Replica WW1 Aerodrome | FerrariChat

Replica WW1 Aerodrome

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by snj5, Apr 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #1 snj5, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, my search for an airpark has come up bollocks. With my part time biz in Dayton growing, it was suggested I look at moving the T-28 money once sold into a Dayton "office" and crash pad as the hotel is wearing thin.

So, why not build a small aerodrome of my own and use it for business? Kinda. And, could it be done as a small WW1 aerodrome for my and similar little kites?

Requirements:
    1. main runway axis about 2000 - 2500 feet
    2. some open field to give a crosswind LANDING option. For these planes about 1200 - 1400 feet is way enough.
    3. A period appearing hangar(s)
    4. Small European styled cottage to use for short stays
    5. Station hack vehicle and airplane.
    6. Possible use as a small museum or hangarage for similar antique or replica aircraft.

To date:
    1. Looking at flat pastureland near Xenia Ohio
    2. Looks like 10 acres for single runway and about 21 acres for multiple
    3. Looking at pre-fab wood structures
    4. Looking at small prefab structures for a cottage.
    5. Model T truck as a station hack and bowser with fuel can and transfer pump
    6. Will market during the next WW1 fly in in

Apparantly the FAA is not so much the prob as are the local zoning regulations.

A main inspiration is the restored WW1 airfield Stow Maries

All ideas welcome!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I remember going to the 94th Aero Squadron restaurant in Tampa years ago. Its theme was the French farmhouse with barn converted to an aerodrome. Looking that up this morning I see that the concept appears to be a chain or franchise. You may find some ideas at these locations.

http://94thaerosquadron.signonsandiego.com/
    http://94thaerosquadron.signonsandiego.com/gallery.html
    http://www.94thvannuys.com/94thvannuys/
    http://www.94thmiami.com/94thmiami/

Google images:

http://www.google.com/search?q=94th+aero+squadron&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=mVmJT923N8OC2AXdm_zOCQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQ_AUoAQ&biw=1199&bih=697

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #3 tritone, Apr 14, 2012
  4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    You would NEVER see a Sopwith parked at the Royal Aircraft Factory.
    :)

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Gee Russ, I wish that you had told me about your project! I had an old WW1 fuel bowser and I gave it away just last week. I also just sold a Model T the other day because I didn't have room for it and I tore down an old cottage in the back yard because it had ivy growing all over it. Some lady took the beveled glass windows and oak door. My son-in-law tore down the old barn in his pasture because he couldn't store the old German airplane that was in it . He said he didn't fly so he gave it to some guy who liked the big 6 cylinder engine in it. Well, that's the way it goes, it's " You should have been here last week " all over again.
    Ol' Bob

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I was crying until about the third sentence when I said, wait just a tootin minute....
    :)

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    next you're going to tell me that's an Austin not a Peugeot....

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    A true story. About 35 years ago I corresponded with a fellow about preparing a sailboat painting for him and he mentioned that he had a sort of an aviation museum. He was nosing around in Florida and tracked down a rumor about an old airplane that a guy had in a barn. Heard this before? He located it and opened the old doors to see an intact 1917 Fokker D-7 looking at him. After cleaning the plugs, changing the oil, and checking for leaks, they fueled it and it cranked up with no trouble.

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #9 snj5, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
    you are killin' me

10. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Yellow Springs, OH near Antioch college seems like an approproiate setting, alternately use the original Wright strip next to the WPAFB main entrance - the museum accross the street probably has everything on your list. If your business is USAF related, land at the top of the ski-jump runway and coast up to the museum ;) :D maybe they will work something out with you.

Regards,

Art S.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I wonder if anyone remembers that the hangars on WW1 airfields were covered with canvas, dark and probably waxed, and hung over a wooden frame. Then there were tail skid dollies made from wheels of the airplanes that supported little buckets into which the tail skids were placed so the batmen could move the airplanes about. Ah yes! The days of yore! I have often wondered what the hell yore was.
    Who the hell were batmen? They were the mechanics, called fitters, but where the did the term batmen come from? That is your assignment, Russ, if you are going to do this WW1 thing.
    Ol' Bob

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    A batman (or batwoman) is a soldier or airman assigned to a commissioned officer as a personal servant.

The term is derived from the obsolete bat, "packsaddle" (from French bât, from Old French bast, from Late Latin bastum) + man

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'll bet that you just made that up. Russ.

Another story.The Hood River museum staff saw an ad on line by some one who had an old airplane for sale...in his barn. They investigated it and found a 1917 Curtiss JN4D. All of it was there and in very good shape. They bought it on the spot and when they inspected it they found a maker's plate, a beautiful little cloisonne' badge in the rear cockpit. It had stamped on it "JN4D Ser.1". This has been challenged by some but nobody has proven it to be a fake. I did a painting of the Jenny flying near Mt. Hood but they didn't want after it was finished. It is a pretty nice painting, too.

14. Fullagas

Fullagas Rookie

Jan 31, 2010
    snj5,
    Have you looked at Moraine? www.moraineairpark.com
    Has the atmosphere, and lots of vintage aircraft. Was told Wacos were once made there, not sure...

15. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    I think that they were called Bessoneau Hangers.

Here is a site with lots of information and photos of WW1 buildings etc.

http://www.stowmaries.com/

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Yes - Stow Marie's is fantastic. I am also signed up on their Facebook page.

Right now it is looking like Dayton. Have contacted a realtor. Just for kicks may have an LSA school there with a Champ or something.

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After looking at many not so great candidates for my ever decreasing budget, a possible small piece of land has been located just outside of Dayton. It is in very flat farmland, 1600' x 311'. It has VERY clear approaches on either side (soybean fields), effectively giving the capability of a bit larger field. It has paved road access and is 1/4 mile off major highway exit.

It is currently in corn, which would require some discing, seeding and rolling. Drainage seems good, and the earth is a pretty stiff clay. Have electricity, but would need a well and septic. One side is lined by hardwood trees, and it is fairly closely aligned with prevailing winds

Oddly enough, there are also two other small strips up the same road, one for ultralights and one for a Champ and Pietenpol. Most neighbors are pilots somehow.

Am thinking about a two bay hangar, similar to the common gabled hanger often seen, with two 40' x 40' bays. That would fit the two Sopwiths and any folks that wanted to visit, say during DPR. Might add a small pre-fab as a crash pad if I can find one that looks like a French farmhouse. Any referrals or suggestions here welcome.

My budget has taken a bit of a hit lately, and have to be a bit more modest in my dreams. The land is priced pretty much as farmland, so it seems affordable. It's everything else that adds up so fast. Will start working some details, and still looking for other possibilities.

All advice welcome.

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Oh how I envy you! It sounds like a good start and I wish I could be on the spot to help. So I say GO GO GO.
    SWITCHES

19. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    Have to agree with Bob Parks. Wish I was close by.
    If you have a local pre-fab builder let me see their floor plans and elevations, I could come up with exterior & interior ideas that could give you the French farmhouse look.

Looking around for some other information turned up this site 'wow'

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/

Hit the links page and more super stuff is found!

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I16, thanks for posting this vintage aviator site. It is beautifully done and has wonderful contents. Russ, I hope that you see this.
    Switches

21. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
  22. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

Bugger me senseless !! I grew up less than a mile from there...i probably left motocross tyre tracks in the field...i had no idea it was ever there or the history of it..I was always more of a WW2 nerd anyway..Bradwell Airfield (mosquito's) was the closest one i Knew of ( and where i learned to drive because most of the paved runways and perimeter roads where still intacked)

My Mum still lives less than 30 min away. will have to visit.

Crazy so much Aero history in that part of the country all hidden behind hedges and barns.

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We have a peer group partner in Dayton, OH........

For your runway lighting and other electrical needs...it would be kind of neat to fly over in the dark and remotely trigger a runway lighting scheme out of Star Wars....

Better than a trench of gasoline.....

24. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

It gets better, just looked at the map and location and that is where i used to fly RC planes, when i was a teenager, we called it "Flambirds Farm" which i think is what it may have been called in the war.. I rode by on the school bus every day for 10 years.....small world..Glad someone got it going again.

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #25 snj5, Jan 20, 2013
    We closed on the land on Friday, 12 January. Flying back to San Antonio with the deed in my carry-on. Currently the field, formery in corn is plowed under, is now seeded with winter rye. Lots of work to do. If I can afford it, the hangar will be a smaller replica of an RFC aeroplane twin shed, with two 40' wide bays. Talked to the contractor already.

Here is the little aerodrome last Friday after we closed.