F430 shifting problem, throttle issue? | FerrariChat

F430 shifting problem, throttle issue?

Discussion in '360/430' started by masar, Jun 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    Hi everyone, i am back after some time :). Anyone have experience with this problem on F430? After some driving engine light comes on + suspension light comes on and car does not shift any gear. Basically its blocked, looks like its in some emergency mode. We have Bosch diagnostics so if we connect, we get P2140 code. According Bosch manual, P2140 code should be some throttle problem. If we cancel code, all is fine and car runs normally. But after some time, we face same problem...

2. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    #2 Trent, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My docs dont have P2140. I show P1465-1469 for TPS issues, maybe others as well. But I surely dont have all of the codes.

Google does show: Generic OBD Error Code Details for P2140 : Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "E" / "F" Voltage Correlation

If you have a good OBD2 reader it will be able to show you the freeze frame of the main stats when the code was thrown. One of those stats is the TPS value. This is a decoded value from the two pots in the pedal assembly, so it might not help. i.e. if one pot is showing an erroneous value, the ECU might use the other one, and throw a code, thus the OBD2 reader is getting values from the ECU's interpretation of the TPS sensors, and could mask the issue inadvertently.

My reader does this: Innova 3130 (may not be of help)

I would have to recommend starting by checking the pedal assembly harness, maybe clean it. Then you could bench test it. Or maybe just replace it and see if the problem goes away . The Accelerator Pedal Assembly is $574 at our friends and sponsor http://www.ricambiamerica.com/

I have not removed my Pedal Assembly, but have seen someone do it in 5-10min flat.

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=112015
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    That is not a throttle problem. Your motorised throttles will not even operate if there is a fault with the TPS. Each throttle body has a pair and the motronic sees a deviance in either as a "null" and closes the throttle. It could be a CAN issue. You need to take it someone with an sd3 and don't drive it anymore....

4. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Are you sure the P2140 is for the valve POTs (Potentiometer) in the throttle bodies? The generic text shows it is for the pedal POT E/F. There are three POT assemblies in the 430 each with two potentiometers. I believe the pedal mechanism also has a OFF/ON switch as well (guessing from, the number of wires, could be wrong).

Pedal - [POT A, POT B, Maybe Binary Switch C)
    Throttle Body L - [POT A, POT B]
    Throttle Body R - [POT A, POT B]

From the 430 error codes doc it would seem that there are a plethora of CE codes for all assembles involved, many more for the Throttle Bodies than the Pedal.

1179-1197, 1467, 1468, ,1469 1291 are all related to motor driven throttle body sensor issues. (except for P1189).

There also seems to be a SD2/3 test for the throttle bodies and their associated POTs. Per diagnostic notes: "Using the Tester, delete the throttle self-learning cycle. Run the self-learning procedure. Using the parameters, it checks the throttle for correct opening 0 - 100%. Check of component intactness/electric wiring."

I agree, you may want to take it to the dealer. Is it ok to drive? I would, but I would do a lot of things that would make most people on this board cringe in pain.

5. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    thanks for great support. Our mechanic says its related to throttle valves. I also checked google and found this code for pedal. We need car for weekend but dealer has no time today. So looks like we have to wait... BTW what is "CAN"?

6. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Well, if its the TPS, the pedal sensor or whatever, it's the first time i've heard of that issue cause the supension light to come on, so either you have two seperate faults or it's a CAN issue. CAN is the means by which the various systems on the car communicate with one another. A few years back i had an issue with an ABS modulator on a 430 that bought the CAN down and it lost throttles, though obviously that bought the ABS light up, not the suspension. AS the other poster suggested, try cleaning the terminals at the pedal sensor, these are problematic on 360, less so on 430. The throttle's themselves have proved very reliable so it's less likely to be a fault at that end.
    It's also worth checking into the F1 system (although A Bosch tester won't do this) as if there is a fault in the TCU it can cause the throttles to shut down in some cases.

mike32 likes this.
  7. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    We tested today that accelerator pedal potentiometer and it says there is fault and something is wrong. So it looks like this potentiometer is the problem. We cleaned everything including terminals and we will see what will happen, however i believe now, we have to change te potentiomer.

thanks again for help. i will let you know later what was the real problem.

8. Zanfi

Zanfi Rookie

Jun 14, 2016
    So was it the throttle potentiometer? I am having the same problem with a customer car.

Hutch526 likes this.
  9. c928jon

c928jon Rookie

May 25, 2010
    Did anyone get a solution to this? I’m in the same place myself!