Monaco Historics 2012 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Monaco Historics 2012

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Onebugatti, May 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Kind thanks for posting your experiences and insight sir.

2. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Actually, his near-fatal accident at Imola in 1998 was in a 375 Indianapolis single seater, the ex-Hal Keck 'Grant Piston Ring' Special (Chassis No. 2), which currently resides in the Louwman 'National Automobiel' Museum in the Netherlands.

3. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ok, then I mixed it as he also crashed the P3. Seems that he had crashed everything.....!
    But now he luuuves Porsches! Hope this cars survive......

4. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    It's one thing to damage a beautiful car and yourself. It's quite another to put others, both drivers,cars and spectators at risk.This person should be banned from further events. tongascrew

5. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Post # 54 please!!!! tongascrew

6. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Walter,

I don't think C.M. has ever owned an Alfa P3.

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Can`t agree more!

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I know someone who drove in that race where he crashed a P3. He told me the story.

However, I have witnessed several incidents of him in with his Ferraris.

9. Thomas Quintin

Thomas Quintin Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Paris France
    Full Name:
    Thomas QUINTIN
    Hi Walter,
    If the accident was at Imola in 1998, I think his crash was with his 375 F1, not a P3.
    Thomas

10. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    When i was a kid in OZ,your father and W.Green and Bamford were my historic racing heros,even now I read the old mags with the race results and stories of the cars.

11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Thank you for your post! Great to have the (realistic, and balanced) viewpoint of someone who has "been there and done that".

Tritone

12. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    It can be dangerous enough to be discouraged, yes...

On the other hand:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF9WowqwB2w[/ame]

13. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    #63 DAYTONASME, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
    ------------

Mr Corner...thanks very much for posting..

We are of comparable age, and I can honestly say my passion for historic racing was cemented by watching your Dad and several of his friends, the late Patrick Lindsay, Charles Lucas, Willie Green, John Harper, Barrie Williams and Gerry Marshall.... amongst many others; racing hard, but fair...without rollover bars, trick Bristol engines, or LSD's in pre-war ERA's.

Ironically, as recently as last Saturday, (in the Credit Suisse Drivers Club at the Monaco Historic GP), another founding father of the HGPCA (Historic Grand Prix Cars Association), Alain De Cadenet, made reference to your Dad, and his rear of the grid, to first place win at the Historic race, ahead of the 1979 Monaco GP, in his Mercedes W125.The global "historic" movement owes all of those above a debt of gratitude for "shaping" the rich variety of motorsport we enjoy today.

You will appreciate this image, recognising your own helmet design....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Maserati_250_F,_Bj._1957_(1977-08-14)_S%C3%BCdkehre.jpg

I feel your own accident, and that more recently of Carlos Monteverde, may have done much to highlight the concerns of some within the "Historic" movement, and encourage an element of the pre 60 Grand Prix and sports car fraternity, to install rollover bars....whilst the desire for competition success, has in some cases lead to oversized engines, wider tyres and other trick bits..nothing new in the history of motorsport!!

This is an emotive topic, either side of the Atlantic......replica v original too..I completely understand Jim Glickenhaus's point, but am greatful that Duncan Dayton, Don Orosco and many others regularly travel, at considerable expense, with their cars to both Goodwoods, Silverstone, Spa etc.

I know nowadays your Dad is a "London to Brighton" and Ecurie Ecosse tour regular...could he be persuaded to either put pen to paper about some of his experiences, or be willing to be interviewed?

I'm sure there are many here, who would be keen to hear of some of his car and steam engine collecting, and racing exploits, when 250GTO's, Aston DBR4's and 250F's were just used old race cars.

Ed

14. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    I would like to see anything possible done to get more historic cars on the track, even in a non racing lower speed exibition laps would be worth it. Some of the older owners might enjoy putting in a few laps at 70% of a cars potential, if no danger was involved and only a few cars on the track at the time. Some of the fun is hearing the sound of the old engines and even the smell of the exhausts as well as visual pleasures.

I loved the smell of Castrol in the morning..

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Totally agree!

Historic racing is about having a go but importantly taking home an undamaged car and driver, if you can.
    Pete

16. Wouter Melissen

Wouter Melissen Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Wouter Melissen
    Here is a full 18-shot spread of the 1512 F1 that struggled, gloriously howling, at Monaco: http://bit.ly/Jye8Wl

17. 430 scuderia

430 scuderia Guest

Jun 10, 2008
    Thanks for posting these amazing pictures.

Best

18. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    HAH! That conjures up the image of the time Bamford turned us over to "his" driver, Willie Green, for entertainment. Out in the country-side, I was riding with Willie and Chuck Queener (an excellent driver himself) was following us. When Willie realized that we had lost Chuck, Willie said, "We'll just park here and wait". I didn't know what he meant by "park". We were at a round-about, in the rain, and Willie just put it into a drift. We must have made a dozen sideways circuits of the round-about before Chuck appeared on the scene. Don't tell anyone, but I had marks on my hands for two days from gripping the bottom of the seat, while trying to look cool.

19. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Love the shot of the BRM piddling coolant onto the track. The reality of historic racing is that you often find yourself following beautifully restored and presented cars that are in ordinary mechanical fettle, with the drivers blissfully unaware of the slippery mess they are leaving behind them.

20. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
  21. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    #72 DAYTONASME, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  22. Alan Cox

Alan Cox Rookie

May 7, 2012
    Cheshire, England
    Full Name:
    Alan Cox
  23. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    That was quite a trip. As I recall you did three laps of the round-about and the color in your rosey cheeks had disappeared. Great fun. When we got to Willie's shop and saw the Lancia/Ferrari D50 V8s and the two-cylinder motor Anthony had just bought from Ferrari knocked me out. Anthony had given me his GTO (4399 GT) to drive and I used it for the reference for illustration of a '64 GTO print in Jess Pourret's book. Those were the days.