Stay away from Gated 599 GTB.... walk away... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Stay away from Gated 599 GTB.... walk away...

Discussion in '612/599' started by F1 MONZA, Jun 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    this thread has been removed....

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ?? :confused:

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think the big takeaway from this thread is, if you think you want a manual 599, test drive it first! Ideally somewhere with some hills.

4. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010

EXACTLY This thread has turned into a Manual VS F1 debate and from what I have read the OP likes both but NOT the manual in the 599!!! Why is that so hard for anyone to understand?????
    I also diagree with the fact that so few manual/gated 599s were made because Ferrari was/ is/ has steered itself away from gated cars.Its some of the reason but the other is there was NO demand for it especially in the 599!!!!! The few that were made proved that it was not a fesible tranny IN THE 599. How many times does it have to be stated that the 599 was designed around the F1 system? There is a story/article written in Forza where the test driver even agrees.....
    I just cant see why there is so much arguments over the 599s tranny....I say like others test drive one before getting it but there should be NO comprimise in a 300K car with ANY of its systems..I cant believe from all the stories I have read about the CGT with its on and off clutch,thats just crazy in ANY vehicle let alone a 500K one..sheesh..
    Will the gated 599 be worth more down the line because of its (rare)gearbox,who knows but dont buy one for that reason or just because your a die-hard who thinks a proper Ferrari has to have it..

5. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #80 werewolf, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
    Not hard to understand at all. What's difficult to understand, is why the OP has avoided answering some honest, sincere questions regarding his experience ...
    Correct. Low demand for a manual in the 599. Perfectly in line with the decreasing demand for manual gearboxes in the 360, 430 ... and perfectly consistent with the simple observation that Ferrari no longer offers manual transmissions in any of their cars. I don't think it's because Ferrari can't make good manual transmission drivetrains ...
    Incorrect. The very favorable reviews from other owners here on Fchat demonstrates, clearly, that the manual trans is very feasible in the 599. Just not for everyone's tastes.
    It can be "stated" many times, but the statement is meaningless without details ... details that were asked for earlier, but still remain absent. What exactly are the technical aspects of a single-clutch (SCT) drive-train that favor an electro/hydraulic activation of the clutch on pull-out, but dis-favor a user-modulation of a pedal/hydraulic activation?? I know of no such technical details, and given my personal experience with the car, i doubt they exist.
    To each their own, I absolutely agree. The problem is the extrapolation from a bad experience to the suggestion that the design or machine itself is somehow flawed. That's simply not the case.

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Incorrect -
    If you go to the 360/430 board and pose the question - you'll see that the 3 pedal cars are already commanding a PREMIUM on resale. More people want 'em than supply. Demand will ever increase over time as F-car makes fewer and fewer.
    Rgds,
    Vincenzo

7. RDI

RDI Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    #83 RDI, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
    haha +1000

And mayor even if you did get offended? (which is hard to imagine how you did?) nobody cares about what YOU think, this is F-CHAT bro, not Mayorchat. In otherwords you have the right to be offended I guess, but the same right you have to get offended, others on this forum have the same right to not care what you think and not have to listen to you blow a gasket every time someone see's it different than you. Learning to agree to disagree will give you much greater pleasure on this site and you will not always be hostile and looking for trouble with others on this site.

P.s I see you are resorting to calling others trolls again, mayor do you find those comments you make offensive?

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Coming from a troll in the 458 section, I also find this pretty funny.

Go read all my posts here (like 72) and then still laugh.

9. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    No.

My point is that number of manual transmission cars manufactured by Ferrari has been diminishing for the better part of a decade (at least), compared to their F1 counterparts. In the F430, the number of manual transmission cars manufactured was out-paced by the F1 by at least 4:1, maybe as high as 5:1 (that's anecdotal, if anyone has the accurate numbers i'm happy to hear them). Today, it's impossible to purchase a new manual transmission Ferrari.

One can draw two possible conclusions from this trend/data : one, Ferrari's manual drivetrains are ill-conceived junk, and that's why nobody wants them, and that's why so few were being made. Or, two, customers simply want the latest technology that affords faster upshifts and rev-matched downshifts (with an auto option, to boot!). I support the second conclusion. And that conclusion is unchanged by trading prices on the used market ... as, i suspect, Ferrari's abandoning of the manual transmission altogether will be unchanged by trading prices on the used market.

And i've heard no good reason (nor experienced any good reason) why the gated 599 doesn't fall squarely into this trend ... in fact, the gated 599 is nothing more, nothing less, than the final culmination of this particular march of technology.

10. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    guys, seems to me that both sides of this debate are guilt of "unfounded extrapolations".

Clearly, the gated 599's are not for everyone's tastes. The same can probably be said for any number of Ferrari's, or any number of manual transmission cars. No problem, i say ... to each their own, everyone is equally entitled to their views and opinions :)

But here's where the debate goes astray ...

Those who favor the gated 599's are guilty, sometimes, of considering those who dislike the car to be incompetent morons who can't drive a stick :( that's clearly unfair.

Those who don't favor the gated 599's are guilty, sometimes, of considering the design or machine itself to be horribly or fatally flawed. Clearly, that's unfair ... there's many satisfied owners/drivers of the gated 599. Case in point : the car for sale in post #81 has over 7600 miles on it ... not something easily accomplished with an ill-concevied (or non-feasible) car.

Bottom line : some love the gated 599, others don't. No problem :) and no fair drawing unfounded conclusions ... on either side ... from a simple matter of taste.

11. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Yes the number of manual cars has decreased but I think its clear that most buyer of new Ferrari's want the F1 box, used buyers in some instances want the reverse hence the "demand" for manual cars.

Also for a minute consider this, not all markets conform to the above, here in SA manual F430's are considered much less desireable than the F1 version.

12. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Funny to read this old thread in view of present asking prices for gated cars .... :D

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    :)

14. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Funny how times changes. I bought my manual 612 in 2009 when no one wanted them...

15. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Someone should check the home of the original author of this thread, John "F1 Monza", to make sure he hasn't committed suicide.

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    "Just walk away".. LOL

Can't drive stick is more like it..

edit: I wanted one even then but the $150-180k price was more than I could afford. At $500+ its much much more reasonable.. :(

17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Haha.. He still might prefer that over driving his 599 with a stick....

18. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I don't think it is good prose to bring back an old thread to bang on others, who were in a very situation than today.

Better to start a new thread and just mention how people see things differently over the years.

The sad reality is they probably viewed the cars from a purely enthusiast's perspective back then, instead of a prospector's prospective that seems to be all the rage today. I respect the former more.

Years from now, things may change yet again, and no doubt someone will revive this poor thread to make fun of today's perspectives.

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I hope they change! And I hope they change drastically! Then I can buy one.

Cheap for $90k. :)

20. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
  21. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio
    #97 F.Engineering, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016

Hi at all guys,
    this video i seen some month ago when less gated 599 went to the auctions at crazy prices (crazy for me not for the new owners...),
    i done a comment about this video in chat ....

Please see the video not with excitation but with opened eyes over that the hands pilot do on the stick....
    NOT ONE time that he wanted try to do the 3-2 shift the 2 gear enter ... and he went back to neutral and inserted the 1 gear ...

I have two questions:
    1- why that?
    2- You are sure that you want a car like that for only 500K $?

22. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    He did (once), at about 1:53 :p ;)

23. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    These cars are commanding top dollar purely for their rarity. It has little to do with performance.

24. bigguy225

bigguy225 Rookie

Aug 19, 2009