, any other comparisons are significantly less meaningful.

Honestly, in every day use, I'm not convinced that the higher res screen of the new iPad is worth the cost of having it.

13. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I absolutely LOVE my new iPad. I upgraded from an iPad 1 and I have to say, the screen was a huge selling point for me. As far as comparison, I can tell you that there is a HUGE difference between the older screens and the retina display. When you put the two side-by-side, not only is the retina display brighter and colors pop out more, the text is much clearer and the edges are razor sharp.

I read a lot of magazines (with the Newsstand app) and books with the Kindle app and now I feel like I have an actual book in front of my face. I find myself using it a lot more than my iPad 1. In addition, the speed of the Verizon LTE is incredible and makes the experience that much more enjoyable.

Kevin

14. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Glad you all have the Apple bug. I dumped Apple. I had a (then new) Iphone 4s-x-y-23-z-2.0 and dumped that brick for my Vertu Constellation Quest--best purchase in my life to date. Vertu knows how to make a good cell phone and spectacular services that come with ownership.