US GP in Austin Discussion and Speculation... | Page 175 | FerrariChat

US GP in Austin Discussion and Speculation...

Discussion in 'F1' started by Simon^2, Jul 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Now that Austin is on the official FIA calendar, will the race really happen?

1. Yes, it will happen.

2. No, no way for construction to finish.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. iamthesimpleone

iamthesimpleone Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Ben
    http://austin.culturemap.com/newsdetail/06-07-12-17-04-austins-grand-prix-lawsuit-settled-race-day-drama-averted/

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/racing/entries/2012/06/09/austins_f1_track_gets_inspecti.html?cxntfid=blogs_formula_austin

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-mario-andretti-joins-cota-as-official-ambassador/

:)

2. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    While the Austin, Texas F1 venue will be an awesome experience I was wondering what the Night Life will be like on Friday & Saturday night.

Sure there will be lost of local Texas talent in the area but, I was thinking more on the sounds of Trance/Electro/House in some of Austin Club Scene; (Haven, Kingdom & Lanai, Etc… you know something along the line of DJ’s: DAVID GUETTA, ARMIN VAN BUUREN, TIESTO).

Ciao,

SRR

3. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Do a web search of 'The Austin Chronicle', they usually have a detailed listing of what is happening in the city and the types of music being played in the various venues.

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Aswell there is always something going on in Austin regardless of the day/night. I'm simply building a list of the burger/trucks and barbq joints I will want to hit.

5. iamthesimpleone

iamthesimpleone Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Ben
    The best bbq in Austin, is in Lockhart :)

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Or Luling....:rolleyes:

Just kidding, although I was sad to see the Rib Shack closed, on South Lamar at Bluebonnet.....

7. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Just spoke to a lawyer in Dallas. He said that a friend of his who practices construction law said that the contractor has openly told everyone in sight that the track will not be ready on time.

I have no way to validate this, but it comes from a reliable source.

8. hookem

hookem Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Nigel Tufnel
    I think Franklin's and JMueller here in Austin are rated about as good as anything in Lockhart right now. And if you want ambience, there is the classic Salt Lick.

Of course, if you must do the BBQ purist thing, then add Luling, Llano, and Taylor to your trip as well as Lockhart!

9. hookem

hookem Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Nigel Tufnel
  10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Heck I'm gonna just wait on purchasing a ticket until there is concrete evidence and knowledge that the race is a go.

11. RatherBNarizona

Jan 19, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ryan McAbee
    Not a Ferrari owner here, just a fan and a lurker (well... and a photographer).
    My friend and I (both out of college...and broke) are going for the general admission. We are low on finances, but both wish to attend an F1 race in our lives, and figured why not now? Get busy living or get busy dying. Like I said money is an issue for us, so flying is out (already looked into trains as well). We plan on making the 15 hour drive from Phoenix for the weekend. Any help or advice would be appreciated (place to stay, transportation, etc.). While we cannot thank you with a check, we are well mannered and give plenty of hugs and thank you's. :)

Thanks for reading.
    -Ryan

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Read the two previous post before you do anything as far as purchasing tickets.

13. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Snow's BBQ in Lexington. I like everything about it. Driven the 550 out there a coupla times.

14. lee2375

lee2375 Rookie

Dec 9, 2007
    Dallas TX
    not down with luling? the city market has the best sausage i've ever had!!!!!

15. lee2375

lee2375 Rookie

Dec 9, 2007
    Dallas TX
    i'm in turn 12 row 28......looks a lot of folks in turn 12 also!!!!

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We'll need help with crowd control at my party, check in closer to the event and we'll get you covered......

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They are indeed, recent cover story in Texas Monthly.
    Sell out daily, apparently........

18. RatherBNarizona

Jan 19, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ryan McAbee
    Thank you! Will do!

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    If I am with HCSO and can make the race etc etc I can help also, I can go in uniform.

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Just a "SECURITY" t shirt will be fine....:D :D :D

Just going to have to fence the perimeter, once the live music starts.

They thought our Bachelor Party on Saint Patrick's Day was a SXSW event! LOL!

Understandable, but Ray Wylie Hubbard was actually at Lucy's Chicken, next door to the south

21. hookem

hookem Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Nigel Tufnel
  22. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #4372 WJHMH, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was there this morning, the long range shots where a high point of the shoulder of the toll road. FYI be sure to stop by Wild Bubba's if you're in the area. They can provide great food, cold beer, & lots of helpful information about the track. I was told there will be tours given every Saturday, I missed my chance yesterday due to the F1 Expo going on at the convention center.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was originally planning to go with my buddy just for the Sat/Sun events. The plan was basically to camp there and get together with the various other fans camping from all over the world, so we could have a blast.
    However my wife expressed great interest and said that we should go as a family with the kids. Since my kids are 2 and 6 and are monkeys who could not stand still for more than 5min., basically the ONLY option for me is GA tickets. I have to say that I really had a blast with GA tickets at Indy in the past years, so it does not bug me.
    Then my wife came up with the idea to make the whole thing like an adventure and we started looking into renting a RV. I looked at some and they are really nice and offer a good alternative for affordable travel/sleeping/food package, that also gives you a great flexibility as far as changing plans in the last minute, which is almost inevitable when women or children are involved.
    I need a little help tho with some advice and tips.
    I have never been in an RV, let alone operated one. I understand it is not all that hard and I consider myself pretty "hands on person", but I am sure that there are "tricks" that I could use.
    Also I am told that because we are talking about November, the RVs get winterized, which means all their fluids are drained and the pipes flushed with antifreeze. I was told that these is the practice after the first of November even in Dallas. I never thought what the weather is like in Texas in November, but always thought, they would not schedule a race when they expected snow or subzero temperatures.
    So could anyone provide any info about and/or guidance about RVs, going to the race in one, local RV parking situation and some insight on the weather in that part of the country in mid November?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA

Michael

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Lol @ Tilke. And the RV idea sounds legit. I think I'm just going to snag some GA tickets myself, maybe sleep in my car or depending on the parking situation, a tent. Chances are I'll be drunk as hell anyway so falling asleep won't be an issue. Looking forward to it.

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My older brother "the banker' was offering me an RV off the ranch, the thing to remember is, first of all...they are HUGE! I dunno of a special license is required but most take some time behind the wheel to get used to!

You saw my posts on the B&Bs of New Braunsfels??
    The kids have huge fun in the river there....(late season though, Novemebr)

November weather is going to be a coin toss, WAY up in the air!

Anything from a late hurricane (season ends in October) to an early cold front to a late Indian Summer where they girls can go topless. Wait that was The Bog.

Anyway, there are tons of rental places and flying in a pick up can be co ordinated.

Our member barnyard has offered parking..or, I need to inquire how much "adjacent lots" we can legitimately use from the shopping centers across from my F1 Party.
    The Italian place across the street could hold two or three.....