Visit to Atlanta Motorsport Park Today!!!! | FerrariChat

Visit to Atlanta Motorsport Park Today!!!!

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Seth Thomas, Mar 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Seth Thomas

Seth Thomas Karting

Jan 25, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Seth Thomas
    #1 Seth Thomas, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can't wait for the Chin Motorsport event at AMP at the end of April. Took the 4.0 out to AMP today for some laps. That track is going to be awesome once they have it finished. The elevation changes alone are worth the visit there. The long carousel leading onto the run onto the front straight is going to fast and one of the most exciting section of track in the US. What is going to be awesome about this track is it combines a lot of technical sections where you have to be patient and tidy with fast sections so you still get a great feel the sensation of speed!

Here is a little screen shot from some in-car footage we shot today. Look for my YouTube link to video later on tonight!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Seth Thomas

Seth Thomas Karting

Jan 25, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Seth Thomas
    Here's the video I promised:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG-Op-4PSnI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  4. Seth Thomas

Seth Thomas Karting

Jan 25, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Seth Thomas
    With the upcoming generation tuned into video games more and more it was an attempt to copy the obstacles associated with these games. Do you think we succeeded? Just kidding.

Seriously the video makes the speed appear faster than it really is. Track is still under construction with the first event, a Chin Motorsports event, scheduled at the end of April. Main purpose of the video was to finally showcase the quality of the track design and elevation changes.

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Looks real nice but i dont get the entire country club track concept. Cost can be weii over $100k membership then annual dues plus fees every time you use track that alone add up to what typical track group charges. Then you miss out on driving other tracks because you just paid so much to join. Id rather just go for the day with nasa, chin, pca, etc. Maybe someone here can explain the rational

Ps awesome car

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think the CC track idea is Fantastic... the usual problem is the $$ to develop the track. I tried a couple of deals like this but just could not make the money work. Once the track is built - they will come! This is not usually for the real racer guy, but more the guys who want a place to drive their car safely at speed, maybe they do 2-3 track events a year with their car club. and or want a place to test close to home. The fees do add up if you dont use the track, but if you are a track rat... it makes huge sense. Hats off to these guys for getting it done!!! I'm amazed that it is paved and has the level of finish so far. We'll definatley bee looking to host a Ferrari track event there ( assuming AMP is ok ) fantastic rival to Road Atlanta!

7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    in my area we have njmp, monticello, and limerock with cc model. i dont think theyre doing that well bc they are constantly renting out the track to outside clubs for extra revenue. membership complains about loosing days to the outsiders but otherwise the dues would go even higher. might be better idea in southern climate since northeast track calender is down for at least 3 months/yr. regardless, im happy more tracks are being built since it gives everyone more options to drive

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    And from what I've seen in person, this is one of Herman Tilke's better track layouts. I think that he used the available elevation changes very well.

9. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Anyone know if FCA is talking to the track owner yet, to set a date? I hear that PCA is, but not sure of the date. Hope they are ready in time for Chin.

10. HWI Motorsports

Feb 1, 2012
    Shrewsbury, MA
    Full Name:
    Morgan Duffy
    I'm a huge fan of the CC tracks as I suck at golf. While Limerock and NJMP have clubs they are still predominantly public tracks where as Monticello no longer offers use by clubs. They did it just long enough to give everyone a taste and then shut us off knowing full well that guys like me would join once we tasted it. I love being able to just show up and drive with so much time and no rushing not to miss my run group.

AMP is awesome and I'm excited that it is just about ready to rock. I had been watching the developement of it and finally went down to tour it with Jeremy Porter last September, that sais I'm a sucker for a great track and ended up joining there as well. If you have the opportunity and have never been make sure to check out both Monticello & AMP. I highly recomend both.

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    How does amp compare to monti?

Ive driven monti about 4 times and didnt love it. Too many carousel type turns and didnt seem particularly safe for a private track either. I like njmp better plus it has 2 tracks whereas the full course at monti is the only worth while one

Coincidentally, i was at road atl for first time last week and it was pretty exciting. Maybe too exciting with 3 cars getting totalled. Amp will hopefully improve on safety

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    AMP is in a different league from Monti in terms of design and topography, IMO.

I like both NJMP tracks, too. I validated the curbing for Thunderbolt and set a track record there!

Only three cars totaled at Road Atlanta? Sounds like a good weekend! ;) Only place I've written off car(s)...

AMP will be MUCH more club-driver friendly...

13. bling5

bling5 Rookie

Mar 11, 2012
    thank you for the fantastic information friends!

14. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Seth- Congrats for holding the AMP track record "whilst avoiding construction equipment". :)

After Chin, what groups have made reservations? I heard PCA was interested. Does FCA have a date?

15. Seth Thomas

Seth Thomas Karting

Jan 25, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Seth Thomas

Thanks Peter! I believe AMP will be leagues above these tracks too. From what I have seen of the track so far it will be a great tracks all around. NJMP is decent but does not have the elevation to match AMP. Also AMP is located in the North Georgia Mountains not a swamp, has a mall close to it for the ladies, and I know a few local spots to get some fresh mountain brew. All pluses in my book.

Also from a drivers perspective AMP is going to be a track where learning the limits of your car can be done without the worry of wadding it up like Road Atlanta. Trust me in that you guys will love the track!

16. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Went and toured AMP today and it is going to be lots of fun once its finished. Combines a lot of the best aspects of several of the other tracks within reasonable driving distance. Technical with lots of elevation changes, fast sweeper onto to a relatively long and fast straight. Very unique cart track there as well, look forward to driving there, Im signed up for a day on May 18th if they are open by then.

17. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I believe the track finally opened this week, has anyone had a hot lap yet or planning on going soon?

18. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Thanks for posting the video! I'm thinking that will be a keeper in the future, and maybe you can splice in some parts where we see the sod rolls and cement trucks into real race footage just to scare people!

19. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    PCA is going to AMP July 14-15. I am going to try to get this on my calendar. Anyone here going ? $300 for PCA members. $350 non-PCA. www.clubregistration.net

Anyone have knowledge of the FCA setting a date for AMP?

20. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I will be there this Friday for the first time, from the videos Ive seen the track looks like it should be pretty challenging. I would certainly attend an FCA event

21. URY914

URY914 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Temple Terrace FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Where is AMP?
    (and don't tell me Atlanta)

22. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    It is located just outside of Dawsonville, GA. Home of NASCAR legend Bill Elliot.

23. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I am signed up for AMP with the PCA in July. www.motorsportsreg.com (i think). open to non-PCA members, but hurry as this new track is getting a lot of interest. There were 60 registrants within 48 hours!!

24. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I had my first taste of AMP this past Friday. Track is very tight/technical with many blind turns. Will definitely reward momentum cars and people with lots of seat time at that particular track. Looking forward to going back. Facilities are still being finished, paddock not paved, no running water at this time. Closest gas station is several miles away so bring gas cans. This will be a great place once it's completed.

25. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Part of AMPs zoning permit places a noise limit of 95dB on each vehicle. They are supposed to be following the 50 ft rule but after talking to many drivers the placement of the measuring device seems to be changing-even during an event. There is also financial incentive for corner workers to measure and catch cars that break the limit.

Balanced Performance has a shop at the track and can install an exhaust baffle that should get you under the limit. Dyno testing has show that the baffle does increase mid range torque but reduces peak horsepower. Cost at the track is roughly $100. Here is a good explanation from an SCCA forum:

The track has a very tough sound rule. MUCH different than the typical SCCA sound. AMP has sound stations all over and you have to stay below sound or they will black flag you on the spot. Some tried to argue this but it’s a track rule based on their compliance to the ordinance they were given to operate. If you don’t like it go home. How tough are they? I popped a 106 on one of their meters in session one running the short course and had to come in. (The infield meter had me at a 98 and the straight away meter a 106) Yes, 106 in an SRF! This was most likely at high RPM in 3rd gear before the shift to 4th on the front straight with the wand feet from the car. We managed to use a sound damping device inside the stinger that shut it up, but also killed HP. It was like stuffing a banana with some offset holes inside your pipe. (It was a “no modification” to the car insert. Just slipped in the top of the stinger and with a small hammer falls back out) Better to run then go home. For me this place is 35 minutes from my house so finding a way to pass their rules is a no brainer. At this point the jury is still out on if its worth any drive knowing the strict sound rules. One of the other SRF’s had a super trap on the end of his stinger and that seemed to work much better and was tunable. None of us had the Enterprises muffler for the car. A complaint was the method used to measure was not always consistent. SCCA using their approved track setup was often overruled with track sound that was much different. They do need to get on the same page but that will come in time.