Mac Book Pro woes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mac Book Pro woes

Discussion in 'Technology' started by schumacherf2006, Jun 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dancmos

dancmos Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dan M.
    Other World Computing. I their URL is www.macsales.com. They have great methods to figure out what you need. You might buy from them, but like earlier posts suggested, check out NewEgg and other sites. RAM is cheap. SSDS are expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. dancmos

dancmos Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dan M.
    Seriously? In the first 2 quarters of 2012, Apple sold nearly 9 million Macs.of those, nearly 6.5 million were Mac laptops. I'm thinking they're not garbage. I have a MacBook Pro and a Windows laptop. There is no comparison.

While Avid is great, it runs around $2400, whereas FinalCut Pro is about $300 and will probably meet his needs. I've used it with RED Epic with great results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yea, I wish I had a red epic :( lol. My video editing is all car reviews. I am not doing any movie producing. I have used imovie with great success besides the errrrr quality downgrading with my HD video shot on my Canon t1i.
    I will say Macs native apps are fantastic but windows I understand a lot better. My Mac experience has not been all positive, mine runs so sluggish at times it's really frustrating, My old custom PC I made back in 03 would not skip a beat the damn thing still works! Lol No need to argue it's apples to oranges.
    If I can get my 3,1 running well I will keep it, I am wanting to upgrade to FC but not willing to put $300 into software quite yet

VIA HTC SUPERSONIC CM7.2

4. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the link. I get home late tonight I will look more in depth

VIA HTC SUPERSONIC CM7.2

5. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    in my mac owning experience, I concluded that is part of the forced obsolescence.
    Not updating the OS is the best way to keep performance, of course newer software versions may not run well

6. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #31 schumacherf2006, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
    I am having a hard time finding the RAM I need to upgrade. In order for me to upgrade to the max 6GIG of ram I need to use two cards one two and one four. So I would have to buy a two GIG stick and a four? I have two banks of memory both are used by one GIG sticks. I have changed RAM in many PC's but not a Mac... oh boy :confused:

I shopped all over the web and cheapest I can find RAM is for $120 is that a fair price? can I use any DDR2 So-Dimm 667mhz ram?

7. CogitoErgoZoom

CogitoErgoZoom Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2012
    Caves of Altamira
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Yes.

Yes, it's a decent price. One World sells the exact kit you need (2GB + 4GB matched) here for $124: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/5300DDR2S6GP/

They even offer a rebate program to buy back your old RAM which you can also check into.

Changing the RAM out is a cinch, assuming you can use a screwdriver and push & pull. ;)

8. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the link. And yes I defiantly can

9. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    RAM is RAM so no need to purchase a device specific. Mfg's will list compatible RAM as a guarantee but staying with mainstream brands & non-fancy (heatsinks for overclocking) typically works just fine.

Of course you are looking at older RAM & probably more $ due to that.
    ex: DDR3 is cheap 6GB for $40 last I upgrade my laptop --6GB is an odd # for memory so may be wortwhile to shoot for 2 4GB sticks