Superamerica... | FerrariChat

Superamerica...

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by PorscheGuy, Jun 27, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PorscheGuy

PorscheGuy Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have been staring at these for a while now. Anyone follow this market closely? What's the right range for the superamerica price? Have these cars been depreciating or have they stayed fairly flat?

2. prd575

prd575 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 11, 2012
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Philippe Dorier
    Thanks for posting this thread.
    I have been looking at some SAs for a few weeks now.
    I certainly don't pretend to be in expert.
    My findings so far are that asking prices for a low mileage car seem to go from 180K to 250K
    All cars I looked at seemed to be in pristine condition which makes it hard to understand why the price range is so wide.
    Actually in case, you have not yet spotted it, you have one right next to you at:
    http://www.straightlineautomotivegroup.com/web/used/Ferrari-SUPER-AMERICA-2005-Dallas/989648/
    One thing I have heard from several knowleagable Ferrari people, is that the roof can be a problem and if it becomes one it can be very expensive to fix (I was quoted a replacement cost of 38K).
    That's about all I know right know.
    I have not looked at it long enough to have a good idea of the price tend.
    Hopefully, some real experts will join your thread.

3. PSTexas

PSTexas Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Southlake TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    straightline has had this car for a while now - i am thinking 6 months or so.

they had it at c&c a while back - pretty nice car - does seem like a lot of $$ for a car that is 7 or so years old.

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I laugh when I see Barchetta and Superamerica prices. They seem totally irrational for what you get: A 550 or 575M without a roof, and in the case of the Superamerica, a Rube Goldberg folding roof contraption that looks like it was designed to fail, causing spectacular expense.

Obviously, I'm not a fan... or an expert in Ferrari supply and demand dynamics. lol.

Cheers,

George

5. PSTexas

PSTexas Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Southlake TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    maybe we can get west coast customs to cut the roof off of a 575 and end up with a better product -

call it a super amercia ;-)

6. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    Totally agree. But then, "rational" and "Ferrari" really don't belong in the same sentence.

I remember when I was a kid, visiting a Ferrari dealer in California and thinking it was crazy for someone to pay $5,000 more for a Daytona spider compared to the coupe. Only a total nut-job would do that.

BTW, I, abandoning all pretext of practicality as well as rationality, really enjoy the Barchetta I bought a few months ago...

7. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    seem to sit quite awhile...and show up at 'other' dealers

iirc...the grigio at straightlineauto had some damage/paintwork...started at $210k...now it sits at 180ish...not many options.

silverstone/bordeux at naples started at another dealer for $175ish...disappeared...only to show up at naples few months later for $210

imo...they range betw $180-$230K bases on options(carbon/hgtc/etc)/mileage/color combo

suspect they actually trade closer to $165-190K

first white one seen currently listed on dupont.

8. olymkrl

olymkrl Rookie

Mar 6, 2005
    Morro Bay, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Troy Raynor
    I also agree Rock, I am real happy with my S/A bought couple years ago .

9. prd575

prd575 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 11, 2012
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Philippe Dorier
    No roof issues?

10. prd575

prd575 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 11, 2012
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Philippe Dorier
    Only 448 Barchettas and 559 SAs produced.
    That is surely a significant part of the price difference with the regular cars.

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Wow. I did not know the mintage was so low on those. That does explain a lot.

Cheers,

George

12. 2005575superamerica

May 11, 2011
    New York
    My roof and carrier (mechanism) was replaced prior to my purchase and I have both as spares.

Once in a blue moon, the ecu hiccups and I have to turn the car off and let it sit for a while and then all is good. I can manually lock the roof in the open position with an allen key but the system beeps continually.

In the worst case scenario, I wonder if the ecu can be deactivated and flip the roof manually. Very easy to do and you can lock it in the position with an allen key.

No motors, no electrical systems etc.

Someone a while back thought of making the roof out of carbon fibre. The only problem with that is the need for glass to view out of the rear view mirror.

I was a the dealer today and I parked next to a barchetta and really did a side by side comparison. Both are very special cars but for me the SA wins out if no no other resaon, being able to close the roof in seconds if it rains and today in this oppressive heat wave, we got stuck in traffic and the co-pilot and I needed to close the roof for A/C or fry.

There are many SA's with incredibly low milage because people thought they would be very collectable but I got mine with 8,200 miles put 4,000 on it last summer and have 2,000 more so far and it's not even July.

Drive them and enjoy.
    Buy art to look at or a Daytona Syder for an investment.

13. vancoops456

vancoops456 Karting

Dec 21, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    A. Van Coops
  14. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010
    Beautiful car.....Your PM box is full....

15. vancoops456

vancoops456 Karting

Dec 21, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    A. Van Coops
    Should be room in there now.

16. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Ping me. I'm interested

17. olymkrl

olymkrl Rookie

Mar 6, 2005
    Morro Bay, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Troy Raynor
    No issues with my roof to date.....===

18. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    this is a gorgeous car--only lacking gated 6-sp (i know, very very rare) or i would have bought it.
    bought a barchetta 4 mo ago and could not be happier---super car. i am waiting for a car like yours with manual 6-spd. yours really is one of the best good luck--do not worry about 'being that guy"---informational only!!

19. parothed97

parothed97 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Toronto
    I finally found a gated shifter in the colour combination I was looking for (Red/Tan); the car was delivered to me on Friday night. It took almost 4 months of research to get all of the service records. Why the dealer didn't do it is a mystery to me.

20. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    A gated Superamerica?

21. parothed97

Jan 19, 2008
    Toronto
    yes, few around but they are out there....

22. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Nice! What color is yours? GTC?

23. parothed97

Jan 19, 2008
    Toronto
    Red/Tan with GTC

24. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    blue pozzi/bordeaux 6sp-gated gtc 9k just sold miller motorcars ct. $205,900
    listed only 2-3 days, one-owner, traded for 458 spyder. just spoke with salesman

25. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I bought this car this morning! It's a damn unicorn.