ALMS July 19-22 | FerrariChat

ALMS July 19-22

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ferrarilover, Jul 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    #1 ferrarilover, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Wow good thing I ordered my tickets early. Guess I'm not eligible to recieve 50% off becuase of that.

3. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I'll be racing there that weekend.

4. HHogan

HHogan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2008
    Mississauga
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Which race? I'll be heading up with a few friends for the weekend.

5. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Ditto. I'll be there most likely Thursday night or Friday morning setting up a tent. If any Ferrari Chat members are attending let me know so that I can allocate a few cold beers.

6. RacerNika

RacerNika Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    Yes Brian.... Are you racing ALMS? Or just a national support series race? Let us know so we can cheer you on! It was great seeing your better half not too long ago.....she is amazing!

7. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I'm racing in one of the US support series, sadly not in a Ferrari. Ping me or PM me for details, I was told to expect a final schedule tomorrow.

8. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    Great racing here folks but a few of us are going to the Pittsburg vintage grand prix Instead.
    Both good racing in my opinion just different eras really.

Gary
    Espada

9. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Little disappointed to only three P1 cars and three P2 cars in the entry list so far. GT should be a good battle but I'm really hoping for the support series races to bring the action this year.

10. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    We'll be there cheering you on in full force. ;)

11. jfam

jfam Karting

Jan 6, 2012
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    John Ford
    Any photos of this event

12. Titanboy_24

Titanboy_24 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas Scarfone
    #12 Titanboy_24, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    What a great weekend! I have quite the burn going on from the heat/sun filled weekend.

The renovations taking place are looking extremely positive so I'm quite excited to see how it progresses. Always great to walk the track again to really feel the challenges the track provides to the drivers.

Some highlights:
    -16 year old Tristan Nunaz had engine trouble and therefore qualified last. His car however could not be fixed in time so he had to use his teammates vehicle (who couldn't make it to this race). He came from dead last and finished in 3rd place with the race ending under caution.
    - Sasha Anis from CTCC was the quickest in his race 1 but went out hard in turn 2. They some how were able to fix the car for race 2 in which he had to start near the back of the pack. He took his car to the top of podium and set a new lap record in the process.
    -Mazda MX5 challenge had a great battle with p1 and p2 really close all race but nothing really materialized. The vehicles in p3 and p4 fought extremely hard passing each other quite a fair bit of times.
    - Porsche GT3 had a great battle in race 2 for the overall lead. P1 and p2 fought the whole race and always kept it interesting for the outright win.

I was very happy with the support races this year and stayed around until the very end to make sure I catch all of them.

American Le Mans Highlights
    - Pickett racing took the win quite commandingly, imo, over Dyson racing. This is the first time I've seen the HPD car in person and that car is super fast!
    - LMP2 had a great battle going all the way to the very end. Witnessing them touch at the exit of turn 5 with neither sustaining any major damage was breath taking.
    - GT cars had Porsche win but they were suspended due to technical inspection. This gave the win to the 458 Italia of Scott Sharp & Johannes Van Overbeek.

Direct Link to article: http://www.alms.com/articles/muscle-milk-extreme-speed-big-winners-canada

14. RacerNika

RacerNika Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    Sorry about your race weekend Brian.....14th out of 18 cars.....5 seconds off the pace. That's so unlike you

15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Agreed. Having seen Brian at many corners and judging his entry speed and general slip angles throughout the bends he was certainly driving near the sharp end of the field. There must have been mechanical issues to account for the lack of pace. Racing can be cruel sometimes and for sure the result was not indicative of Brian's capabilities given the quality of the field in question.

16. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Great seeing you, Rob, and thank you for that introduction.

If anyone can reach "RacerNika" please feel free to let Anitka know that perhaps she should spend less time behind the keyboard and live up to her screen name and do racing. Also, let her know she can get the details about the race from my wife. In the meantime, "RacerNika" will remain on my ignore list.

17. spining360

spining360 Rookie

Oct 22, 2011
    was AIM not there this year

18. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    AIM runs grand am and formula Mazda. Neither raced there last weekend

19. RacerNika

RacerNika Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    Whoa......sorry Brian...I'm at a loss for the reason for your comment.

And as for my racing career ( lol If you can ever call it that) with a 20 month old at home my priorities are not lap times but nap times. I don't know why you are so hostile to me when I only wished you the best on and off the track.

20. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Someone tell Anitka that if she's still trolling, I'm not listening. As well, my wife still hasn't heard from her, which is surprising given Anitka's apparent all around good intentions.

21. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    How many fans watched this race?

22. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

No idea, Jim. I haven't seen any published numbers.

23. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Generally are there a lot of race fans in Canada for Sports Car Racing? In the US it seems to have fallen way off. Sebring wasn't even on regular TV. I remember going to Canada to watch Can Am races and there were a lot of fans but I'm dating myself.

Great to see some FCHATTERS actually race.

Best

24. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Quebec is MAD for racing - see F1 Montreal, Trois-Rivieres and the NASCAR/Grand Am Montreal events. The Canadian Touring Car series is made up of mostly Quebeckers.

The rest of Canada, not so much. We may see a resurgence of interest here with the new ownership of Mosport, now Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, and the improvements already under way. It's clear they want to attract bigger events like a Nationwide or Grand Am date.

Thanks, Jim, there's nothing quite like racing a sports car.