Original Magnum PI 308 displayed at Universal Studios, Florida? | FerrariChat

Original Magnum PI 308 displayed at Universal Studios, Florida?

Discussion in '308/328' started by matumorales, Jul 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matumorales

matumorales Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
    #1 matumorales, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've first seen this car on the Universal Studios tour back in the late 90's, but it seems to still be around... does anybody have any input on the car? Is it a real Ferrari? Is it just a prop? Does it run at all?

The hood, and some other parts looks like they are fiberglass copies... the hood doesn't have the grill on it, and is a little distorted in the center... I remember it had that shape back then, and still does! There's also something wrong with the rear wheels offset, isn't it? And what is with those weird seats and dashboard?

Has anybody taken a closer look on that car? If it actually is an original 308, it'd be cool to get to know the chassis number on it, wouldn't it?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    interesting find. Door handles are missing and the window louvers look odd. Also looks like TRX style wheels.

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That car has been there for years now. It looks so replica but, maybe not.

4. Matthias Urban

Matthias Urban F1 World Champ

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    The Universal Studios used a few cars for the different seasons:

28251 - 79 Rosso Corsa/Black LHD, feat. in TV Series "Magnum P.I.", used for the first season

29109 - 79 Red/Tan LHD feat. in the TV Series Magnum, PI

34567 - 81 Red/Tan LHD US ZFFAA02A6B0034567 feat. in the TV Series Magnum, PI

57685 - 85 Red/Tan LHD US ZFFUA13A7F0057685 feat. in the TV Series Magnum, PI

I doubt that my list is complete because it is rumoured that some cars should have been crashed during filming, what in fact is not proven :) Btw., the pictured car looks very much like a Replica: wrong seats, wrong air intake on front hood a.s.o.

Matthias Urban

www.F-Register.com -The world's largest Ferrai Serial Number Database- Subscribe today to get access and to look for further celebrieties or movie films connected with Ferraris.

5. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    The front grills on the wings look angled...I'm thinkin' kit.

6. Playframe King

Playframe King Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2010
    UK
    I have a pic taken in 80's at Universal of me standing next to car - of that - with the Robin 1 llic plate - its a mockup of panels mounted on a spaceframe from memory - will dig out the pic from the archive

7. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #7 350HPMondial, Jul 10, 2012
  8. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #8 Matto, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    I'm voting prop/stunt car....Along with all of the named problems, the steering wheel angle looks really wrong, the rear top and window seal looks painted in and the airfoil is a warped mess..............and no niche for a badge on the nose (maybe to stay out of trouble with FNA). Probably a replica that they used for riskier scenes. I just saw a Season 6 episode where the goons clipped the right front corner with their car and the 308 fender, nose and bonnet (which should be steel) just shattered.....like fiberglass. The underside of the body material (primarily the bonnet) showing after the wreck was an uncharacteristic clean white. This might have been one of those cheap sacrificial cars for such a scene. It may not even have an engine, quarter glass, etc.....and they just positioned it for collisions and such. In the later seasons, crashes involving the 308 became more severe, so they probably had to come up with some mock-ups.

Even if it's a prop, it's still a cool piece of history. They should post a write-up about it.

9. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    WTF That ball of string is a fake ?

10. matumorales

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
    Hmm... I don't remember that ball of string... it was close to the "Bulldog Café" from "The Rocketeer" movie... between an old car used for "Dick Tracy" I guess and something weird that looked like a battle spaceship... I'll dig out other pictures I took back then...

11. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    I heard they used about 10-12 308s durring the filmings of Magnum PI. Some were damaged, some were modified so Tom Seleck could fit in them and some were used for stunts at a distance from the camera, in other words modified.

Also, the pictured 308 is missing the amber lenses for the front turn signals and it's missing the rear side marker that is put on U.S. Ferraris....

12. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    They also had an 83 qv that was used. I don't remember ever seeing a 308 with a black interior on the show only tan interiors but maybe the 79 with black interior was used for exterior shots only.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    They never used a car with a black interior

14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I was waiting for you to pitch in Dr. Tommy!

15. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Also 51941 (red/tan QV) belongs to one of my clients.

I believe there was also a green 308 that appeared in an episode or two.

16. matumorales

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
  17. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    They had an episode where Robin Master's troubled nephew stayed at the Estate and he used a green 308 I believe it was a QV.

18. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul

Seems to have the Designo Pininfarina badge on the flank, though. Why would they have that and not the other badging in a rough prop for long shot action scenes?

19. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Also had an episode with Carol Burnett and her charector was posing as a private eye and she drove a red 308.
    While we are on the subject the question always comes up was a 328 ever used in the series and the answer is no.

20. matumorales

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
    Yep, that is correct. Nice episode, can't get tired of watching that one... it has a nice car chase involving said green QV and a Pontiac ;-)

21. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    I'm more impressed by the "mule" that's next to it, which won't run with 5 by the way. :D

22. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Isn't that badge on the wrong side, or did some come with the badge on the passenger side? Mine is on the drivers side.

23. Playframe King

Playframe King Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2010
    UK
    #23 Playframe King, Jul 10, 2012
    found it ! how young do I look?

24. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    I like the couple making out in the background.

miketuason likes this.
  25. Matthias Urban

Matthias Urban F1 World Champ

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    interior probably redone? I have pictures of the car from 2007 with Black int. and aftermarket rims, CA-registred at that time.

Matthias Urban

www.F-Register.com