458 Spider or Scud + Superamerica? | FerrariChat

458 Spider or Scud + Superamerica?

Discussion in '360/430' started by PorscheGuy, Jul 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

458 Spider or Scud + SuperAmerica

1. Get the 458!

2. Get both the Scud and Superamerica you fool!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PorscheGuy

PorscheGuy Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This is a real choice - curious to hear people's opinions. I own a 2008 Scuderia. Love the car. I miss having a convertible Ferrari so I lust over a 458 spider. Assume for a minute you can have either a 458 spider ordered to your spec or both a used Scuderia and Superamerica. If you factor current depreciation into the picture the combination of the Scud and Superamerica is actually cheaper. The 458 and Scuderia are pretty bulletproof. My research on the 575 says if the top is properly sorted its also pretty good. I considered the idea of a 550 Barchetta but I need a real top. I also considered a Scuderia + 360 or 430 but those just seem too similar. Curious to hear other people's opinions.

2. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I defiantly like the idea of more than one car... But I find when i have more than 1 sports car I tend not to drive HHS other car that I find sub par as often.... That's just me unless if they are both great in their own different ways... The one plus on the 458 is that it will prob be fastest of the bunch it's a new style and warranty... Negatives are depreciation just one car not the raw factor like the scud....

All good problems to have :)

3. scott40

scott40 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Scott
  4. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think the scud and 458 are about the same performance. I haven't owned a 550 or 575 but love the idea of a raw car like a CS or Scud paired with a GT. The appeal of the 458 is its a bit of both. I also like the scud and superamerica because you rarely see them in the wild.

5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #5 of2worlds, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Scud + superamerica. Especially if the superamerica is that Rosso Rubino example registered in Texas some time ago or the Florida example!
    CH
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hot

7. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    here's a smart man.

8. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thought about that. Went to see one. I love it with the top down but not top up. For me some of the lines are broken with the top up. The 458 is a different story. It looks good either way. Yea - VERY subjective and a matter of preference.

Many think the superamerica is a bit off with the top up. I like it both ways.

9. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    I think the best value next to a Scuderia, is a clean 360 Spider with a 6-speed manual transmission. You still have $100k on spare change to get a 3rd car, a 550 Maranello 6-speed manual should complete the group.

As nice and as much as I like the new 458 Spider (Coupe and Cabrio in one car, and same weight as the 458 Italia Coupe when optioned right), the car is overpriced, and the waiting time for a car that will get delivered at the end of the model lifetime, means heavy depreciation once the next Ferrari is out.

10. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Good input Rad...thanks. I would be out of room as there is a GT3 in the garage now. I would have to sell the aero beetle.

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    +1,000,000
    However within your choices, I'd take the 458 - newest and most current technology. Something about having the latest and greatest...
    If I had the Scud and SA, the SA would be a garage queen, but that's just me.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree on the 16 M but I'd find a Barchetta instead of a super america. the Barchetta will go up in value.

13. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Though the 458 would be extremely tempting, especially as you could spec it to your liking, the depreciation of the convertible V8's would keep me away from it. Whereas the 430 Scud and SuperAmerica I think are keepers that won't loose too much value over time.

If it were me, I'd keep the Scuderia and find a gated 575 SA, prefferably with the HGTC pack which most of them seem to be equipped with anyway. That way, you get the best of both worlds:

Hardcore sports coupe / Open-top grand tourer
    Front engine / Mid engine
    8-clyinders / 12-clyinders
    6-speed F1 / 6-speed manual

Both limited production cars produced at the end of their respective model years. While the 458 is "just" the current V8 Spider everyone is raving about until it's replaced in a few years.

Just my opinion.

14. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I agree except finding a manual 575 SA is like spotting bigfoot riding a unicorn.

15. Scude

Scude Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Ferrari
    How bout 2013 Cali & 430C? Haha everday driveable convertable (hard top at that) n if u like raw factor... Track day!

16. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Never been a fan of the California. I think the back of that car is ugly.

17. Scude

Scude Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Ferrari
    16M would suffice ;) haha

18. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #18 PorscheGuy, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I agree with the Mayor...get the Barchetta. It is an awesome machine and has the most upside potential.

20. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
  21. tmario

tmario Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The Barchetta has to be a 3rd car! I love the look but it is the most impractical car I can think of. Take my input with a grain of salt as I have the SA and a GTO but I love the SA with the ability to use the top if you need and it looks good.

If I had to boil down to one car, the 16M might be it. It has the rawness, and performance and top down fun. The SA does not have the raw sound of the v8's. (I had a CS before).

22. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff