GTO a bit tappety? | FerrariChat

GTO a bit tappety?

Discussion in '612/599' started by AndrewDinCH, Feb 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AndrewDinCH

AndrewDinCH Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    Suffolk coast, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    So I finally got my car UK registered and drove it in minus 3-5 for the first time in maybe 2 1/2 months, about 2 hours going slowly out of London then onto a clear motorway.

The engine sounded a little tappety. I heard the hydraulic lifters may have drained with a period of inactivity but surely a 2 hour drive would resolve this? Or was it because of cold ambient temp?

Can't recall the tappety noise before.

2. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Friend of mines GTO also has the tappet noise but only at idle, after a drive its quiet. I would imagine the oil is correctly rated for low temprature running thus there should not be any tappet noise when driving.

Perhaps Taz can enlighten us because it does seem strange that after a 2 hour drive the noise would still be there.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Andrew, Jacques- Ferrari has been adding snake oil to the cars' (612 and 599) oil here in the States (maybe overseas, too) to quiet the hydraulic lifters on start, but normally the tapping noise recedes pretty quickly once the oil warms and thins and the lifters pump up completely. I would not expect to hear lifter noise after a 2 hour drive, unless one of them is clogged and not pumping up to take up all the clearance. Ticking noises can also be caused by loose intake and exhaust manifolds, so it might be worth having that checked.

4. AndrewDinCH

May 23, 2010
    Suffolk coast, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  5. nepola

nepola Karting

Apr 21, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Full Name:
    John Nepola
    I hear the same thing. I'm not sure why. I'll take into the dealer and ask. It sounds cheesy.

6. giago

giago Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Giago
    Mine has the same problem. Anyone solved it? It only does it when cold. Where do u add the snake oil?

7. giago

giago Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Giago
    also the sound takes a few minutes to go away not seconds

8. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I think he means the additive added to the oil just like my 599.

9. giago

giago Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Giago
    I just took a video; I will upload it soon I just dont know where yet.
    It takes like 3 min for the sound to go away. But what i noticed, is that u can hear the sound in the pilot side, its coming from that side of the cylinders, maybe it can be something else?

10. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Andrew, Giago

I had a similar problem in a different car/Maserati Coupe. Random ticking at cold start that sometimes went away and sometimes did not. Very irritating. 599FXX racing oil, provided by the dealership, took care of it about 98% of the time.
    I hear it once in a while at start up, and it goes away pretty quick.

Not sure if this oil will be appropriate in colder climates. I'm in California.

11. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yeah, PAO additive P/N 232571. TUTELA Professional Sport FYI Booster Oil.

12. AndrewDinCH

May 23, 2010
    Suffolk coast, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for comments. Seems it isn't just me.

My engine has been thoroughly inspected, borescopes the lot. All fine except the tappets which are being replaced. Awaiting an explanation but Ferrari have been very meticulous.

13. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Will be very interesting to see after the tappet replacement if all it quiet.

14. giago

giago Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Giago
    I left car at dealership. Waiting for a response.

15. AndrewDinCH

May 23, 2010
    Suffolk coast, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I got my car back today. Finally. She's running fine, new tappets, no explanations provided (yet)

16. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Glad to hear your GTO is up and running again ;)

17. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I have had this issue with my 2008 599 also. They replaced the tappets/lifters on the left side but it still made the noise. Then, after about one month, they said that Ferrari had a service bulletin of some sort advising to add the oil additive "Tutella" at every oil change. They told me that what I was hearing was "normal" for the 599 and had a former Ferrari engineer speak with me on the phone for about 30' to explain. When I asked why if the engine "noise" was normal they replaced all the lifters on the left side the answer was, to paraphrasae, they did not know of the Ferrari bulletin or advisory. Yet, this lifter change was authorized by the Service Rep for the whole east coast? You mean HE did not know of a Factory directive about noisy lifters?
    The noise starts at about one minute after engine start and quiets down in about 4 minutes. My own personal Tech advisor isolated the noise to the left bank. Ferrari claims that the noise is from a newly designed scavenge oil pump that started on the 2008 model.
    I am not a mechanic so I really do not know what the "truth" is but I will say that the experiance has turned me off from any more Ferrari purchases in the future. I really like the 599 but the overall Ferrari service experiance has been disapointing.

18. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    " I will say that the experiance has turned me off from any more Ferrari purchases in the future. I really like the 599 but the overall Ferrari service experiance has been disapointing."

Its your right to be angry but i would Not go so far

Regards. E[/QUOTE]

19. AndrewDinCH

May 23, 2010
    Suffolk coast, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks M. I had almost forgotten how awesome driving the GTO is. Just spent every day of a sunny weekend out in it. Those whipcrack downshifts :)