Starting a company in the UK | FerrariChat

Starting a company in the UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Ralph K, May 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ralph K

Ralph K Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2008
    Full Name:
    Ralph
    Hi guys,

I want to start doing business as a sole trader in the UK. I tried registering with Companies House's online service but I only have the option to select partnership type businesses. I have tried to get more info on the website but it is not very clear so I have a couple of questions and I hope some of you here might be able to help.

Do you have to register with companies house as a sole trader?

Are there any restrictions on what type of activities I can as a sole trader?

Cheerss,
    Ralph

2. 458beast

458beast Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2011
    rainy
    Full Name:
    Will
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/startingup/

You have to talk to revenue and customs for tax and register your name, logo and everything along with what type of ownership it is, is it plc, ltd ect ect.

3. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I ran as a sole trader for many years until going to limited a couple of years ago.

Actually starting a sole trader type of business in the UK is really easy, probably one of the easiest countries in the world to do it in.

All you have to do is fill in a form for HMRC. Thats it. You dont need to tell Companies House or anyone else.

4. pride & performance

Feb 16, 2010
    lancashire
    Full Name:
    Nic Payne
    you can also start up and run for 12 months before you need to tell anyone,

then you need to do your first tax return so will need to inform the tax man etc,