458 Warranty | FerrariChat

458 Warranty

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by henryenzo, May 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryenzo

henryenzo Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    I have a 2011. Wish I had the longer warranty of the 2012. I love the car but will not own it out of warranty which is about 18 more months.

Is there a good extended warranty and what is the cost? Thanks.

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    The warrenty can be extended. your sealer can help you with that.

Ehen I bought my 458 I could buy a fourth year at least in Florida.

I wish I could help more

Good luck :)

lee

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The question "is it worth it". Is a tough one. It's a bit like gambling without insurance.

On one hand, you don't worry about it. On the other hand, it's not cheap.

My suggestion is always: if you will drive more and harder because you have the warranty under you as protection: go for it.

If it won't matter to your driving habits and you want to put the cash saved in your own account to spend on the car one day, don't get it.

4. henryenzo

henryenzo Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    Thanks. Does anyone know what pricing is like for the extended waranty?

5. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I have not checked on the Italia, but The Power Warranty was in the $6,000 per year range on the F430.

6. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I think it's now closer to $5K on the 458.

Remember that a warranty -- like any insurance -- is a deal where you pay someone to take a risk you don't want to take. You go into it understanding that the odds are that you will lose money on the deal but you avoid the possibility of losing a LOT of money.

7. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    A question first. I understand the only thing that changed for 2012 was the "service" being paid for not an extended "vehicle" warranty. Did I miss something?

Personally, unlike the 348 or 360, prone to all kinds of issues, the 430 and now 458 are built better and less maintenance intense. I am glad I did not spend $6,000 (of course if something happened, I might be speaking out of the other side of my mouth), because I viewed this as a "probability" issue which "paid off".

What gives you reason to worry about a car you have driven? How long more do you plan to drive it?.

At the end of the day, as with most things ranging from who you want as President to investing in Facebook, much depends on your philosohy and risk tolerance. Best

8. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    The warranty is the same. You're just a year more into it than some others. That said, I'm probably not going past mine either. Due to replace technology there's too much expensive stuff to replace, and so much good stuff on the horizon.

9. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    You are correct. My 2012 coupe came with 7 year free maintenance, upgraded software but the same 3 year warranty as the 2010 and 11's. I would personally get a 4th and even 5th year if I still had the car...but that's just me. IMHO 7 or 8k per year is less than the cost of a real issue out of warranty.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My GF didn't have health insurance for many years.

I bought her a policy as a gift even though she rarely got sick and is in perfect health. She said, well, maybe the money can be used better.

I said, no... your health is more important and I'd feel better if you had it.

Sure enough, she's going to the doctor all the time now that she has insurance. And, her quality of life is much better. She's going to get all sorts of things checked out that she would have shrugged off before. One of them could have been rather serious if it wasn't addressed.

And... I worry less.

Is it expensive? Considering the situation, I think it's a bargain.

11. KINGMONKEY

KINGMONKEY Formula 3

Aug 16, 2008
    San Diego / Roma
    Full Name:
    J K
    I did the power cube warranty it was 5000 it is a good resale bonus if you keep your car 2 years the buyer gets 2 years of warranty.

12. ninja_eli

ninja_eli Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Ali
    Precisely what I was going to articulate. I think many without the warranty will put off resolving issues, especially smaller niggles or electrical issues. What they will escalate to is anyone's guess.

My experience has been that:

a) Ferrari don't/can't always fix an issue under warranty (and here I refer to Ferrari, not just their authorised dealers), so I'd hate to think what it would have cost to try to fix things myself.

b) Lots of issues cropped up that were fixed under warranty on every single Ferrari that I have had. Not one car has been totally fault free and not needing any warranty work. The most reliable though, was my 360 Spider. The 355 was ok, but issues manifested that were not covered under the extended warranty.

The F430 especially has inherent problems, these will never be rectified by the manufacturer. The 458 is probably too early to tell for the owners, but I'm sure authorised dealers may well see some patterns emerging!