Can a leaking 308 oil cooler be repaired? | FerrariChat

Can a leaking 308 oil cooler be repaired?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jm3, Mar 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Or should I throw down for a new one?
    I understand this is not uncommon.

Jay

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I would say any decent radiator shop can fix the oil cooler MUCH CHEAPER than getting a new one. Just tell them it's for a Fiat or something, not a Ferrari.

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Ditto, just look up a truck radiator rebuilder.
    Just as good(actually probably higher quality work) altho likely a bit more $$ would be a company that rebuilds aircraft radiators & oil coolers.

4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #4 Peter, Mar 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I dont know if its the same as the 328 but last year my cooler was leaking,so i took it to COOLEX in Derby in the UK. They told me they were reluctant to try to fix it and garante it, becourse they were hard to fix. I took it to Shiltec Ferrari whos rad guy said the same,so i had to buy a custum made one becourse Ferrari had no stocks in the uk. I see that people say fixing them can be done but this is what my expereance was of the oil cooler.

6. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
  7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have never been able to find anybody locally who would agree to fixing an oil radiator. Coolant radiator, yes, but not oil coolers. I always ended up having to buy a new one.

8. andy2175m4@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy Rein
    if the oil cooler is aluminum the only option is to try to use epoxy. It will work sometimes but it depends on the location of the leak.

aluminum is almost impossible to weld or solder when it's really thin like a radiator.

back in the day, radiators were made of things like brass and copper and could be easily repaired using solder, but now radiators are using plastic tanks and aluminum fins and tubes, so if an epoxy repair will not hold, replacement is the only option.

I would suggest if you are going to go the custom route, get it made from brass and/or copper so it can be repaired if that time comes again.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    david's radiator wilmington california

10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #11 robertgarven, May 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Freinds,

I send my radiator to a high end aircraft shop in Los Angeles , Pacific Oil Cooler Service Inc., who are very cool, and I cannot believe they would even look at my cooler but they are a great and the gentleman I talked to was very kind. They are not sure they can repair it but here is a pic of the leak. The GT one is nice but since my shroud will not fit it I am looking for a used shroud to modify. If anyone knows of some one parting out a GT4 let me know. I almost bought another Ferrari oil cooler to see if it would fit and Daniel is looking for one. It seems the original 106965 was replaced by 145712 which was replaced by the GT Car Part one 114734. And as it seems over the evolution of the part it changed jeu enough not to fit.

For those of you who are interested the GT4 had the same il cooler through its life 106965 however sometime between 1975 and 1979 when the shroud part 107131 was exhausted it was replaced by a shroud 107891 which did NOT have the winter cooling flap. I got an email fro Superformance saying that all they had was the original cooler and it should work but the pic on their site is very different from my OEM. here is a pic of the leak and Superformance cooler...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Robert; Ferrari UK stocks the very same cooler.
    And it fits: I have one on my GTB. The only necessary thing was a slight modification on the duct, because the distance between the fittings is different ( smaller ). I don't know, whether this is also necessary on the GT, but I think so.
    The manufacturer of these coolers is AKG. Formerly founded in Germany, they are now over the world today.

http://www.akg-of-america.com/

Best Regards from Germany

Martin