Lombard | FerrariChat

Lombard

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Irishman, Jun 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Okay strange question but anyone have an idea what the percentage grade is on the west side of Lombard?

When riding east I find the steep section on that end more interesting than the crooked section :):).

Will be leading a group in a few weeks on Harleys with wives. Last time I let them off the hook and took an easy way to the crooked section. This time I am thinking about taking them all the way.

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I don't know whether this is Lombard or another street close by and parallel to it but this should give you some idea how steep it is.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Rosso

Rosso Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I believe the curved section of Lombard is ~18%. Filbert st between Hyde and Leavenworth, nearby, is apparently a whopping 31% though! Best of luck!

4. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    22nd Street between Vicksburg and Church is slightly more than 31% according to Wikipedia, and is I believe quite a bit longer than Filbert to boot. Add in a sharp crest and a crazy view, and you'll scare the crap out of most any Southerner, even going slow. A film crew once filmed about 500,000 super-balls of various sizes bouncing down 22nd with high-speed cameras. Another crew shot mountain-bikers doing crazy long jumps off the crest, as there is a nice steep drop from Sanchez. Good entertainment as a kid. Can't forget about the big earthquake of '89, our no-side-yard city houses were slapping together like a seal's flippers, no kidding.

I grew up on 22nd a block from the 22nd hill, and rolled plenty of pumpkins down that sucker on October 31st over the years. My dad also used to illegally drive my brother and I up the 22nd St. hill in his 79 911sc when I was 4 (very, very unwise). That combined with a 130 mph run in the Alameda tunnel (also when I was 4) is what sparked the interest which resulted in car posters all over my room, then a 911, and now a 355. Want a faster car, honestly. Sorry for the nostalgia-laced divergence. :)

Vermont St. near 20th is actually the curviest street in SF, but it's really ugly compared to Lombard, covered in acorns, definitely not brick-paved and certainly not lined with multi-million dollar homes. I ran it in my 911 once and it was too tight to have any fun, but a Lotus Elise would be a blast. The best part is there is literally never anyone there to crash into!