355 code reader error | FerrariChat

355 code reader error

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Strider Rider, Jun 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Strider Rider

Strider Rider Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    Hello,
    I have a 97 F355 and just got a Check Engine light. I plugged in my ODBII reader, it wouldn't read and displays ERROR. I went to check the wiring to ensure that the connections from the plug to the ECU are all good. I have the workshop manual but it doesn't show the plug or even where the ECU lives.

Any hints or previous experience with a similar problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

You need to take your car to a Ferrari dealer for the FREE factory campaign (recall) in order to get the regular OBD reader to read it. Ferrari ****ed up and didn't put a ground wire on the plug that was supposed to be there by federal mandate.

:)

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #3 f355spider, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here it is, basically Ferrari omitted a ground pin, which was in violation of federal regulation related to the OBDII standards. With the pin in place, any OBDII compliant scan tool will work just fine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The above post is true, but before you dig through maintenance records or take it to the dealer make sure that when your trying to read the code that you have your alarm off (light not blinking) with they key fob. If the immobilizer is on then the reader won't work.

5. MManzonelli

MManzonelli Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Columbia, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Manzonelli
    +1

6. Strider Rider

Strider Rider Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    Hi,

Thanks for your responses. I have confirmed the modification is already done. No obvious wire breakage or damage at the connector. I have tried using the reader with the engine running and just the key on (alarm disarmed). I know the reader works, because I tested it on my other vehicles.

Any idea where the actual unit lives?

Thanks!

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Check your fuses to see if any of them are blown.

8. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The ECU itself is behind the leather panel behind the passenger seat, 4 screws and you are looking at it. But there is not an OBDII port on the ECU, all you can really do is look at it. I would try a different reader, I had an orange one, Actron I think, that would not work on the 355 but another brand did.

9. MManzonelli

MManzonelli Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Columbia, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Manzonelli
    Funny.....I have an Actron CP9145 (old) and it works well on my 1997 F355 Spider....

10. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    I would reconfirm, it should work ok. Just because the dealer said it was done, does not necessarily mean it was actually done or tested with a non-Ferrari scanner afterward.

Maybe borrow another from someone, try that too?

11. Strider Rider

Strider Rider Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    It appears that not all readers are created equal. Borrowed a different reader from the neighbor and ta-dah... a couple of cat heater codes came up. reset it and all is well. May have been a a minor glitch that tripped the codes. I will monitor it.

Both code readers were the Innova brand, his was a higher model (I forget exactly which) mine is a 3030 model. So much for universal code readers...

Anyway, thanks for all your posts!!

Cheers.