My Ferrari experiment going badly--" Engine Control System Failure" | FerrariChat

My Ferrari experiment going badly--" Engine Control System Failure"

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by henryenzo, Apr 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryenzo

henryenzo Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    Beautiful night so I thought I would take my son out for dinner. Ten miles from home I see "Engine Control System Failure" And " Go to Dealer.". Lovely on a 2011 458 with barely 2000 miles.

THis added to an ac that does not work.

I heretofore always bought American sports cars -- 3 Ford GtS , 9 Vipers nary an issue. Thought I would try Italian. It is a wonderful car, but..........

Anyway, anyone else seen this Engine warning?

2. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    My Ferrari experiences have been positive, give it a chance. By the way I have never owned an American car.

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    That doesn't sound good...

Though I've not heard of others with the same issue. If you can, report back what caused it.

4. whatspeedlimit?

whatspeedlimit? Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    Denver, Colorado
    Is there warranty on the car still? I've heard a few complaints about the electronics....

5. henryenzo

henryenzo Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    Plenty of warranty left

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I had the same light come on my california in my case the car ran fine so i drove it home then plugged my obd11 diagnostic tool into the car cleared the code and it has not come back in 6 months. If you do not have an obd11 diagnostic computer you can buy one for about $100 at an auto parts store. If the car runs poorly then that would be different.. I did the same thing with my buddies 458 ..hope that helps. It takes about 1 minute to plug it in and clear the code.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Prettt cool. Can you do the same for a 430?

8. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Good odds that it's a software glitch and cured by shut off and rebooting. Have not had this in 458 but several times in BMW when it was new. Welcome to the digital world.

9. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Yes, also maniettino failure and edif failure. They think its just a connector

10. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Agree. Software glitches do occur. Have gotten a couple of slippery road warnings but the car drives fine and they go away once the car is restarted. If you're worried you can call your dealer before removing any codes....IMHO.

11. henryenzo

henryenzo Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    Larry . Thanks. Just cleared the codes. Will see if they come back. It is going to dealer next week for ac so they can look at both

12. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Most likely it is a software glitch. The same thing has happened with my GMC Yukon, Mercedes, Lexus and Audi. I have had one warning message on my 458, I think it was e-Diff failure. I shut the engine off and on reboot, the message went away and I haven't seen it since.

As for your AC problem you can search on here and find others like me have had the same problem. Seems that the supplier for the AC slipped Ferrari more than a couple bad compressor valves. They can replace it in a couple days and I have had no issues since.

When it comes to technology, the 458 is probably one of the most advanced vehicles on the planet. It is really amazing that more stuff doesn't go wrong. So far I am very impressed with the quality and dependability of the technology on the 458.

13. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I had three of these 'events' in my BMW X5M, each within the first 5,000 miles and none since (now 22,000 miles). In each case, it gave major alarm signals and in each case the problem was cured by shut down, waiting a minute, and restarting -- just like a PC. The events were recorded by the OBD as "unidentified event" or something to that effect.

It sure got my attention the first time, as did yours. I was also ready to trash the car.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I had this warning once. I restarted the car and it went away. I took it to the dealer and they checked everything and found nothing.

It's the only problem I've had.

15. 612scag

612scag Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2010
    most likely to be a software glitch. Happened once on my 599. Disconnected the battery, reconnected it and the problem went away, never came back. Haven't seen any issues at all yet on my 458. But then, it's only been a month or so!
    612scag

16. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Drove my buddies California for an hour and the exact error message popped 3 times when I accidentally hit the rev limiter. It also cut engine response for about 5 seconds and then proceeded to clear itself up. I've never experienced that in my 458, even if I hit the rev limiter.

17. jacinto jardine

jacinto jardine Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2011
    australia
    Full Name:
    Fly 458
    no issues with mine, have had it since Feb with just under 1,000kms on the clock.

The transmission is gold, car does everything you ask beautifully. that nervousness I used to have on the 430 F1 tranny just doesn't exist anymore.

The 2012 with the software upgrades and extra kick in RACE mode just adds to the enjoyment.

18. fireplace63

fireplace63 Karting

Jun 18, 2011
    My 458 just kicked up the Engine Control System failure message, and it stayed on after restart. I have about 8000 miles on it. Sent the car to dealer and was told it is due to secondary valve excessive carbon built up. Possibly due to lots of start stop city driving. They need to clean up the system. Geeze....

19. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    What's with all the 458 issues?? I love the car but after reading about do many problems I'd be leary of buying one! Ferrari needs to get their act together.

20. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What issues? The car is more reliable than a Benz or a BMW.

21. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Sounds like you need a proper Italian tune!!

22. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Sounds like you need to take it for a long, hard drive.

23. tilomagnet

tilomagnet Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    lol, I'd guess most MBs and BMWs get driven more within one week than most Ferraris in one year. 10000 miles f-car = high mileage f car. Wanna bet what issues might pop up if every 458 got use as daily driver??!!

24. jacinto jardine

jacinto jardine Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2011
    australia
    Full Name:
    Fly 458
    Put simply the 458 is rock solid, it has always given me immense joy to drive and each drive is an occasion.

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

What's funny is the people who post saying it's not a good car don't own one and the people who do own it say it's great.

Which one do you think is more credible?

No one writes on Fchat: I drove my car today and it had no problems! If they did, that's all the posts we would see. Kinda boring when drama is so much more exciting.